Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i love that about maroney. her face always says, "bitch i would cut you for an extra one hundredth of a pt."
    Maroney on one event and a broken toe is already the star of the gym (with Iordache ) for me. Would love her to come back next year, post Olympics as top US AAer.

Fck me though, Ponor looks hungry. She;s going to be rock solid and tough to beat. If she wins another gold, it'll be big news.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    The 1991 Michigan basketball recruiting class. Incredibly famous in the rest of the sports world.

Honestly, never heard of them. I thought you were going to say the guys from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post

Honestly, never heard of them. I thought you were going to say the guys from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

actually i think you are right, the guys on Queer Eye were sometimes called the fab 5 on the show.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Late with this but - the last time I saw the US gymnasts in the opening ceremonies was in 1984. Mary Lou, Marianne, Tim, Peter, Mitch and James were all on camera during the parade of nations. Didn't seem to hurt their competition. It was in the daytime heat too.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    There is no asterisk next to Maroney's name here: http://www.fig-docs.com/microsites/l...l_wag_qual.pdf
    If you are doing two vaults to qualify for competition 3, you need to register for that. I'm very concerned that someone at USAG has messed up and she won't be allowed to do her second vault tomorrow...

vCash
    Wonderful for the men today. I so hope their luck holds for Monday.

vCash
    The USA Men's Team Finals line up is out:

FX Leyva, Mikulak, Dalton
    PH Leyva, Mikulak, Orozco
    SR Dalton, Horton, Orozco
    VT Orozco, Mikulak, Dalton
    PB Mikulak, Orozco, Leyva
    HB Orozco, Horton, Leyva

Seems like they got it pretty much exactly right. Interesting that Leyva is now leading off PH and Dalton is going on rings.

vCash
    I hadn't seen very much of the current USA gymnastic ladies before today's qualifying, but I was really impressed! I have a few questions, I have tried to find them out by googling but I think most of you in this thread can probably explain it a bit better! Could someone tell me who chooses which events the ladies do in qualifying - & did Kyla want to do all 4 to have a chance at AA, or does she only do 3? Would McKayla normally do all 4 events if not for her injury? Or do they just go for Team and EF? And are they likely to choose the competitiors for the Team event based on today's results, or try and rest the girls in AA and not push them?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    It depends on a lot of factors. Most of it is who will score the highest. So Kyla is an AA gymnast but she isn't doing the Amanar and she's not one of the top 3 AA gymnasts in the US so they would have had to take away an AA spot from Aly, Jordyn, or Gabby to give her a shot and she's not doing a strong enough vault for that to be worth it. McKayla does do all four events but she is not very reliable on beam and doesn't have a lot of difficulty on bars so she would only have done floor in addition to vault today if she were healthy.

They will definitely not be resting anyone to give them a shot at AA or TF. The goal for this team is team gold and they will put up their best events on each apparatus. Today's results may affect that but it will mostly have been decided by who has been the best on each apparatus leading up to these games.

vCash
    Kyla is a good AAer, but right now, she only has a double twisting Yurchenko (DTY) vault, as opposed to the other girls who have an Amanar (2.5 twists). Kyla has done an Amanar, but it hasn't been consistent lately.

McKayla is the 2011 U.S. AA silver medalist, but even if she wasn't injured, I don't think she would have done UB or BB here. The 5 member team makes it tricky, but I think if she were healthy, she would have done VT/FX and Kyla would have only done UB/BB.

For team finals, I assume the VT lineup will be the same (Douglas/Wieber/Maroney), as will the UB lineup (Wieber/Ross/Douglas). BB will be interesting to see if they keep Douglas in the TF, or use Ross/Wieber/Raisman instead. FX is likely to stay Douglas/Wieber/Raisman.

vCash
    Thank you both
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567