Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Who used Mirai's FS music in the past? I want to say Jeremy Abbott, but I could be wrong.
    Miki Ando at the 2009 Worlds, and Jeremy Abbott in the 2009-2010 season.

vCash
    Ricky looks SO much more relaxed so far this season. He looks as if he'd learned the same lesson Ashley Wagner learned about taking her time and pacing herself. May it do him as much good as it's done her!

ETA: Also, would someone please remind me what his FS music is? I've forgotten.
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 08-06-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Ricky's music choices for this year, according to IceNetwork:

SP Music: "With or Without You" by U2
    FS Music: "The Wild Ones" by Lou Busch, "Harlem Nocturne" by Earle Hagen and Dick Rogers, "Rooftops" by Danny Elfman

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Some more thoughts:

* Stephen Carriere is really much more interesting in person than he comes across on TV or on YouTube. Very fast and powerful around the ice, and his jumps are beautiful and very strong when on.
    * Sean Rabbitt has made huge improvements this year (and keeps improving year on year), and it made all the more sense when I heard he'd just switched to Tammy Gambill. With continued progress, I could easily see him breaking into the top 2 groups of skaters at Nats this year.
    * It's good to see Mirai looking solid and steady at this point in the season, but I'd love to see some competitive fire and killer instinct in her. Looking forward to seeing her work on speed, attack, and holding out positions more (for example, the ina bauers are only done halfway now and seem to last for only a split second).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by legjumper View Post
    Ricky's music choices for this year, according to IceNetwork:

SP Music: "With or Without You" by U2
    FS Music: "The Wild Ones" by Lou Busch, "Harlem Nocturne" by Earle Hagen and Dick Rogers, "Rooftops" by Danny Elfman
    Thank you!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    SEAN RABBIT. OH. EMM. GEE. Good for him!!
    ITA!! Sean's musicality and artistry make him such a pleasure to watch, and every year I am more impressed. Love the improved technique on his flip and lutz takeoffs, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Thanks so much for posting the vids!!!

I am so happy that Mirai has gone back to her old flip entrance. It was fine, and they never should have tampered with it.

I am equally happy to hear someone skate to the "Organ Symphony" and actually use the part with the organ!

If she can work out the URs in the second half, this program has some real scoring potential.
    I'm happy to see that she landed all of her jumps, although, yes, a few looked a little UR. I'm not a fan of the choreography, though. In particular, the back spiral to windmill thing she does at the end of the choreo sequence looks kind of lame, and the section between the 1-second Ina Bauer and the 2nd 3Lz looks like she's just skating from one end of the rink to the other so that she can skate back to the other end again for the lutz (which is, of course, what she's doing, but that is supposed to be disguised by choreography). I thought Vanessa's choreography and interpretation were much better developed.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 08-07-2012 at 12:22 AM.

vCash
    The Glacier Falls Men's LP was an instructive competition to attend because the field was big enough that you could see clear demarcations of talent and development between each flight of skaters.

The first flight had skaters with the lowest level of skating skills and minimal choreography. I remember feeling like one skater in particular just seemed to skate in circles around the rink, going from one end to the other to try to land jumps. Relation to the music was practically non-existent.

The second flight had skaters with noticeably better skating skills and some individually good elements, but they had difficulty putting the elements together to form a program that really flowed or expressed the music.

The third flight had skaters with even better skating skills and more technical ability. The programs were starting to try to express things, but there wasn't enough execution to leave an overall impression. (Sean Rabbitt excepted!)

The final flight had the best skating skills and the most technically capable skaters, and also programs that could captivate. Skaters in this group could express the character of the music, combine the elements into something that didn't seem like just a collection of elements, and also show some performance ability. (Brandon Mroz excepted!)

Overall it was a great experience, and I will gladly go again next year if there's a lineup that's as good as this one.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I was doubtful of Dornbush's SP music choice, but it actually works. I didn't care that much for his FS in the video, but I'm sure it will improve a lot over the course of the season.

Lurved, lurved, lurved Jason Brown's free program. Amazing transitions, great choreography!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash

vCash
    The videos started going up on Icenetwork.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Novice Ladies Final is the only missing PDF file.

I've included Senior/Junior SP & FS as well as some TES/PCS scores here: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...allenge-pairs/

Quote Originally Posted by sk8indel View Post
    Here's the link: http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=68371
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I watched the competition so far only selectively, but it was hugely enjoyable.
    Dornbush- what a great SP for him. Totally right direction to take. Contrast of slow and fast movements very effective ( my only nitpicking is that he finishes slow movements beautifully, now he needs to finish fast movements just a tiny bit more so that they do not look sloppy ). What a gorgeous Quad. Loved the SP!
    Brown- love his SP, as well, though maybe not the costume.
    Sean Rabbitt was awesome, so joyful and musical. Also awesome, in a totally different way, Jonathan Cassar. Even with the tinkly piano version, his "Les Miz" will be mezmerizing.
    More to enjoy later Such a nice gift, a good summer competition.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Brown- love his SP, as well, though maybe not the costume.
    Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one. I was hoping the nice quality video from IN would show that it was really just the other angle that made it look not so good.

...I'll take UMBS angle thanks. It's horrible!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8indel View Post
    Unfortunately, something happened to the aspect ratio in the conversion/uploading so all of the skaters look squashed. But since we never get IN vids of club comps, I'm not complaining. I watched a few of the Junior Ladies last night; will watch more over the weekend. I like Mariah Bell's West Side Story FS. Katia Shpilband has 2 nice programs, that have a lot of potential, if she can get the jumps clean.

vCash
    Polina Edmunds absolutely killed in in the SP. That's a performance that could win Junior Worlds. Wow! Selena Zhao and Avery Kurtz were also nice to watch. Kaitlyn Gaither is a beautiful skater with incredible skating skills and beautifully long lines. She's a stunner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Unfortunately, something happened to the aspect ratio in the conversion/uploading so all of the skaters look squashed. But since we never get IN vids of club comps, I'm not complaining. I watched a few of the Junior Ladies last night; will watch more over the weekend. I like Mariah Bell's West Side Story FS. Katia Shpilband has 2 nice programs, that have a lot of potential, if she can get the jumps clean.
    The videos were shot in 4:3 SD..I guess the conversion to 16:9 may cause that "squashed" look. I kept looking for the aspect control on my laptop, but it dawned on me that I don't have one, it's on my TV!

My compliments to Hurd Video for shooting these, and to IN for getting it done so fast. The competition ended on Sunday night, the DVDs were FedEx'd on Tuesday, in New York on Wednesday, and here it is today (Thursday) and they are on IceNetwork!!

Nice job!!
    Last edited by crzesk8dad; 08-09-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Mariah Bell is so adorable! All the coaches watching can't help but smile at her skating. She looks like she's almost ready for the JGP. Just needs to get a little more stamina to finish off her second 3F and 3Z cleanly.

vCash
    Little Karen Chen is *amazing*! She's going to be like Elena Radionova, beating all the best junior skaters domestically (including Julia Lipnitskaya) but not being old enough to compete at JGP yet. Is that 3Z-3R she attempted at the beginning?! The 2A-3T in the second half (!) looks close to being rotated. She had such good height/speed on the 2A, just needs a little more to get that 3T clean. I love how she can just *fly* across the ice in her tiny little framework. Her spins are so good, too, especially the last layback spin into Bielmann, wow! Plus really good musicality/performance and choreography. Just astonishingly good at her age!

vCash
    Polina Edmunds looks ready for JGP! Elena Radionova will definitely have some competition.

Title-less
    vCash
    I hope Edmunds or Bell gets a JGP (sending both is probably too much to ask for).

Not as impressed with K Chen as I hoped, but she's still young.

I loved J Ten's sp (I just started with senior men's short)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast