Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Jr FD top 3 were announced as Bent/MacKeen, Collins/Seymour, Penkov/Proulx-Sénécal.
    I caught the last team - Desveaux/Razgulajevs who scored 61.71 for 6th.
    ETA official final results: http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...2012/jfdrs.pdf

Sr FD start order:
    1 Alissandra Aronow / Collin Brubaker USA/USA
    2 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier Scarboro FSC/Scarboro FSC CO
    3 Mélissande Dumas / David Mackay Perry CPA Laval/Club De Patinage Des Deux-Rives CO
    4 Alexandra Paul / Mitchell Islam Barrie SC/Barrie SC CO
    5 Federica Bernardi / Christopher Mior Italy/Italy
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yay new season FDs!!!

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Gilles and Poirier broke 96. I really liked their program. Standing ovation!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    How would you describe their music?

After 2 teams:
    Gilles/Poirier 96.57
    Aronow/Brubaker USA 74.20
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    How would you describe their music?
    ANNOYING!

vCash
    Gilles and Poirier had some really interesting lifts and transitions in their program. Like last year's FD better but this is still interesting. They are carving out a unique look for themselves. Paul Poirier looked amazing in this dance. It will be interesting to see how they're received by international judges.
    Last edited by Rafter; 08-19-2012 at 07:44 PM.

vCash
    I think 96 is a bit generous for G/P, but that's to my untrained eye. Their lifts are interesting, but they still come across to me as a highlight moves/lifts strung together in a program. It just seemed kind of open, but that could be due to the style of music/program. It will be interesting to see how it develops over the season.

P/I 92.43 and they didn't have any major issues! Good for them!! I would describe their FD as charming.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Gilles/Poirier 96.57
    Paul/Islam 92.43 (The Legend of 1900 soundtrack by Ennio Morricone - started out jazzy, ended lyrically)
    Aronow/Brubaker USA 74.20 (Tango medley)
    Dumas/Mackay Perry 66.36

ETA:
    Bernardi/Mior ITA 73.03 (4th) - started with "Papa Can You Hear Me" from Yentl and ended with a familiar waltz - name??
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-19-2012 at 07:53 PM.

vCash
    Bernardi/Mior's last piece in their FD is My Sweet and Tender Beast

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Gilles/Poirier 96.57
    Paul/Islam 92.43 (The Legend of 1900 soundtrack by Ennio Morricone - started out jazzy, ended lyrically)
    Aronow/Brubaker USA 74.20 (Tango medley)
    Dumas/Mackay Perry 66.36

Bernardi/Mior ITA - started with "Papa Can You Hear Me" from Yentl and ended with a familiar waltz - name??
    I believe the waltz at the end is "My Sweet and Tender Beast."

ETA: Oops, shan already answered it.

vCash
    Hey great minds think alike!!

I love that piece! Although I never would have thought to put it with Papa Can You Hear Me.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks, I always mix up my Russian-sounding waltzes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    ANNOYING!
    I can see how people could find Gilles/Poirier's music annoying, but I found it strangely compelling. The only thing I didn't like is that it sounded like an old recording (or maybe just an old-fashioned style?), but maybe that's on purpose? No idea what it was. I was drawn into their program and enjoyed it, but didn't love their outfits - his was too plain for me and I never find gold that attractive on the ice. (She would look great in that at a party, though!)

I enjoyed Paul/Islam a lot and I've always found them really boring in the past. I thought it was a nice mix of lyrical and more perky fun sections and found it quite charming. Loved their outfits.

moving right along
    vCash
    I find this guy's Otonal packaging more annoying (Christopher Berneck). But to his credit, his use of arms is pretty nice. Work on the jumps, honey. xoxo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Gilles and Poirier had some really interesting lifts and transitions in their program. Like last year's FD better but this is still interesting. They are carving out a unique look for themselves. Paul Poirier looked amazing in this dance. It will be interesting to see how they're received by international judges.
    If they can nail their performances in their first few international outings, they could be off to the races. IMO Carol Lane has been clever to stake out new turf for them - turf that doesn't rely on years together to build unison and matching technique, but instead uses the excitement factors of unusual moves and choreo. Another positive is that both of them skate with aggression and confidence. They will probably become FSU favourites in no time - the first voidy North Americans?

ETA: I wonder if it would be possible to re-record the last few musical notes - even just the last one - to resolve into a triumphal note rather than one that leaves a sense of incompletion.
    Last edited by flowerpower; 08-19-2012 at 08:19 PM.

moving right along
    vCash
    Men, please skate your programs like you believe in them. The first two sr. guys out seem almost apologetic in demeanor. Eyes down to the ice. No 'ta-daah' to anything they are doing. A little conviction, kids. xoxoox

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    If they can nail their performances in their first few international outings, they could be off to the races. IMO Carol Lane has been clever to stake out new turf for them - turf that doesn't rely on years together to build unison and matching technique, but instead uses the excitement factors of unusual moves and choreo. Another positive is that both of them skate with aggression and confidence.
    Good points. I agree they skate confidently and aggressively. This is the thing that is lacking with P&I IMO. They (and especially her) need to up the "oomph" factor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Men, please skate your programs like you believe in them. The first two sr. guys out seem almost apologetic in demeanor. Eyes down to the ice. No 'ta-daah' to anything they are doing. A little conviction, kids. xoxoox
    so much popping.

ETA- can anyone else hear that cricket like blipping in the music?

moving right along
    vCash
    Hmmm. Caden Armstrong's program had some nice moments.

It must be nerve-wracking debuting a new program in front of an audience.

moving right along
    vCash
    How tall is Shaquille? He has a way of folding up his legs during jumps that makes me think he's got a lot of length to deal with.

His performance quality seems quite natural. Nice and dancey. xoxoxo

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast