100 37.45%
  • Virtue & Moir

25 9.36%
  • Davis & White

55 20.60%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Navka Kostomarov did much better at the Olympics, and were the rightful winners, though I would have had Delschoes 1st and Denstas 2nd in the FD.
    D-S had so many mistakes at 2006 OG.... I even think at 2006 WCh they were gift gold, because didnt show clean programs. But at the same time i think they must win gold at 2004 WCh and even if there FD in 2005 wasnt "everyone cup of tea" there skating quality were one of the best at that WCh.
    And in 2005 a lot of people thought Del-Sh must win FD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    The best Paso Doble of the season, and definitely a beautiful Viennese Waltz.
    Too few of us appreciate those amazing Compulsories. I miss CD

vCash
    The work of delobel&schoenfelder is far ahead of many of the teams remaining of this list (if not all). As a pure skating perspective they don't have anything to envy to any of these teams. They just lack the accolades of the others as they were never rewarded properly by the judges and were severely undermarked for most of their careers
    Anyway, the range of music, styles, voids, originality...is far ahead of everyone else on this list, save Grishuk and Platov perhaps

vCash
    Well, with only a day left, it's looks like it's inevitable. A least we enjoyed a mini Delobel and Schoenfelder retrospective, which was nice.
    IMO the only thing about Isabelle and Olivier that could be a factor that might count against them was their lack of chemistry with one another. However the rest of what they did was so good that for me it cancelled out the fact that DelShoes didn't have that passionate, romantic or just plain great friends loving skating together vibe that many of the other teams had. Or at the very least those many other great things minimized their sometimes not being tuned in to one another.
    For me, the way they moved together created the chemistry. Their best performances were the ones where they were both really into the ice and skating freely. They could create an incredible sense of power and "fullness" with their skating that few couples could. Olivier in particular I found incredible to watch. To see this big lanky guy get down in his knees and create so much power and flow and use his body to create such striking shapes has always been mesmerizing to me.

I can understand people not loving Isabelle, but I always felt that Olivier was a unique talent and never really got enough recognition. He's probably my favorite individual ice dancer on this list ahead of even Grishuk, Platov, and Krylova. I *hated* the way the end of his career went down, especially with the kind of "Ok, thanks, bye!" reception they got at the Olympics. I also hate that the few times I've seen them skate as pros, they look like they barely skate together anymore, and she's not even in that good of shape. He's at least still great to watch. I'd rather he pull a Bourne and skate solo.
    Last edited by casken; 07-08-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: freaking grammer

vCash
    Although they never won an olympic medal, there are still people who remember them. For example, the commentators of German eurosport were talking about their Frida programme from 2005 during the SD in Nice. Hendryk Schamberger even said that they made history with that programme, so I think people don't forget so easily what they brought to ice dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta24 View Post
    Although they never won an olympic medal, there are still people who remember them. For example, the commentators of German eurosport were talking about their Frida programme from 2005 during the SD in Nice. Hendryk Schamberger even said that they made history with that programme, so I think people don't forget so easily what they brought to ice dance.
    Not sure. This voting show people respect dancing technick and dancing quality more, them unusual choreo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    For me, the way they moved together created the chemistry. Their best performances were the ones where they were both really into the ice and skating freely. They could create an incredible sense of power and "fullness" with their skating that few couples could.
    I agree they had excellent chemistry. I think people often confuse having chemistry with being romantic on ice. Delschoes didn't do too many programs portraying romance, but they definetely had chemistry.

vCash
    I also think Delobel & Schoenfelder had chemistry.

vCash
    When we will start next round?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    When we will start next round?
    The poll closes at 07-09-2012 at 09:51 PM, so I guess tomorrow night/Tuesday/morning (I think the time listed is US eastern standard).

Since it is clear who's going, how do you guys think the rest will shake out?

Looks like it'll be between D&W and N&K next round. N&K do have the better record so probably will stay. I hope DenSta outlast them, since I think they should have had N&K's 2004 title and they are just better quality.

K&O vs DenSta is interesting.... both have two time world champions and were largely overshadowed by another team. K&O have the edge with an Olympic medal, and they are better skaters, but I strongly prefer DenSta's body of work, so it's really tough.

IMO the top 3 should definitely be the 3 OGM couples. It's not because they have the OGM (I voted out other OGMs in early rounds in other disciplines), but they really are the three strongest couples for me. G&P have the best record which is going to be hard to beat, but they have a lot of haters too. G&P definitely win for versatility, A&P for creativity, and V&M for the most effortless skating (better lines and lifts than G&P, better and more secure footwork than A&P), but they suffer a bit from a perceived lack of innovation. I guess you could make the argument that K&O deserve to be in the final 3 over A&P, though IMO by the end A&P's work was stronger. K&O were not able to pass G&P in 98 (as G&P were able to do to U&Z in 1994), and were already being pressured by A&P in 1999.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    The poll closes at 07-09-2012 at 09:51 PM, so I guess tomorrow night/Tuesday/morning (I think the time listed is US eastern standard).

Looks like it'll be between D&W and N&K next round. N&K do have the better record so probably will stay. I hope DenSta outlast them, since I think they should have had N&K's 2004 title and they are just better quality.

K&O vs DenSta is interesting.... both have two time world champions and were largely overshadowed by another team. K&O have the edge with an Olympic medal, and they are better skaters, but I strongly prefer DenSta's body of work, so it's really tough.

IMO the top 3 should definitely be the 3 OGM couples. It's not because they have the OGM (I voted out other OGMs in early rounds in other disciplines), but they really are the three strongest couples for me. G&P have the best record which is going to be hard to beat, but they have a lot of haters too. G&P definitely win for versatility, A&P for creativity, and V&M for the most effortless skating (better lines and lifts than G&P, better and more secure footwork than A&P), but they suffer a bit from a perceived lack of innovation. I guess you could make the argument that K&O deserve to be in the final 3 over A&P, though IMO by the end A&P's work was stronger. K&O were not able to pass G&P in 98 (as G&P were able to do to U&Z in 1994), and were already being pressured by A&P in 1999.
    Thanks!
    I think G-P will be a clear winners. And i think top 3 will be 1. G-P. 2. A-P. 3. K-O.
    I must to say i dont like a lot off G-P programs. I love 3 - Libertango, Rock-n-roll in 1994 and "Feelings begins". I strongly dislike Latin FD and Quickstep FD (1995, 1996 FDs). But i respect them, becasue they could change situation and left Linichuck for show something really innovated and fight for there second OG so hard.

As for K-O. I feel like they could have much better results with another programs. They really used so many different styles, but could you imaging how great Anjelika could be in classic ballet?

A-P... I think they overused drama, but this were high-quality drama. Marina made all this by herself, she worked so hard. But if Krylova skated at 2002 OG i think K-O derseve gold more, then A-P.

vCash

The poll results right now indicate it will probably be Virtue & Moir vs Denkova & Stayviski before Krylova & Ovsiannikov are in any danger. I am not surprised at that, many felt K&O were better than G&P at their peaks, and then they were robbed of more titles and medals by her back injury. I think we will see them at the end, and possibly even winning.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Thanks!
    I think G-P will be a clear winners. And i think top 3 will be 1. G-P. 2. A-P. 3. K-O.
    I must to say i dont like a lot off G-P programs. I love 3 - Libertango, Rock-n-roll in 1994 and "Feelings begins". I strongly dislike Latin FD and Quickstep FD (1995, 1996 FDs). But i respect them, becasue they could change situation and left Linichuck for show something really innovated and fight for there second OG so hard.
    I don't like their 95 and 96 FDs much either, but they also had some excellent programs before they won major titles, such as in 1992 and 1993. Had they kept in the same ballroomy direction in 1997, I'm sure they would have lost to K&O. They absolutely needed to innovate at that time, and they did it. G&P were very very good at anticipating/creating the trends and beating everyone to the punch, kind of like Madonna does in pop music.

And I agree something more classical would've suited K&O. Their exhibition to Tosca is one of my favorite programs from them.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The poll results right now indicate it will probably be Virtue & Moir vs Denkova & Stayviski before Krylova & Ovsiannikov are in any danger. I am not surprised at that, many felt K&O were better than G&P at their peaks, and then they were robbed of more titles and medals by her back injury. I think we will see them at the end, and possibly even winning.
    Sometimes I kind of feel like K&O are treated as ice dance martyrs, with their potential and perceived wuzrobbing outweighing what they actually accomplished. IMO they very well might have lost to A&P by 2000 (their Carmina Burana, as seen in galas, was not as good as A&P's and Worlds were in France). Obviously there would have been a lot of politiking from both Russia and France, but I'm not so sure they would've won in SLC.

vCash
    And I agree something more classical would've suited K&O. Their exhibition to Tosca is one of my favorite programs from them.
    I like "Spartacus" too (Krylova-Fedorov skated it in exibitions).
    I think Krylova could be best Tosca in ice dance ever. Sad they didnt skate FD on this music with Oleg.

vCash

Such a pity that Krylova and Ovsiannikov had to retire. I actually loved their Drum Beat dance.
    I agree that the final four should be those four, but I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for in the end. I think the final two should be Virtue and Moir vs Grishuk and Platov. That's going to be really hard, but I think that Virtue and Moir should win out. If only Grishuk and Platov could have finished The Feeling Begins on time, I may have supported them even more.

vCash
    I like "Spartacus" too (Krylova-Fedorov skated it in exibitions).
    I think Krylova could be best Tosca in ice dance ever. Sad they didnt skate FD on this music with Oleg.
    Maybe is not correct to compare Gala with FD but although Linichuk got her dream to create Free Dances based on “Spartacus” and “Tosca” some how I like the following two choreographies better than Domnina/Shabalin’s and Belbin/Agosto‘s versions. And Angelica of course is incredible and outshined her partners in both performances.

K/F-“Spatacus”-1993 WC EX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzGZ2HJjxsA

K/O-“Tosca” 1996 WC EX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY_9DG1QA40

vCash
    Sometimes I kind of feel like K&O are treated as ice dance martyrs, with their potential and perceived wuzrobbing outweighing what they actually accomplished. IMO they very well might have lost to A&P by 2000 (their Carmina Burana, as seen in galas, was not as good as A&P's and Worlds were in France). Obviously there would have been a lot of politiking from both Russia and France, but I'm not so sure they would've won in SLC.
    I agree they would have lost Worlds to A&P in 2000 95% likely. After that year all bets are off. Fusar Poli & Margarlio's ridiculous rise hopefully would have never happened though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree they would have lost Worlds to A&P in 2000 95% likely. After that year all bets are off. Fusar Poli & Margarlio's ridiculous rise hopefully would have never happened though.
    Definitely.
    Also, I don't think that AP's MLK dance would have won gold unless Linichuk gave KO an aboriginal dance FD...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    I can understand people not loving Isabelle, but I always felt that Olivier was a unique talent and never really got enough recognition. He's probably my favorite individual ice dancer on this list ahead of even Grishuk, Platov, and Krylova.
    I'm with you there.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast