• Delobel & Schoenfelder

100 37.45%
  • Virtue & Moir

25 9.36%
  • Davis & White

55 20.60%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Yes it is ice dancing but its also a sport. Athleticism counts for a lot in my book.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    So surprised to see so many votes on Delobel and Schoenfelder. Sure, their last run in the competitions were rather disappointing and they could have been placed higher in Vancouver had they not been forced to stop due to Delobel's pregnancy. But their pure technique was none I've seen of ice dancers and they are so so unique!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Yes it is ice dancing but its also a sport. Athleticism counts for a lot in my book.
    Of course, but others on the list have athleticism and pure technique.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Before you vote for Delobel and Schoenfelder, I would ask you to watch this little montage I threw together of some of their four earliest programs. (sorry about the sound level differences)
    What is the first program? it looks interesting.

If they were North American, that move would have it's own nick name and Tumblr page dedicated to gifs of them performing it.
    Very true (not that I don't lurve the V&M tumblrs).

Davis and White, who are probably going to cream them in the voting, did essentially the same FD choreography to different music for the first 4 years of their senior career. They had *one* unique and original move in all those years, and it was that sweeping dip move at the opening of Samson and Delilah. Their tango FD was their first truly fully choreographed program of their senior career, and that was all Shpiland. They had one great OD/SD in 2010 and the rest have ranged from passable (last year's SD) to "Seriously?" (This year's SD) in terms of capturing the rythym and choreographic of the required theme. Also, compare their Rumba compulsory this year to Delobel and Schoenfelder's and you'll see (hopefully) that there is no comparison.
    You succeeded in getting my vote for D&W (I voted Delschoes last round). I think N&K should go after those two.

I'm still sad about L&A getting voted out early, so I understand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    What is the first program? it looks interesting.
    (
    Here's the full FD. It's from the 99/2000 season.

You succeeded in getting my vote for D&W (I voted Delschoes last round).
    Yay! Keep voting people! Just not for DelSchoes!

vCash
    Here's the full FD. It's from the 99/2000 season.
    OMG, that was wonderful.
    Ice dance couples, who are having hard time finding right programs, a la Shibs, should really look at this clip IMO.

BTW, what the heck with TAT sitting in the kiss-and-cry? I had no idea that she has coached Delchoes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    OMG, that was wonderful.
    Ice dance couples, who are having hard time finding right programs, a la Shibs, should really look at this clip IMO.

BTW, what the heck with TAT sitting in the kiss-and-cry? I had no idea that she has coached Delchoes.
    From 99-2002 I believe.

I've heard it was a very difficult time for D&S from people in the know, but never heard much details other than Tat/Morozov were not a positive influence on Delobel and post 2002 they were trying to get Olivier to skate with Shae-Lynn Bourne. But again this is all bits and pieces of info and hearsay. I think MarieM knows more about it.

If anyone cares here are the other FDs from 99-2003 that I put in the clip.

Vivre Pour Le Meilleur -2001
    Songs from the Victorious City -2002
    Mythdoea - 2003

For the 2002 Olympics, they actually dropped the Victorious City FD and brought back Vivre Pour Le Meileur becuase it felt more Olympic in nature, and were actually skating it brilliantly until a difficult lift were Isabel jumps and rotates into Olivier's arms, where he accidentally hit her blade with his hand and down they went. He actually skated the rest of the program with a gash in his hand.

vCash
    This is fantastic, as well.

vCash
    I voted for Delobel/Schoenfelder and I honestly can't believe how some people still believe that N/K were so undeserving champions.It's like revisiting 2004 FSU all over again and I really don't want to jump into the bandwagon..I will defend these two until the end...

Now, on why I voted for Delobel/Schoenfelder...I felt nothing when they skated.Absolutely nothing.I haven't voted for them up to now because I respect their technical proficiency in some aspects but for me they were trying so hard to be different,innovative that most of the times they didn't even let their qualities shine.And in my opinion always,they were completely mismatched.I have heard people finding them boring as well,and honestly they've been my bathroom break more than once.

But we all know,that in the end it will be G/P,K/O,A/P and probably V/M. So I guess that we shouldn't compare pre COP ice dancing with what we have now cause the latter will always lose.

vCash
    I loved Delobel/Schoenfelder's early work. Their 2000-2002 FDs and 2002 OD were all kickass. If they skated Songs from the Victorious City cleanly, they could have challenged Denkova/Staviski and Winkler/Lohse at the Olympics during the FD, as their marks weren't far off C/S's at Skate Canada that year.

The problem with D/S is that during the years they were medal contenders (2005-2008), they usually didn't pull off a good three rounds of dances (CD, OD, FD) to get the top spot. They had the best FD in 2005, hands-down. Frida was the most difficult technical program, and it was sophisticated and moving. But their CD and OD, while not bad, were not top 3 material. They definitely should have medaled in 2005, though not the gold. I didn't care for Carnival in 2006 at all - the costumes at Torino absolutely did not work. I think they should have medaled in 2007 as well.

As for 2008, they were lucky that year that B/A fell in the CD and DomShabs weren't competing. I wasn't a fan of either of their programs that year, and IMO B/A had the best programs that year.

I acknowledge Delobel/Schoenfelder's influence in their early material, which was always great to watch. They also had some of the best, most influential FDs of the decade, especially Frida. But in general, they were not good enough for the No. 1 spot. I hate to vote them out first, but I think it's accurate. It was between D/S and D/W.

vCash
    Can't vote for DelSchoes yet. They just had so many great and memorable programmes that I love to rewatch. Their 08/09 Pink Floyd deserves mention -it's a shame they couldn't get their second Worlds title with that. D/W -despite their technical prowess- have provided nothing that comes close to that.

vCash
    I can't believe all the DelSchoes votes. The lack of chemistry/boring criticism is an evil lie perpetuated by Susie Wynn.

It's such as shame they missed out on 2009 Worlds. They were at the top of their game that season, and would have easily won with these programs.

Boogie Woogie OD
    They really showed their fun side with this dance. I love how Olivier had the highlights in this program.

The Great Gig in the Sky FD
    This one could have been a masterpiece by the time it got to Worlds. I love those low lifts.

And their CDs from that season were awesome:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkEFvfP0MwY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWRRy9avj0c

vCash
    ^^ I think their programs were always full of their personalities and this is the one thing I've felt from no other dance teams. They've got edgy and charismatic presence on ice and I too get frowny face whenever someone claims they lacked "chemistry" or they were "boring" to watch.

vCash
    If DelSchoes had not been injured prior to the 2009 Worlds they would have won for sure and taken their career to a new level. However that is a hypothetical what if, just like what would have happened had DomShabs not been injured and had to miss the 2008 Worlds.

vCash
    ^^ Was it injury that pulled them out of contention in 2009? I thought it was Isabelle's pregnancy.

vCash
    No she injured her shoulder in a lift in the exhibition at the GP final (which they won easily over the eventual World Champion DomShabs). That caused them to miss Worlds. She then got pregnant after Worlds.

vCash
    Thanks for clarifying, judgejudy. What an unfortunate timing for their career not that I'm diminishing the blessing of a child.

vCash
    I know I'm fighting a losing battle, but I said I was going to do this and here it is.

Entire Post (
    post casken and thank you.

Like you, I realize that different people are going to have different opinions but I've been in lurk mode following the icedance survivor threads and was surprised at how poorly regarded DelShoes are. IMO the only thing about Isabelle and Olivier that could be a factor that might count against them was their lack of chemistry with one another. However the rest of what they did was so good that for me it cancelled out the fact that DelShoes didn't have that passionate, romantic or just plain great friends loving skating together vibe that many of the other teams had. Or at the very least those many other great things minimized their sometimes not being tuned in to one another.

Anyway, back to lurk mode.

vCash
    Never thought Del-Sh will be out before N-K, because they alwayse looked like FSU "darlings" and people thought they were undermarked few times (did you remeber audience reaction on N-K gold at ECh before OG?).
    Now interesting - who will be next? I thought this will be V-M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Never thought Del-Sh will be out before N-K, because they alwayse looked like FSU "darlings" and people thought they were undermarked few times (did you remeber audience reaction on N-K gold at ECh before OG?).
    Now interesting - who will be next? I thought this will be V-M.
    Navka Kostomarov did much better at the Olympics, and were the rightful winners, though I would have had Delschoes 1st and Denstas 2nd in the FD.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast