Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

When is a celebrity entitled to be left alone?

Cate Blanchett is around Melbourne at the moment and actually took her kids skating. People were asking for photos which she was refusing because of her kids. She wasn't rude but really just saying no.

However people seem to think that she should be accommodating because she is a "star".

I have no problem with her drawing the line. She is on holidays and I think entitled to have a normal life for that time.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    How rude can people be! Chances are they aren't even her fans particularly, they just want to put the photo up on Facebook and say "Look at this!" A true fan would respect the star's privacy.

I think celebrities should do a certain amount of activities to meet fans and be accommodating because their true fans do support them and deserve some opportunities to meet or see their celebrity crushes. That's a part of being a celebrity.

However, not on an anytime basis! When a celebrity is on a vacation with their children for heaven's sake-leave them alone! I'll bet most celebrities are not anywhere near as attractive or interesting as their press machines make them out to be anyway. Leave them to your fantasy image of them. Reality can be depressing.

vCash
    I think anytime they are not officially 'being a celebrity' at a conference or event set up specifically for that purpose, they should be totally left alone. No paps, no fans bugging them, etc. Our culture is far too celebrity-obsessed. It's ridiculous.

vCash
    I think certain careers basically come with fame and celebrity, whether one wants them or not - in some fields, if you are successful, you will be well known, and your life subject to a degree of scrutiny that many would be uncomfortable with. And while people go into such careers knowing that this is a possibility, it doesn't mean being famous was their goal, or that they should be compelled to be on display, perform or be a celebrity 24/7. Outside of more official engagements, it should be up to them how much interaction they want to have with fans and the general public.

The children of famous people certainly did not set out to be in the public eye, so unless they choose otherwise, they should be left alone.

Or in other words - more power to Cate Blanchett for making her private time with her kids just that.

vCash
    When they ask to be left alone.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    ^^This.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I think anytime they are not officially 'being a celebrity' at a conference or event set up specifically for that purpose, they should be totally left alone. No paps, no fans bugging them, etc. Our culture is far too celebrity-obsessed. It's ridiculous.
    This should be the case.
    However, people/press are rarely that respectful.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    All celebrities deserve their privacy.

Unless they have ever heard the word "Scientololgy" in their lifetimes. Then all bets are off.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    When they ask to be left alone.
    In theory, yes. But you can't turn public attention on and off when it suits you to do so. I'm not saying this is the way things should be in an ideal world, but if you spend most of your professional life posing in front of cameras at events you have no professional reason to be at, and if you use the publicity machine to spew out irrelevant news about yourself (e.g. where you shop, who you went to a club with) - then you shouldn't be surprised if people won't leave you alone when you want to be.

Having said that, Cate Blanchett is definitely not one of the stars who is a publicity ho, and if she is asking people nicely to leave her alone, they should respect that.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Unless they have ever heard the word "Scientololgy" in their lifetimes. Then all bets are off.
    Now, now Peter. Play nice.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I figure the line should be defined by how the celebrity was able to get to the place where the fans are. If, like I assume Cate B, is on a private vacation and is out with her kids like any other private person, then she should be left alone. If it was celebrity power that allowed access, ie, jumping the two hour line up at Disneyland or going to a movie premier, something that a non celebrity wouldn't get, then the celebrity should expect to do a bit of work for the privilege. It drives me nuts when celebrities get angry at being photographed at movie premiers. If you don't want to deal with fans, go to the afternoon matinee on a weekday. That said, there is asking for autographs and photos and there is being mauled by sea of photographers. The former should be expected and accommodated, the later is unacceptable. Just MOH, of course.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    When they're not out doing press and publicity, they should be left alone. I wouldn't dare go up to a celebrity if they were out doing something that everyone else does. They're people too, and deserve to be treated like a normal person.

My friend who worked at Disneyland did say that they have behind-the-scenes secret paths throughout the park to take uber-famous celebrities through (like Oprah), for their own and everyone else's safety. That's kind of sad, but if the accommodations are there, might as well make everyone's lives easier.

I know that many people are fascinated by what celebrities are like (or look like) in regular life, but frankly, all the "magic" is in the PR and the styling. You or I or anyone else would look a million bucks if you had a team of 10 people do you up. Cate Blanchett's acting magic is not gonna come off on you like fairy dust if you take a picture with her.

vCash
    Asking for an autograph or a photograph from a celeb in a non-work environment is hardly the rudest thing a person has ever done. The celeb has a right to decline, but I don't have a problem if the "fan" ends up thinking she sucks.

vCash
    Yeah they were being rude. They should respect her wishes.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Was Ms. Blanchette wearing a sign that said "I WILL NOT SIGN AUTOGRAPHS!!! I HAVE BABIES!!!"? Until the person comes up and asks, they don't know what her wishes would be.

vCash
    All celebrities deserve their privacy.

I would leave any star alone to respect their privacy including John Travolta ( who I have liked since the 70s) and Tom Cruise.

Carol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CDANN1013 View Post
    I would leave any star alone to respect their privacy including John Travolta ( who I have liked since the 70s) and Tom Cruise.

Carol
    I know we gossip about them, but, that is just here. I don't even talk about them in my real life.
    If they are not "On Stage" as it were, they are intitled to complete privacy IMO.
    I hope Alex Baldwin smacks a few more of those vultures.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I winked at Alexei Yagudin once when I was leaving the elevator. I'm pretty sure that's the most intrusive I've ever been.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Growing up in Western CT, there were a lot of celebs in the area; Arthur Miller, Bette Davis, Victor Borge, Marilyn monroe, etc. And we treated them all as regular people, that's why they liked the area.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast