Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

2012 Canadian National Exhibition Ice Show: Virtue/Moir (8/17-31) & Stojko (9/1-3)

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir and Elvis Stojko are scheduled to perform in this summer's Aerial Acrobatics & Ice Skating Show at CNE - venue is the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto: https://www.theex.com/attractions-sh...-skating-show/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I haven't been to the EX in decades and so I have questions that I hope someone can answer.
    One purchases an entrance ticket to the EX and then has to pay to do "other things", yes?
    How much would it be to go see Tessa & Scott? I've tried looking around on the site but can't seem to find that info.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Professordeb,
    It looks like the acrobatic cum skating show at the Ricoh is free. I saw an ad that said free with admission and it was included.

I too havent been for years but definitely intend on going for it.

vCash
    Since my birthday is late August, I am thinking this would be a great present.
    Crazy about sports!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    If anyone attends one of these shows, I'm sure there are some FSU folks who would love to hear/read your impressions/details/highlights!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I will be going but not until the 25th

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.

vCash
    its free with admission ticket to CNE

vCash
    I went and saw the show yesterday, with Elvis in place of Virtue/Moir. It amazes me that he still has face recognition, even 10 years later. We talked to a couple afterwards who were sitting beside us in the Food building, and they had also seen the show. We asked them if they knew who the star skater was and they certainly did. Knew his face, knew his name, knew what he'd done. We asked if they knew who Virtue/Moir were, and they said some skating couple? No idea. Crazy.

The place was almost full for the afternoon show, and in the later show they had to close the entrances as it was at capacity 15 minutes early. As soon as Elvis steps on the ice, there is a roar. He skated in the opening number briefly, then later did a number to My Sharona, and again made an appearance in the closing number. The acrobatics were really entertaining as well, but the show stopper was the trampoline act towards the end. Seriously, go and see this today if you get the chance. It's a great little show, and you won't believe what these trampoline artists can do. There are performances at 2 and 5 pm but get there early!

vCash
    Once again it shows that Canadian skaters do not get national publicity mainly due to poor marketing and TV coverage. It is very bad when the reigning Olympic, world, and national champions are not known to Canadians

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    Once again it shows that Canadian skaters do not get national publicity mainly due to poor marketing and TV coverage. It is very bad when the reigning Olympic, world, and national champions are not known to Canadians
    Virtue/Moir are a lot better "known to Canadians" than many Canadian ice dancing champions of the past - mostly because of the Olympics. The fact that one couple at the CNE didn't recognize them doesn't mean that every single Canadian would not recognize them.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I'm sure it doesn't, but the fact is that the skaters of yesteryear are much more known to Canadians than the skaters of today. And that's sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    I'm sure it doesn't, but the fact is that the skaters of yesteryear are much more known to Canadians than the skaters of today. And that's sad.
    Bourne & Kratz still have more name recognition in my circles than Virtue & Moir. Every time I run into this, I hope it's not true and it's just me.

I'm never surprised that more people know Elvis than our current crop, however. He was a (Canadian) star at the most opportune time.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Bourne & Kratz still have more name recognition in my circles than Virtue & Moir. Every time I run into this, I hope it's not true and it's just me.
    My impression is that Virtue & Moir want this to be true.