Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I LOVE that there used to be an obstacle course in the swimming event. Basically they filled the harbor with all sorts of boats and crud and whoever could climb over/around them the fastest won.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I LOVE that there used to be an obstacle course in the swimming event. Basically they filled the harbor with all sorts of boats and crud and whoever could climb over/around them the fastest won.
    Sounds dangerous but extremely exciting

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Baseball and softball are outdated?
    Not enough geographical representation. And they are both boring as hell.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Not enough geographical representation. And they are both boring as hell.
    I recognize geographical representation as a reason to remove them from the games (how is table tennis still in the games?). But they are not outdated, which is what I was questioning.

I agree with boring, but I think so are a lot of other sports still in the games .

However, I cannot imagine men's rhythmic gymnastics is a very wide spread sport, if we are talking about geographic representation.

vCash
    I recognize geographical representation as a reason to remove them from the games (how is table tennis still in the games?.
    You should probably have a look how many countries are being represented in table tennis.

vCash
    I just want to say that I really, REALLY don't like Andrea Joyce.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    There's an attempt to allow men into synchro swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. The men's rhythmic gymn. sounds really interesting.
    If you can find yesterday's episode of Bachelor Pad online, the men had to do a rhythmic gymnastics routine with ribbons and hoops (so did the women; the two groups competed against each other) and it was absolutely . After that, I don't know if I could take it seriously as an actual Oly sport.

vCash
    The Lochte swimming to London commercial is getting on my last nerve. I keep wanting a great white shark to get him.

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    I recognize geographical representation as a reason to remove them from the games (how is table tennis still in the games?). But they are not outdated, which is what I was questioning.

I agree with boring, but I think so are a lot of other sports still in the games .

However, I cannot imagine men's rhythmic gymnastics is a very wide spread sport, if we are talking about geographic representation.
    I'm surprised baseball and softball have been removed,yet not women's hockey in the winter games. IMHO that's a two country monopoly that needs to be dumped stat!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    The Lochte swimming to London commercial is getting on my last nerve. I keep wanting a great white shark to get him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    That would make a great movie for the SyFy channel. Lochte vs. Octoshark: The Final Heat

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I saw this on yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/olymp...zI0Ng--;_ylv=3

A South Korean women's fencer crying because something happened with a clock and she lost. I found an article that says that the dispute was ruled against her even though the clock was indeed wrong. How can this be? Does anyone have the details? Sounds bad.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Badminton players charged over 'thrown' matches

Wow. I thought they would be allowed to use this strategy...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I'm surprised baseball and softball have been removed,yet not women's hockey in the winter games. IMHO that's a two country monopoly that needs to be dumped stat!
    Baseball and softball were removed because Major League Baseball would not commit to release professional baseball players to play in the Olympics. That really was the politics behind it. There are enough competitive nations in baseball to keep it in the Olympics -- USA, Cuba, Japan, South Korea, Canada, Chinese Taipei, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

Softball was a casualty of the decision to boot baseball. At the vote where baseball and softball were eliminated, there was a lot of anti-American sentiment. Some critics of the vote also claimed that the people pushing to eliminate the sports said that softball was just baseball for women as if that meant something. It's a shame, because 2008 in Beijing proved that other countries were improving on the US, with Japan winning gold.

vCash
    London 2012 volunteer enjoying her job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmoRy444MY

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Olympian breaks medal

Just goes to show that some medals are worth more than others.

The bronze medals, made mostly of copper, are only worth £3, while silver is worth £210 and gold £410.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Gender equality says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I saw this on yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/olymp...zI0Ng--;_ylv=3

A South Korean women's fencer crying because something happened with a clock and she lost. I found an article that says that the dispute was ruled against her even though the clock was indeed wrong. How can this be? Does anyone have the details? Sounds bad.
    It's been discussed at length.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Gender equality says hello.
    One could take out men's football to even things out. Nobody would notice anyway.

vCash
    I was wondering what is the status of Kosovar athletes.

Thank god Al-Jazeera English exists and here is a story on this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrdS9Oues8

vCash
    I"m Canadian and I agree about the women's ice hockey. Very rarely does anyone but States and Canada win the gold and it hasn't changed after all this time.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast