Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 371
  1. #181

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28303
    A Daily Show tweet: Sailing teams lodge protest over Greece releasing the Kracken. #Olympics#FakeSpoiler

  2. #182

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    900
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1589
    Just read that Kristin Armstrong won the women's cycling time trial today. So happy for the 2-time gold medalist from Boise, my town. Woo hoo!

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Japan's Woman's Soccer team coach admitted to playing for a tie so they wouldn't have to fly to Scotland in the next round.
    It's not a huge deal in soccer, is it? I mean, it's not uncommon for a coach to have subs play the last match and rest up the main players, which is more or less a form of tanking (just like this situation with the tie here). And I have no problem with that.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28303
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky_177 View Post
    It's not a huge deal in soccer, is it? I mean, it's not uncommon for a coach to have subs play the last match and rest up the main players, which is more or less a form of tanking (just like this situation with the tie here). And I have no problem with that.
    I think resting players is smart, but actually telling your players not to score/win/do your best, IMO crosses the line.

  5. #185
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,709
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    16217
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    This may seem an odd question, but are the swimming pools heated?

    Just curious - I can't imagine that the shock of cold water would be welcome to any swimmer/diver, but perhaps they are used to it and it is physiologically more beneficial than heated water?
    Rules for competitive swimming pool temps: For swimming in both standard competition and the Olympics, FINA mandates a water temperature of between 25 to 28 degrees C, or between 77 and 82 degrees F. For water polo in both standard competition and the Olympics, FINA mandates 26 degrees C, or 79 degrees F, plus or minus one degree. For synchronized swimming in both standard competition and the Olympics, the FINA regulation temperature is 27 degrees C, or 81 degrees F, plus or minus one degree. Finally, for diving in both standard competition and the Olympics, the FINA regulation temperature is not less than 26 degrees C, or 79 degrees F.

    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...#ixzz22LA48n2v

    The pool at my school is kept at competition temperature at all times because we have swimming and diving teams, much to the dismay of just about everyone else, who find it a little chilly.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    I think resting players is smart, but actually telling your players not to score/win/do your best, IMO crosses the line.
    I definitely see what you're saying, but for me, having your subs play when your best players are healthy and able to play ensures that your team won't perform its best, and even if mild, is still tanking in my book. That said, I do think there is a difference between tanking in order to keep your strength for the next match (what the Japanese did) and tanking in order to face a particular opponent in next round (or to avoid facing a particular opponent in next round), aka what all the disqualified badminton pairs did. I do think the latter is more blameworthy than the former.

    This kind of strategic withholding will always exist in sports with a pool system. At least in soccer they have teams from different pools play their matches at the same time, to avoid people trying to guess who their eventual opponents might be and determine their gameplan accordingly.
    Last edited by tchaikovsky_177; 08-02-2012 at 12:55 AM.

  7. #187

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28303
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky_177 View Post
    That said, I do think there is a difference between tanking in order to keep your strength for the next match (what the Japanese did) and tanking in order to face a particular opponent in next round (or to avoid facing a particular opponent in next round), aka what all the disqualified badminton pairs did. I do think the latter is more blameworthy than the former.
    I heard it reported on ESPN that Japan was trying to avoid playing the Americans and the French up in Glasgow.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    I heard it reported on ESPN that Japan was trying to avoid playing the Americans and the French up in Glasgow.
    That is interesting... Had the Japanese beaten the South Africans they would have played France in the QF instead of Brazil (if I understand the system correctly.... the Swedes, winner of Japan's group are currently set to play France in the QF, so I guess Japan would have taken its spot instead.) Are they really that afraid of France? Hmmm. It would be mighty hard to prove

  9. #189
    Go Denmark!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky_177 View Post
    That is interesting... Had the Japanese beaten the South Africans they would have played France in the QF instead of Brazil (if I understand the system correctly.... the Swedes, winner of Japan's group are currently set to play France in the QF, so I guess Japan would have taken its spot instead.) Are they really that afraid of France? Hmmm. It would be mighty hard to prove
    I heard it wasn't so much which team, but which venue - they didn't want to travel to Glasgow.

  10. #190
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Partying with the Skate Gods
    Posts
    39,968
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    17334
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky_177 View Post
    That is interesting... Had the Japanese beaten the South Africans they would have played France in the QF instead of Brazil (if I understand the system correctly.... the Swedes, winner of Japan's group are currently set to play France in the QF, so I guess Japan would have taken its spot instead.) Are they really that afraid of France? Hmmm. It would be mighty hard to prove
    They didn't want to travel to a new field. They essentially have a home field advantage in Wales. It was the coach's decision. It wasn't the team, but the travel and field that made her do this. Or so she said.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I heard it wasn't so much which team, but which venue - they didn't want to travel to Glasgow.

    Bottom line for me is, if they tanked just to save themselves the pain of travelling, I really have very few problems with it.

    if they tanked to avoid facing US/France and have an "easier" opponent in Brazil, it would bother me much more. But we'll never know. And as far as ESPN is concerned (which Skipaway brought up), it probably isn't the most unbiased source
    Last edited by tchaikovsky_177; 08-02-2012 at 01:40 AM.

  12. #192
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,629
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16667
    The flower bouquets for the medal ceremonies looked great with the gymnasts, but they seem sort of small for the swimmers.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  13. #193

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,858
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3094
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Gender equality says hello.
    Gender Equality has nothing to do with it. The IOC was really sold the Brooklyn Bridge when they agreed to Women's Ice Hockey. There have really only ever been two competitive nations: the US and Canada. Most other countries don't have regular women's hockey leagues have very few professional female players, and it really is not a promoted sport. At the Vancouver Olympics we saw games with Canada and the US that ended in scores such as 28-1 , 19-1, etc. The closest country to give either one a run for their money was Canada vs. Switzerland, which was 10-1 , apparently the Canadians were told to hold back a little bit.

    Baseball and Softball OTOH actually had a much bigger geographic spread. Baseball for example , is very popular in Japan, South Korea, The Dominican Republic, Canada, etc. Some of our more prominent recent major league players in the US have come from Japan and DR. Japan was the OGM in Beijing IIRC.
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 08-02-2012 at 05:13 AM.

  14. #194
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,882
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12373
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i didnt realize that badminton was in the olympics, i thought it was something from the onion
    Really? Badminton is quite widely played here too. Just because something isn't popular in the US doesn't mean it isn't popular elsewhere and vice versa.

    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    japan won the gold in softball in 08
    Which was a bit of an upset as far as I recall. Doesn't change the fact that neither baseball nor softball are as geographically diverse as either badminton or table tennis to name just two sports.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  15. #195
    Go Denmark!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post



    Which was a bit of an upset as far as I recall. Doesn't change the fact that neither baseball nor softball are as geographically diverse as either badminton or table tennis to name just two sports.
    I might argue that cricket is more geographically diverse than baseball/softball.... Not that I understand either of the sports

  16. #196
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,879
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Really? Badminton is quite widely played here too. Just because something isn't popular in the US doesn't mean it isn't popular elsewhere and vice versa.
    It's not popular in the US? There's at least 35 different Badminton clubs just in NY state alone! Not to mention that pretty much every family has a lawn set of their own just for fun. Jeez, what does a girl have to do to be labeled "popular" around here.

  17. #197
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    The flower bouquets for the medal ceremonies looked great with the gymnasts, but they seem sort of small for the swimmers.
    Is it because the swimmers are so big?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  18. #198
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,882
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12373
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    It's not popular in the US? There's at least 35 different Badminton clubs just in NY state alone! Not to mention that pretty much every family has a lawn set of their own just for fun. Jeez, what does a girl have to do to be labeled "popular" around here.
    Great. That bolsters the argument that badminton is a more geographically diverse sport!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  19. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Gender Equality has nothing to do with it.
    It has everything to do with it. You just can't deny the opposite sex participation in an Olympic sport. That is fundamentally wrong.

  20. #200
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Michal Brezina's pants
    Posts
    272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It has everything to do with it. You just can't deny the opposite sex participation in an Olympic sport. That is fundamentally wrong.
    It's still happening, as far as I know.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •