Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    I've heard that Seattle (US) and Vancouver (Canada) might do a joint bid for a future Olympics. Has anyone else heard of this? I love the cross-border idea.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I've heard that Seattle (US) and Vancouver (Canada) might do a joint bid for a future Olympics. Has anyone else heard of this? I love the cross-border idea.
    Cool idea. When I lived in Ohio, Dayton and Cincinnati teamed up for a joint Olympic bid. I can't remember which city beat us in the U.S. bidding process.

vCash
    I'm highly amused that Las Vegas submitted a bid for 2020 without backing from the USOC.

vCash
    Remember Beijing? Remember how well everything worked and how untroubled things seemed to be.

In London there are lots of protests going on. https://www.google.com/search?q=London+olympic+protests&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

I must say I like it. Life in our societies are messy. Sometimes it's annoying but it's real.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I love both Olympics, but I enjoy almost all the winter sports, and recognise more of the athletes, so if I could only pick one it'd be the winter one.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post

Although I first read that as NADIA hanging with the Kween.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I've heard this for awhile but I can't see this ever happening. In Canada, Toronto *really* wants a Summer games. In the US, multiple cities want a Summer games.

Seattle should just get a Winter games. Then cities like Bellingham and Vancouver can host Skate America and US Nats, and I can attend them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Same for me, but only because I enjoy more sports. Other than figure skating, none of the winter sports interest me. Whereas with the summer Olympics, I love to watch gymnastics, and will tune into swimming, track and field and diving.
    I far prefer the Winter Olympics because I enjoy most of the sports and find them more exciting than the summer sports.

I do enjoy the gymnastics, equestrian, and archery. It appears that CTV doesn't have any equestrian, though? How about NBC?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    Can anyone tell me the answer to this question please? When the athletes events are over say for eg a football team that is out now do they go home or stay in the village till the closing ceremony ?

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I don't know for sure, but I think they can stay. This is only based on my experiences at the Atlanta Olympics. My brother was a security guard in the Olympic Village, and he talked about how athletes who had come to the end of their participation were having a blast in the disco/nightclub where he was posted. I believe he rather enjoyed watching a lot of the athletes letting their hair down after the pressure was off for them. London could be different.

vCash
    the Canadian broadcasters are showing equestrian on OLN right now, so it is available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Can anyone tell me the answer to this question please? When the athletes events are over say for eg a football team that is out now do they go home or stay in the village till the closing ceremony ?
    I believe they are free to choose, unless they are kicked out for like trashing their room or some other unsportmanlike behavior. I think most stay to party but I'm sure it depends on age, family situation, distance of travel etc...

vCash
    There's an attempt to allow men into synchro swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. The men's rhythmic gymn. sounds really interesting.

I can't tell if they're talking men's synchro teams, rather than co-ed in the case of synchro. Co-ed seems more practical to me in terms of participation:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...4571--oly.html
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I'd let them in if there are enough who do those sports competitively. I think it'd be neat...I can picture men running around with ribbons and hoops already

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it seems weird to add sports when other sports are being dropped
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    They're not adding sports though. Just events within those sports.

Golf and rugby sevens will be added in 2016 to take the place of baseball and softball which aren't being contested this time round.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    Why? Seems perfectly logical to dump outdated sports and pick up newer ones. Or should they have not included Ice Dance and still be contesting fancy figures?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Why? Seems perfectly logical to dump outdated sports and pick up newer ones. Or should they have not included Ice Dance and still be contesting fancy figures?
    Baseball and softball are outdated?

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast