Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash

Miscellaneous Olympic Chatter

I didn't think we needed a whole thread for an article about the Olympic Village and what the rooms are like, but I didn't see a good thread to post the article in.

So I hope there is some other non-competition Olympic stuff that was looking for a home.

Anyway, the rooms sound a lot like most Olympic Villages, functional but kind of spartan.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    It really struck me how small that bed was. How do 6 feet+ athletes fit in those things?
    Are they at least extra long twins like colleges use?

What athletes skip out on the village? I would imagine all the NBA super stars stay in ritzy hotels- but what about big names like Phelps? Does he slum in a twin bed with a roommate? I don't think I'd want to miss out on village life if I were ever an Olympian, but that also looks pretty awful and not really conducive to best conditions for being prepared.

Only some have en-suite bathrooms
    Seriously? That is fine for a college student looking for the cheapest dorm. But making Olympic athletes leave their rooms and walk down the hall to a community restroom to pee in the middle of the night... that just seems wrong. And how do they decide who do get private bathrooms?

vCash
    I don't understand the flimsy construction (thin walls, lack of bathrooms & kitchens) when it is intended to serve as housing after the games. What kind of housing will that be?

vCash
    It sounds like it is reconstructed after the Games (kitchens added, for one). Maybe the thin walls are the ones intended to be knocked out?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Lots of Olympic newsletters you can sign up for, including one that provides info about watching the "ticketless" events like cycling and marathon

vCash
    Outrage over Official USA Portraits

Here are more on USA Portraits

While the photos were taken in May, they've only recently gained a notorious reputation thanks to a thread on reddit's photography page. Here's a typical comment on reddit's photography page:

"wow... he's trying something new for press shots, concealing some details in shadows... using FOV and perspective to distort subjects in a not-so appealing way... Oh wait, these haven't been processed... Wow they're getting worse... Ok this wasn't on purpose...these are terrible..."
    Check out the Rebecca Bross photo

vCash
    I wonder if the residents of the Olympic Village get to keep their comforters with all the sports logos on them.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Outrage over Official USA Portraits

Here are more on USA Portraits

Check out the Rebecca Bross photo

Official Team USA portraits of people who are not officially on the team. Hmm.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    They were taken in May. I assume they took photos of likely olympians.

vCash
    Wash the bad taste of those awful photos out of your mouth with these really cool photos of body types of Olympians (current and former): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...8030823&page=1

Tranquillo
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Those are some pretty awful photos. I can't tell whether the athletes or the photographer was more bored. The woman with the shotput looks like she'd just as soon chuck it at the photographer. (Gabby's photo was quite a pleasant exception.)

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    To each their own, but I'll never get why Michael Phelps is considered hot.

vCash
    Uh where is the entire US men's gymnastics team on that list of hotties? You include Michael Phelps but leave off Jake Dalton? Please.

And those "official" team photos sucked. Nice ripped paper on the floor and Nastia looked terrified in hers. I think the photographer was wasted.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    vBets galore coming your way!
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/vbookie.php?

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    So let's see how London is doing - especially after all the bitching by the Brit media about Vancouver.... Now just to be clear - I love the Olympics - loved the Vancouver Olympics and Bejing.. and will certainly love my home country Olympics in London.. but what are the issues being bitched about
    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/12/462...s-day-for.html

Security issues - the security firm not having enough people so gov't stepping in to put the troops to work at the olympics as soon as they have got home from afghanistan.. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Athlete village issues - athletes complaining about the olympic village and the accommodations..

Don't think the people in the apt buildings in London are thrilled about the Armed Missiles on top of buildings in London

The ban on food outlets for all the people in the vicinity - expect for McDonalds..

Ticket issues - ticketmaster website problems for fans getting tickets

Transportation issues - subway system shut down twice due to excess people (this is before it even starts)

Weather issues - the Brit media bitched about the lack of snow in Canada.. now let's see how the rain impacts

Having said that.. I've booked my holidays to watch.. and can't wait
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The difference being the British media are bitching just as much about the problems in the run-up to their own games unlike the Canadian media who were writing gushing articles like empty-headed cheerleaders about Vancouver and getting all offended when someone had the temerity to criticise them.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The difference being the British media are bitching just as much about the problems in the run-up to their own games unlike the Canadian media who were writing gushing articles like empty-headed cheerleaders about Vancouver and getting all offended when someone had the temerity to criticise them.
    This...

British media have been super critical of everything, Govt, G4S, to unnecessary criticism of some of their athletes (plastic Brits comment of Daily Mail). Most of the information we are getting due to the british media constant complaining.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Uh where is the entire US men's gymnastics team on that list of hotties? You include Michael Phelps but leave off Jake Dalton? Please.
    That list is automatically null and void in my world if it doesn't have the US men's gymnastics team on it.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast