Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    The whole appeal process took over a year, so I don't think it helped Jo's performance at the Olympics, either. The initial appeal Miriam made was after the 2005 4CC which (for reasons that escape me) was used to determine next year's Turin spot. This article has a good summary of how things happened.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/...066861508.html
    Thanks for that.. I never understood why there was a court case, other than there was one. It does seem weird to decide who is going to the Olympics a year in advance... it would be easier to have Nationals as the decider, or an official skate off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
    There is no reason that skating could not develop events where people could compete longer. There could be events where people just do a short or just do a long or even bring back some figures! Not sure why there is no expansion of the discipline.
    The ISU Adult International Competition, held in Obertsdorf, Germany, in late spring every year, has an elite division. Midori Ito has competed the last two years.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    In skating the short and long program are, in essence, both part of the same event. The scores are combined to get the final score.

I can see why swimmers might want to accumulate multiple medals. In my book, one gold in skating is worth 50 golds in swimming.
    I'd say 3 to 5. The amount a person can reasonably win in a single games. (Although an extraordinary swimmer can earn even more, so maybe we have to say 1 figure skating gold = 8 swimming golds? However, most Olympics won't have one person win 8 gold medals, and ALL olympics will have a person getting 1 figure skating gold medal)

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    The ISU Adult International Competition, held in Obertsdorf, Germany, in late spring every year, has an elite division. Midori Ito has competed the last two years.
    Yes, but she is NOT competing at an elite level like standard eligible track competitions, so I don't think that goes with what the OP was asking, which was, like Dara Torres, could a skater in their 40s compete at the Olympics. She is a beautiful skater, but her Obsterdorf programs were nothing like what her skating used to be.

I think it MIGHT be possible, but it would be a HUGE toll on the body. I also think it would be more likely to be a man who started in his late teens, rather than a girl who likely peaked in her late teens. I also don't think it would be someone from USA/Japan etc, where the competition from younger skaters is stiff, but rather someone from a country with a small program where they are relatively unchallenged and just have to keep up a minimum standard to stay in the elite levels.

vCash
    I think it's cool that adult competitions are available, and that Midori competes in them. But let's face it, she was a whole lot more exciting when she was 19 years old and exploding with athleticism. Skating (esp. singles) is a young person's sport. It's great that older skaters continue to love competition, but it will never generate the level of interest that the more competitive and athletic youngsters do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    They have the Youth Olympics maybe they should have the Senior Olympics for advanced adult athletes ... but with a better name.
    I don't think they should have a senior olympics per se. The junior one is pointless enough without an old age equivalent. I do love the idea of senior IJS international competitions. Michelle Kwan could compete against Tara Lipinski. It would satisfy all the weirdos in the United States who have not yet moved on since 1998 and entertain the rest of us. I'd really LOVE to see Butyrskaya, Ito, Yamaguchi and every last one of them who can still do a sit spin competing under IJS.

vCash
    I would not say the same about spectators.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Could a figure skater in their 40s conceivably keep up with teen phenoms and 20-somethings in competitive olympic or world figure skating competitions?
    No, it's not possible, unless you're an ice dancer. That's the hard reality of figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
    There is no reason that skating could not develop events where people could compete longer. There could be events where people just do a short or just do a long or even bring back some figures! Not sure why there is no expansion of the discipline. We watch every conceivable distance and stroke of swimming at the Olympics, which is not exactly a thrill a minute.
    THIS

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I agree, but it will not happen because of money. In swimming, 8 people can compete at once and it's over in 2 minutes, whereas letting everybody do their program, or going out there to stare at a figure, takes a couple of hours.

They could easily do some shorter events like jump and spin but regardless, each skater would have to go one-at-a-time and that takes time ($money$).

The only reason the ISU promotes the team competition, instead of synchro, is because they can "recycle" the same athletes and not have to pay for a whole team of new ones to fly in, get room and board, and practice.

MONEY. That's the reason.

vCash
    This thread title... I wonder how old is the person who came up with the title/ question?

Why not ask The Protopopovs.

Some of us are just hitting our stride at age 40, or should be.

Yes it's true that athletes/ dancers physically start to wear out in their mid to late thirties, but mentally, emotionally and psychologically we're still babies in our thirties in terms of life experience and reaching the full capacity of what we can accomplish. Its also true that biologically, humans have only evolved to where we use just a small portion of our brains. So maybe as we evolve more spiritually and mentally, we might be able to figure out a way to extend our physical capacities, who knows?

As to the question, I would respond with these questions: Are skaters still alive in their 40s, their 50s, their 60s and beyond? Are they still breathing and getting out on the ice? Do they still gain enjoyment from physical exertion and from excelling at what they do? Look at the successful senior tours in tennis and golf. (It's a shame there aren't those kind of avenues for skaters who retire from the eligible ranks). Athletes and people in general I think have a hard time stopping doing something that has been the major focus of their lives, and that has given them so much in so many ways.

ETA:

Okay, previously I had just read the thread title and responded. Looking back over your initial post, I can see the slant you were taking, olympic. But still, re the essence of your question, yes I think anybody can do whatever they really will themselves to do. Many skaters continued skating and winning into their 30s and 40s I believe when figure skating competitions first began. Today, however, looking at the realities of the situation, of course it is harder to remain competitive in figure skating beyond 35 I would think, yet that doesn't mean it can't be done. There are skaters in their late twenties who are still competing successfully and many pairs skaters who compete into their early thirties. And of course The Protopopovs are unique and incredible.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post

I think that the wear-and-tear of modern skating will not allow someone to still be competitive in their 40s. Today's skating requires triples (for all) and quads (for men) and just practicing them puts a huge toll on skaters' bodies. It is no wonder Plushy is glued together many times over.

It used to be that pairs and dance were easier on the body (I said easi-er, not easy), but I think the contortions and variations erequired by CoP are atking their toll on them, as well. Note how many pair/dancers have been waylaid by injuries in the past few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    No, it's not possible, unless you're an ice dancer. That's the hard reality of figure skating.
    Speaking to some male ice dancers, many of them already have issues with backs, hips, knees, ankles in their 20s. They tell me it's about lifting a partner who is - in ice dance - often relatively tall, and the forces involved in those lifts and spins.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Skating is a judged sport, and we see skaters judged as "too old" on a regular basis. Can they still win at 40? Possibly. Will they still win? Probably not.
    I agree. The judges will throw you out eventually.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123