Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    There is no place for arrogance in professional sports.
    Says who? There are plenty of arrogance in sports, we are talking about young champions with multi-million dollar contracts and sponsorships.
    Personally, I don't mind straight-forward arrogance and diva-like behavior. It's entertaining.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I'm pretty sure PeterG's post was written tongue-in-cheek.

Opinion piece about Yu-na's announcement: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...64_114441.html

Wall Street Journal blog article: http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/07/0...-olympic-gold/

RIA Novosti Russian article in English: http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120702/174365317.html

Reuters article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8I24X420120702

Associated Press news blurb: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/skating...9714--spt.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-04-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    If you read an opinion you don't agree with, saying that is fine. Insulting the poster isn't necessarily the most effective counter-argument.
    You're absolutely right. I was unpardonably snarky. I don't know what got into me
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Says who? There are plenty of arrogance in sports, we are talking about young champions with multi-million dollar contracts and sponsorships.
    Personally, I don't mind straight-forward arrogance and diva-like behavior. It's entertaining.
    So many people don't get PeterG's humour
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Personally I feel that it would be worse if she pulled an arrogant big stunt. If that happens, I must say that I WILL GO OFF ON HER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    So many people don't get PeterG's humour
    my bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I can see someone thinking it "arrogant" that she go to worlds in 2011 without any competitions under her belt and the chance to get feed back under judges. I personally don't think it was conscious arrogance, but it certain imo was a big mistake.
    I wonder if this announcement is premature and was made to counter the recent bad publicity.
    Non-sense. This is her life-changing decision. The bad-publicity you mentioned has usually a few weeks lifetime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    That's not so recent.

I think the poster was referring to the recent kerfluffle about her university degree and how much actual time had been put into it. And that was very public in Korea.
    It wasn't a big issue because it is not only YuNa but hundreds of National Team level athletes in all kinds of sports have the same problem.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I love you peoples.

That is all.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Yuna's Heart by Dong A Ilbo

http://news.donga.com/3/all/20120703/47507302/1

As a scholar studying sports for a while, I'd witnessed there's less regret when sports stars selected what moved their heart instead of head at the moment they had to make an important decision in life. Therefore, I wondered whether it’s her own decision or not. By any chance, was this done by her mother? Wasn’t there a calculation to merchandize Yuna the longer? Was this why she wanted to be a member of IOC Athletes’ Commission? - I heard that before. In a word, I wanted to know the truth of her heart.

Just in hours after the press conference, I took the call from an acquaintance who has been well in with Yuna. Baldly I asked him whether the decision was from only Yuna by herself or not? He answered “It’s all from Yuna by herself.” According to him, Pressure to repeat the past success” and “The loss of the goal", Yuna said, were totally the truth of her heart. Couldn’t deny there’s temptation to retire but Watching young skaters training in poor surroundings with all their soul and might to retain in Figure Skating in Korea motivated Yuna. It was the prime mover of Yuna’s comeback. Listening what he told over the telephone, without nothing damaged I could feel the burden and responsibility Yuna might feel. And I felt sorry.

One might think it’s a simple extension of her skating career and the second attempt at the Olympics. But from the point of view of an individual life, it will be a process of creating “Whole New Yuna”. Another success to approve herself doesn’t mean anything to Yuna who won the Gold Medal in Vancouver, the summit of Mt. Everest of Figure Skating. If she fails to win at the next challenge, it would be incredibly disappointing. But she treaded the thorny path.
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 07-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    I love you peoples.

That is all.

So do I.
    This too will pass away.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Oh, a comeback that starts with a press conference . . . never a good sign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Ridiculous. Yuna for eligibility reasons etc. has to make clear her intention to compete again. Now if Yuna wasn't one of most famous and popular skaters on the planet, maybe she could have gotten away with just a statement. But in reality, all that would do is bring a STORM of world press people to her door and following her everywhere in order to get more info and face time. In her circumstances, a press conference was her ONLY choice to try and limit the intrusions into her life following this news.

vCash

Are you some kind of Idiot? Then What is your opinion? Tell me.

Don't be mean, or elusive. Just tell your high opinion.

vCash

Stop stabbing someone's back in the shade. Just tell your opinions. I don't think you are sharp or smart. always thought you are a stupid snob.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny158 View Post
    Stop stabbing someone's back in the shade. Just tell your opinions. I don't think you are sharp or smart. always thought you are a stupid snob.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny158 View Post
    Are you some kind of Idiot? Then What is your opinion? Tell me.

Don't be mean, or elusive. Just tell your high opinion.
    These insults are unwarranted and furthermore, rude and unnecessary on your part. Please desist.

vCash
    Oh boy. The press con was IN KOREA. So no big deal. It's not like it was televised all around the world.

And johnny158, please stop posting. You made us even look worst.

vCash
    Wat it the case with Ito circa 1996?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

2) I hope this is what she REALLY wants and she's not being pressured into this by her federation. There's a difference between enjoying skating in shows, and skating in competition.
    Im afraid this is the only reason she will comeback
    pressure from her fed, country and fans. in her article interviews she said she just wants to give her best but will set her aims lower. but ona good note
    so many comebacks Mini, Yuna . Ladies will be ineteresting again

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Wat it the case with Ito circa 1996?
    Umm, yeah!!!
    Last edited by bardtoob; 07-06-2012 at 03:52 PM.

vCash
    I for one am thrilled that Yu-Na is back. I love her skating. I think most of her sps are among my favourite skates ever and I have been watching since the 80's. All the girls are going to have up their game now. I have no problem believing she will be in shape for Sochi. Personally I would love for her to be a double gold medalist. I just hope she finds a good coach. She and Brian seemed a good fit but one never knows. I think David Wilson is terrific and have no fears about her programs. Go Yu-Na! Sound fan girlish enough? Or like someone who has a couple of ales? I blame on the Ontario heat wave.
    Last edited by Clytie; 07-06-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: David Wilson is not sports caster Brian Wilson

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast