Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's way too early to predict anything.

For the upcoming season, she should just concentrate on doing clean programs rather than thinking about color of medals. Take it easy on transitions and choreography, and make sure she has room to breadth between jumping sequences.

Except Olympic season of 2009/2010, she always had problems getting through long programs without running out of gas. If she can skate clean this season, she should be home dry. She will be abled to turn on the heat when she starts to prepare for 2014 Olympic season.
    I'm not so sure about a take-it-easy strategy. I think she needs to gain momentum this coming season, not wait until the 2014 season. She'll need at least a World medal to be considered a contender in Sochi in the eyes of the judges. Having a World medal or title goes a long way to securing an Olympic medal or even gold. Only way around that is pure luck--a la Sarah Hughes. I don't think Yuna wants to count mostly on luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleWallie View Post
    I'm not so sure about a take-it-easy strategy. I think she needs to gain momentum this coming season, not wait until the 2014 season. She'll need at least a World medal to be considered a contender in Sochi in the eyes of the judges. Having a World medal or title goes a long way to securing an Olympic medal or even gold. Only way around that is pure luck--a la Sarah Hughes. I don't think Yuna wants to count mostly on luck.
    Easier said than done, isn't it.

Do you know you are demanding a world title from someone who has been eating potato chips for last year and a half, and the competition is only half year ahead?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleWallie View Post
    Korea gets only one entry to Worlds next year, so it's all up to Yuna. She will medal, in all likelihood, as she's always done. It's only the color that's up in the air. If she wins at least silver, Korea gets three tickets to Sochi.
    That's true. I forgot that they only have one spot for 2013 worlds, so if she finishes in the top 2, they get 3 spots for the 2014 Olympics & Worlds. If she finishes in the top 10, they get 2. However, that solidifies my feeling that she feels an obligation to get these extra spots, either from within herself or from others, even if it's only a secondary reason. If she doesn't compete next year, then they'll most likely end up with zero or 1 spot for the 2014 Olympics, unless if someone else qualified via Nebelhorn.
    Last edited by a56; 07-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Maybe Nikolai Morozov has given her a call already and offered his service as a coach? ;-)

(This was a joke, and I have no indication whatsoever that he did that or that she is considering him as a coach. I know that many posters here have problems to realize what is a joke, irony or sarcasm).

More seriously, I think that Yuna Kim pretty much most of the time knew what she is doing. I don't believe that she was pressured into this. It came pretty well accross in that statement (thank you for the translation) that she is looking for a comeback to enjoy competing and probably enjoy the Olympic experience more than she did in 2010. Remember, when Katarina Witt came back in 1994? She was not a medal contender with her outdated jump content but she came back to enjoy the experience, something she couldn't really do when she was fighting for gold, competing for the GDR (East Germany) in 1984 and 1988.
    Yuna Kim is a very intellligent young lady and she always has been very realistic. She said in that press conference that she knows that she has to get back into shape and I'm sure if (when) she shows up she'll be competitive.
    I hope that she can prepare well and I'll be very happy to see her back competing. She'll probably pick one of the later senior B and then go to Nationals and 4CC and Worlds. Great news. :-)
    But there will be pressure on Kim that Witt didn't have in 1994. Like you said Witt wasn't a contender in 94 being away from competition for 6 years with her outdated outdated jump and being almost 30. Kim will only be 23 in Sochi and if she gets in shape will still be a contender so how much of the Olympics will she really be able to enjoy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    Oh yes. Yu-na for the win. I'd love it if she could defend that title. I have nothing against the Russians - but I have everything against the "let's have 50 girls work on 3-3s and most difficult jumps - most of them will never make it, but as long as one comes through in the right time period between eligibility and onset of puberty and wins that Gold, we just don't care." - mentality. I know it's the nature of the sport, I know that it happens in most countries, in the sports of gymnastics and skating - but I still don't like it. I was very happy that Asada and Kim were 19 by the time they skated their first Olympics - and I would really like them to face each other again in Sochi as "mature" ladies in their early twenties.
    But the Russian strategy is a competitive one and getting the technical content down is a huge part of being a medal contender. Yunah did have a 3-3 in her arsenal, , after all.

Personally I'm rooting for the Russian girls over Yunah . . In part that's because it is so darn tough for Russian single lady skaters to get any recognition, so they really have to be fighters. I always tend to root for the underdog. And in part it is because while I totally appreciate Yunah, I don't adore her skating. Plus, if she wins the 2014 Olympics because no one else has stepped up to the plate in the past four years, it won't be a very exciting competition.

My personal favourite is Mao, but I fear her best days have come and gone. . .Kostner at her best could give Kim some competition, but will Kostner retain her form from last season through to Sochi?

Not to mention, comebacks are more easily said than done. I won't believe that any of those promising to come back (Lysacek, Weir, Yunah) will actually achieve that until it happens. Emanuel Sandhu's comeback lasted 10 minutes - Sasha Cohen's, only through Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    That's true. I forgot that they only have one spot for 2013 worlds, so if she finishes in the top 2, they get 3 spots for the 2014 Olympics & Worlds. If she finishes in the top 10, they get 2. However, that solidifies my feeling that she feels an obligation to get these extra spots, either from within herself or from others, even if it's only a secondary reason. If she doesn't compete next year, then they'll most likely end up with zero or 1 spot for the 2014 Olympics, unless if someone else qualified via Nebelhorn.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post

What a great news!! I'm so excited!
    More translations from press conference.
    http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php...dpost&p=103870
    "Because training's so hard & I felt so pressured, life as an athlete was so tough for me. OTOH I felt a bit regretful. I felt like if I retire now because of pressure I may end up regretting it later."

"I didn't choose to go to Sochi just for the IOC member qualification. Of course, I must compete in Sochi in order to qualify, but as I said there was a bit of regret. I thought I may be able to compete calmly if I didn't set such high expectations."

"I felt very sorry for many of the younger skaters because they were training so hard. I was motivated to see them train even harder than me at that age. For them, I'll go to the Worlds and earn more spots. I want to create memories w/ them (going to competitions)."
    Last edited by t.mann; 07-03-2012 at 09:03 AM.

vCash
    Last edited by senorita; 07-03-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: double post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    Oh yes. Yu-na for the win. I'd love it if she could defend that title. I have nothing against the Russians - but I have everything against the "let's have 50 girls work on 3-3s and most difficult jumps - most of them will never make it, but as long as one comes through in the right time period between eligibility and onset of puberty and wins that Gold, we just don't care." - mentality.
    Yes but then Mao and Yuna started with the same mentality. Remember the jumps Mao used to do when she beated Sasha and Irina? And Liza and Adelina will be over 17 in the Sochi Olys, and will have competed in seniors 2 seasons plus the one they already did compete in Gp. Yuna was less than 17 when she competed in her first Worlds and won the bronze. And you know when Mao started her senior career. I dont see a difference between their path so far and the Russians or whoever starts now.

Do you know you are demanding a world title from someone who has been eating potato chips for last year and a half, and the competition is only half year ahead?
    Plushenko was eating pizza and chocolate a year before Vancouver, I think Yuna looks in much better shape than he did in 2008

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Originally Posted by RumbleFish
    Plushenko was eating pizza and chocolate a year before Vancouver, I think Yuna looks in much better shape than he did in 2008
    Agree. The situation of Plushenko was more mess. He had to lose 10 kilos in 2009. But Yuna looks great still now

vCash
    I think she is too psychologically fragile for this to materialize.

vCash
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's way too early to predict anything.

For the upcoming season, she should just concentrate on doing clean programs rather than thinking about color of medals. Take it easy on transitions and choreography, and make sure she has room to breadth between jumping sequences.

Except Olympic season of 2009/2010, she always had problems getting through long programs without running out of gas. If she can skate clean this season, she should be home dry. She will be abled to turn on the heat when she starts to prepare for 2014 Olympic season.
    This sport is slowly progressing towards a display of jump elements with a few spins and crossovers thrown in. Look at the monster score Alena Leonova got for her SP in Nice. That program was horse sh*t and yet she was rewarded the top score of the night. I'd hate to see Yu-Na lower herself to that standard of skating. She's the only skater of this IJS era to maximize the system on both ends, TES and PCS. If she took a Morosov approach to her skating it would break my heart. I hate it when skaters have to compromise their style and what makes them special just to earn a score. She can start off with a less demanding technical load and build her way up heading into Soichi, but I really hope she doesn't strip her skating down in terms of choreography, transitions and artistry.

If Yu-Na came out and did a program a la Alena Leonova (basically end to end jumping with zero in between) she'd quickly lose me as a fan. The choreography and transitions are what make her skating enjoyable so I really hope she doesn't go that route.

vCash
    Beautiful transitions and commitment, dedication to the choreography are what brought Yuna onto the spotlight in terms of presentation and her reputation. I hardly doubt she's ever take Morozov-approach ever. Lots of skaters may compromise, but Yuna? I don't think so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    From my perspective it seems like she is being pressured into this. I don't believe her heart is in it. I don't know her, never met her, but this sounds like pressure. My take on her OGM was that she did it, it's OVER. She never appeared to like figure skating and was even quoted at age 13/14 that she wanted to quit.
    Read at least one of the articles posted here where Yuna explains her reasons. Try to believe that she is not lying at least this one time.

Then again, maybe she has stealthily been practicing, straightening out her legs, learning to point her toes, have better turn-out, etc. Who knows.
    I really doubt that, as she has never needed that to receive the needed marks. There are other things that she needs to work on in order to get them back. If she manages that and to attain some psychological stability, it should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    I cannot think that this performance is by a skater who doesn't like or even hates(according to some people) skating.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7rccqcSzg
    Don't bother. It seems that most people here are not interested in show performances, since they can't fathom that those might be any good nowadays (or they were never interested in skating outside of competition to begin with). So, most likely no one will watch this. But I absolutely agree with you (I have seen this program/performance and other performances from Yuna that, to me, showed that she can enjoy skating).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Beautiful transitions and commitment, dedication to the choreography are what brought Yuna onto the spotlight in terms of presentation and her reputation. I hardly doubt she's ever take Morozov-approach ever. Lots of skaters may compromise, but Yuna? I don't think so.
    I don't either, but just the suggestion hit a nerve for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    This sport is slowly progressing towards a display of jump elements with a few spins and crossovers thrown in. Look at the monster score Alena Leonova got for her SP in Nice. That program was horse sh*t and yet she was rewarded the top score of the night. I'd hate to see Yu-Na lower herself to that standard of skating. She's the only skater of this IJS era to maximize the system on both ends, TES and PCS. If she took a Morosov approach to her skating it would break my heart. I hate it when skaters have to compromise their style and what makes them special just to earn a score. She can start off with a less demanding technical load and build her way up heading into Soichi, but I really hope she doesn't strip her skating down in terms of choreography, transitions and artistry.

If Yu-Na came out and did a program a la Alena Leonova (basically end to end jumping with zero in between) she'd quickly lose me as a fan. The choreography and transitions are what make her skating enjoyable so I really hope she doesn't go that route.
    You see, this is the exactly type of thing her camp should look out for, i.e. comparing her 2014 program and performance to those of 2010.

Poor girl is being asked to better her own past performances rather than those of her competitors. How is that for fairness, sigh.

It would be reasonable to guess that she won't likely repeat or better her Vancuver performances. She was at the peak of her game in 2010, as well-trained as ever, and free of nagging injuries. Now, she is older and has taken a lengthy vacation out of competitions.

BTW, let me clarify what I mean by taking it easy on transitions and choreography. I imagine it would be something like her 2009 LP to Sheherazade. It wasn't nearly difficult and intricate as her 2010 Concerto in F program, though it was a pretty program nicely woven together. It did, however, provide enough breathing room for Kim, who always had trouble getting through a long program without running out of steam. If she gets back into her 2010 shape, she might want to turn on the heat with her 2014 Olympic program, but I think a moderate program will suit her needs for this season.

If a program like Sheherazade isn't going to be good enough for you, I wouldn't know what to say.

I also think you won't have to worry about Kim pulling a Leonova. I expect Kim and Wilson have more sense of decency than Leonova and Morozov will ever have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    She has been there and she should know what to expect. Michelle would have told her what different pressure she is likely to face (based on Michelle's own experience). She's a sensible girl. I am sure she knows her strengths and limitations. I like the fact that her return will up the ante for the ladies. Just like Plushenko and Weir's return will also increase the competition in the men. Good on you Yuna. Just do your best.

vCash
    You see, this is the exactly type of thing her camp should look out for, i.e. comparing her 2014 program and performance to those of 2010.

Poor girl is being asked to better her own past performances rather than those of her competitors. How is that for fairness, sigh.

It would be reasonable to guess that she won't likely repeat or better her Vancuver performances. She was at the peak of her game in 2010, as well-trained as ever, and free of nagging injuries. Now, she is older and has taken a lengthy vacation out of competitions.

BTW, let me clarify what I mean by taking it easy on transitions and choreography. I imagine it would be something like her 2009 LP to Sheherazade. It wasn't nearly difficult and intricate as her 2010 Concerto in F program, though it was a pretty program nicely woven together. It did, however, provide enough breathing room for Kim, who always had trouble getting through a long program without running out of steam. If she gets back into her 2010 shape, she might want to turn on the heat with her 2014 Olympic program, but I think a moderate program will suit her needs for this season.

If a program like Sheherazade isn't going to be good enough for you, I wouldn't know what to say.

I also think you won't have to worry about Kim pulling a Leonova. I expect Kim and Wilson have more sense of decency than Leonova and Morozov will ever have.
    I get where you're coming from 100%. She shouldn't extend herself if she doesn't need to and in this current ladies field, she soooooo doesn't need to. As long as the rest of her skating stays constant (meaning her SS, CH, IN and PE) are at her level--which it will be b/c she's Yu-Na --she can afford to ease up on her technical content if need be. A 3lz-3t is all she needs to set her apart from the rest of the field; she could even downgrade to the 3f-3t if she wanted to. There are only a handful of ladies successfully hitting that lz-t combo and I don't think any of them were at worlds.

I think her two programs from 2011 deserve another shot. She only performed them once and neither one was clean or performed to its potential. If not, I'd love to see her bring back her 2007 programs (Tango and Lark). She was budding as an artist back then; I'd love to see her perform them now with the level of maturity and polish she's gained over the years. She and David could even revamp them a bit. Either way, I know she won't be approaching this in a half-assed manner. I'm really excited to see what she can do!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I get where you're coming from 100%. She shouldn't extend herself if she doesn't need to and in this current ladies field, she soooooo doesn't need to. As long as the rest of her skating stays constant (meaning her SS, CH, IN and PE) are at her level--which it will be b/c she's Yu-Na --she can afford to ease up on her technical content if need be. A 3lz-3t is all she needs to set her apart from the rest of the field; she could even downgrade to the 3f-3t if she wanted to. There are only a handful of ladies successfully hitting that lz-t combo and I don't think any of them were at worlds.

I think her two programs from 2011 deserve another shot. She only performed them once and neither one was clean or performed to its potential. If not, I'd love to see her bring back her 2007 programs (Tango and Lark). She was budding as an artist back then; I'd love to see her perform them now with the level of maturity and polish she's gained over the years. She and David could even revamp them a bit. Either way, I know she won't be approaching this in a half-assed manner. I'm really excited to see what she can do!
    I thought the reason she switched to 3lz-3t was because she was getting ! calls on the flip when she did the 3f-3t? I would love if she brought it back though since it had slightly more oomph than the 3lz-3t.

I really don't think she should (or would) repeat her 2007 programs. Tango de Roxanne was a masterpiece and as we've seen with Michelle and her Rach SP, repeating masterpieces don't really have the same effect the second time.
    As for Lark Ascending, that was another gem even though it was never skated cleanly. I don't think Yuna or David will ever go the repeat route except probably revamping Arirang. If she goes with Arirang again, I hope they find new music for the footwork section. I couldn't stand those voices or whatever the hell it was in the background.

On a related note... whatever happened to Shae-Lynn choreographing her 2011 SP? Was it ever revealed why that never happened?

vCash
    This certainly took me by surprise. I have to wonder if she'll end up changing her mind again, though. Figure skating just seems so different now from when Yuna was tearing up the scene a few years ago. Plus she's competed once in the past 2 years, and this past season not at all, I know she still trains, but she's getting older and with all that time off I imagine it would be tough to get back into her former dominating form.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    On a related note... whatever happened to Shae-Lynn choreographing her 2011 SP? Was it ever revealed why that never happened?
    There was no official explanantion on why it did not happen. But something can be guessed from my old memories.

IIRC, when Yuna was supposed to start the SP work with Shae-Lynn, the Kim-Orser split blew up unexpected. Yuna had to move out of Toronto. Shae-Lynn started participating in BOTB full time for an extended period. Most probably they could not find a suitable time slot again to create the program together for that season.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast