View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link among these past champions?

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lu Chen

    144 38.61%
  • Michelle Kwan

    21 5.63%
  • Irina Slutskaya

    43 11.53%
  • Mao Asada

    120 32.17%
  • Yuna Kim

    45 12.06%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 287
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think it's Lu Chen's time. I've been voting for her since the round Lipinski was voted out. I love her skating, but I don't think her competitiveness and overall level (technically) can compare with the other skaters on this list.

    The other skater I would have considered is Mao Asada. Mao is a strong technical skater who can pull off triple-triples and triple axels, and delivers terrific spins and spirals. She's also fairly strong artistically. Artistically, her Chopin SP was better than any of Slutskaya's programs, for example. True, she never won Worlds convincingly with two completely clean programs. But she was usually a contender for the top, and was a solid 2nd place in Vancouver.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Lu Chen. She has way overstayed her welcome.
    We all know you hate Lulu to death so just give it up. Please.

    Geez, I never knew Lulu haters existed until you came along.

    Anyways, I voted for Irina. Lulu and her are close, in my opinion, but Irina was just not polished enough nor artistic enough to be on the same list as these skaters even if she did win 2 Worlds and has 2 Olympic medals.
    Last edited by smarts1; 07-01-2012 at 06:24 PM.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    All the Maobots are coming out in droves
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    This actually confirms they are just bots and don't know how to vote strategicaly. If they were smart, they will leave the Yuna hate aside and would vote for Chen who's the likely candidate to get kicked out.



    This is why I feel this is one of the most unpleasant polls.
    I hope both of you are just kidding saying them.
    I know this is off season, and some people say they are doing it just for fun, but is this really funny? Is this poll really worth doing ? Some people even judge skaters without actually seeing their skating live and can say whatever they want by just seeing the skaters only on screens. I think it is not fair.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post

    This is why I feel this is one of the most unpleasant polls.
    I hope both of you are just kidding saying them.
    I know this is off season, and some people say they are doing it just for fun, but is it really funny? Is this poll really worth doing ? Some people even judge skaters without actually seeing their skating live and can say whatever they want by just seeing the skaters only on screens. I think it is not fair.


    Why are you getting your panties all in a twist over a meaningless poll on a message board?

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Irina Slutskaya.
    I admire her qualities, but compared to the others, her skating lacks of lightness, grace, and she was not technically that superior.
    Yes, as the clunkiest skater left Irina must go. Well, actually she was the clunkiest once Hughes got offed.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cerro Torre
    Posts
    3,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    This actually confirms they are just bots and don't know how to vote strategicaly. If they were smart, they will leave the Yuna hate aside and would vote for Chen who's the likely candidate to get kicked out.
    This poll is going to give us a precise count of how many of them there are who still visit FSU.

  7. #27
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,597
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35522
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Yes, as the clunkiest skater left Irina must go. Well, actually she was the clunkiest once Hughes got offed.
    I'm out of reps for you...

    Tho' I always thought of Sarah as more gawky than clunky..Fine line there..

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Chen. I like her, and she has an impressive medal count but she's lucky to have made it this far IMO. Mao is next on the chopping block for me in round 9.

    I'm surprised to see so many Slutskaya votes. She's my least personal favorite of the few remaining, but she was WAY more competitive and accomplished more than Chen or Asada.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Chen. I like her, and she has an impressive medal count but she's lucky to have made it this far IMO. Mao is next on the chopping block for me in round 9.

    I'm surprised to see so many Slutskaya votes. She's my least personal favorite of the few remaining, but she was WAY more competitive and accomplished more than Chen or Asada.
    My response to that: we are all interpreting this poll in the way we want. If we were historians analyzing achievements, there would likely be reasonable consensus and this would be a much less complex, heated thread.

    I take this as more of a personal judgment poll, not a "the judges did that, so I'll repeat how they scored the skaters". There's more I could write as a continuation, but I likely won't.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post

    This is why I feel this is one of the most unpleasant polls.
    I hope both of you are just kidding saying them.
    I know this is off season, and some people say they are doing it just for fun, but is this really funny? Is this poll really worth doing ? Some people even judge skaters without actually seeing their skating live and can say whatever they want by just seeing the skaters only on screens. I think it is not fair.
    Have you seen all of these skaters live? If not, are you not voting?
    Most people cannot watch every skating competition live anyway.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Shen & Zhou, Pang & Tong, Zhang & Zhang, Sui & Han, came from the same federation and still managed to get higher scores than they deserve on a regular basis, especialy the last 2 or 3 of those. The Chinese fed. being weak is a myth.
    It's certainly strong now, but would you argue it was as strong twenty years ago, when Lu really burst onto the scene?

    All these skaters have produced skates that I cherish and belong on my permanent rotation. Anyway, I'm stealing Zemgirl's idea and voting based on the most annoying ubers.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My order would have been

    Asada
    Chen
    Arakawa

    but since Divakawa was voted out too early I'm sticking with Asada until she's out.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,260
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I voted Mao too; her recent string of inconsistent performances and outright meltdowns have sort of overshadowed her former glory, IMO. Placing 6th at 2012 Worlds, behind Ashley Wagner at 2012 4CC, 6th at 2011 Worlds, behind Miki Ando at 2011 4CC, failing to make the GPF in 2009 and 2010, and placing 4th at 2009 Worlds are all pretty disappointing outcomes for someone of her talent and reputation level. Her jump technique has always been problematic and suspect, particularly with the Lutz and Salchow jumps, and ever since the 2010 season even the famed 3Axel fails her on a regular basis. I so miss the great Mao of 2007; she seems so far removed from that skater now!

    Chen had technique problems on certain jumps too (especially in 1998) and her spins many times could use improvement, but at least her programs were never bad or forgettable like I find so many of Mao's to be (Mao's 2009-2012 programs with the exception of her '09 SP and '12 SP have been for me). Plus, IMO, Chen is the better artist of the two.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 07-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    251
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I voted Mao too; her recent string of inconsistent performances and outright meltdowns have sort of overshadowed her former glory, IMO. Placing 6th at 2012 Worlds, behind Ashley Wagner at 2012 4CC, 6th at 2011 Worlds, failing to make the GPF in 2009 and 2010, and placing 4th at 2009 Worlds are all pretty disappointing outcomes for someone of her talent and reputation level. Her jump technique has always been problematic and suspect, particularly with the Lutz and Salchow jumps, and ever since the 2010 season even the famed 3Axel fails her on a regular basis. I so miss the great Mao of 2007; she seems so far removed from that skater now!

    Chen had technique problems on certain jumps too (especially in 1998) and her spins many times could use improvement, but at least her programs were never bad or forgettable like I find so many of Mao's to be (Mao's 2009-2012 programs with the exception of her '09 SP and '12 SP have been for me). Plus, IMO, Chen is the better artist of the two.
    i don't know how knowledgeable you are, but what a great way to disregard everything that has happened to her and she has been through, cause if you researched just a bit of what had happened you would know, that she just lost her mother who has been a great support too Mao, and who has been sick for who knows how long, and reworked her technique from scratch, as well as changed her coach and lost alot of weight due too everuthing that has happened.... afterall she is not an robot who doesn't have any emotion or doesn't get affected by the enviroment she is in!

    and through these two seasons have been the most diificult for Mao, she was always a contender for every gold medal at every competition, since no one knew how long it would take to recorver from all this.. and as a reminder she still won or got silver at every competition she had entered beside worlds, and that beeing in her one of her worst season!

  15. #35

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,318
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    i don't know how knowledgeable you are, but what a great way to disregard everything that has happened to her and she has been through, cause if you researched just a bit of what had happened you would know, that she just lost her mother who has been a great support too Mao, and who has been sick for who knows how long, and reworked her technique from scratch, as well as changed her coach and lost alot of weight due too everuthing that has happened.... afterall she is not an robot who doesn't have any emotion or doesn't get affected by the enviroment she is in!
    I'm not terribly knowledgeable and I still feel terribly bad for Mao (and for any other person who has had to go through the same thing), but I'm certain that losing her mother has nothing to do with her problematic jump technique which she has already developed from a young age. And the fact that she has had to spend so much time reworking her technique is precisely because of her problematic technique.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,890
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    i don't know how knowledgeable you are, but what a great way to disregard everything that has happened to her and she has been through, cause if you researched just a bit of what had happened you would know, that she just lost her mother who has been a great support too Mao, and who has been sick for who knows how long, and reworked her technique from scratch, as well as changed her coach and lost alot of weight due too everuthing that has happened.... afterall she is not an robot who doesn't have any emotion or doesn't get affected by the enviroment she is in!

    and through these two seasons have been the most diificult for Mao, she was always a contender for every gold medal at every competition, since no one knew how long it would take to recorver from all this.. and as a reminder she still won or got silver at every competition she had entered beside worlds, and that beeing in her one of her worst season!
    Most people here are very knowledgeable and it gets frustrating when people keep repeating very common public knowledge like it's some kind of insider info most people don't know.

    And while I think it's great to be sympathetic to just how darn hard skating is... for ALL skaters... pretty much none of your list of excuses for Mao were terribly compelling. Yes, she lost her mom. Just as Joannie did when she had her all time career high and won an oly medal... and then there's Irina's and her own health issues and she's here on the list too. While it's admirable that she seeks to fix her terrible tech, she's not the only skater to do so, and the fact that she had to totally relearn from scratch kinda just shows how crappy her tech was to begin with: not exactly a stellar recommendation, but the fact that she at least tried could be why someone with such awful tech lasted on the poll longer than Hughes or Lipinski.

    Are we really gonna get into Chen's problems with her fed, Kwan ditching Frank and Kim ditching Orser etc.... in other words: all the excuses we can muster on why they didn't do as well as they could in certain events. In mean, who on this list hasn't had their share of problems. Mao is no robot, she's human just like everyone else on the poll.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    251
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Most people here are very knowledgeable and it gets frustrating when people keep repeating very common public knowledge like it's some kind of insider info most people don't know.

    And while I think it's great to be sympathetic to just how darn hard skating is... for ALL skaters... pretty much none of your list of excuses for Mao were terribly compelling. Yes, she lost her mom. Just as Joannie did when she had her all time career high and won an oly medal... and then there's Irina's and her own health issues and she's here on the list too. While it's admirable that she seeks to fix her terrible tech, she's not the only skater to do so, and the fact that she had to totally relearn from scratch kinda just shows how crappy her tech was to begin with: not exactly a stellar recommendation, but the fact that she at least tried could be why someone with such awful tech lasted on the poll longer than Hughes or Lipinski.

    Are we really gonna get into Chen's problems with her fed, Kwan ditching Frank and Kim ditching Orser etc.... in other words: all the excuses we can muster on why they didn't do as well as they could in certain events. In mean, who on this list hasn't had their share of problems. Mao is no robot, she's human just like everyone else on the poll.
    through some other skaters also have tried to lose a mother they never had to go through half of what Mao did, cause losing her mother is only one of the Many things she has been through..

    and the one you call has terrible tech is the same one who has performed a dosin beautiful of 3A and several different 3-3 and had included all the kinds of jumps in the same program... it's the same Mao who has done 3A and several 3-3 in the same program... my god if she is a terrible tech who is a great tech lol, there is a reason why she was called a genius when she bursted into the scene... her suddenly deciding to rework her jumps is her choice, wheter it's right or wrong is not for you to decide, you should rather be proud to have skater of her calibre who has the will to continue improving, and have such an amazing working ethic, that in itself shows how much skating means for her and and how passionate she is about it, it's what's makes her soo special and what sets her apart from other skaters!
    Last edited by Amy03; 07-01-2012 at 11:22 PM.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    through some other skaters also have tried to lose a mother they never had to go through half of what Mao did, cause losing her mother is only one of the Many things she has been through..
    I'm sorry, I think that's just rude. Every single one of the skaters on this list has overcome significant adversity at some point (like berthesghost said) and singling out Mao as the single most long-suffering saint of a skater is just disrespectful to everyone else.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    through some other skaters also have tried to lose a mother they never had to go through half of what Mao did, cause losing her mother is only one of the Many things she has been through..

    and the one you call has terrible tech is the same one who has performed a dosin beautiful of 3A and several different 3-3 and had included all the kinds of jumps in the same program... it's the same Mao who has done 3A and several 3-3 in the same program... my god if she is a terrible tech who is a great tech lol, there is a reason why she was called a genius when she bursted into the scene... her suddenly deciding to rework her jumps is her choice, wheter it's right or wrong is not for you to decide, you should rather be proud to have skater of her calibre who has the will to continue improving, and have such an amazing working ethic, that in itself shows how much skating means for her and and how passionate she is about it, it's what's makes her soo special and what sets her apart from other skaters!




  20. #40
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    ...if you researched just a bit of what had happened you would know, that she just lost her mother who has been a great support too Mao, and who has been sick for who knows how long, and reworked her technique from scratch, as well as changed her coach and lost alot of weight due too everuthing that has happened.... afterall she is not an robot who doesn't have any emotion or doesn't get affected by the enviroment she is in!
    Well this is 'figure skating survivor' not 'life skills survivor'. I still think of Mao back in 05-08, but ever since then she hasn't been the same skater. Growth, poor technique, maturity all caught up with her. And whose fault is it that she had to go rework her technique from scratch? I'd like to see Slutskaya go before Mao, because Mao's skating has actually touched me, but I perfectly see how she is the weakest link in this group.

    Mao did win Worlds miraculously in 10, but she has been disappointing for several years. Her current skating self and for the past several years does not come close to the aura she had in her earlier years. JMHO
    I will not be ignored! -Me

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •