View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link among these past champions?

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lu Chen

144 38.61%
  • Michelle Kwan

21 5.63%
  • Irina Slutskaya

43 11.53%
  • Mao Asada

120 32.17%
  • Yuna Kim

45 12.06%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Seems like Lulu will be out in this round. But you gotta admit, she was truly special.
    Agreed. I did vote for Mao this round b/c Lulu was a more consistent competitor...though I hated voting for Mao. She's a truly special skater as well. However, given the high number of votes she garnered this round she's definitely on the chopping block next round.

I expect things will start getting very dirty from here on out...

vCash
    It is already evident the final 3 will be Kim, Slutskaya, and Kwan. I woudnt be surprised if Kim's point total balloons next round (although still not enough to go out before Mao) but then drops way down again once Mao is gone as Mao fans will also have lost interest at that point, and Kim ends up in the final 2 or even winning. Once Mao is gone it will mostly be the turn of the Kwan and Slutskaya ubers to spar.

vCash
    omg its just a poll for fun...if people are signing up under fake screen names just to vote then that is really... sad...and creepy.

vCash
    For me this vote was between Lu Chen and Mao Asada. I voted for Asada because while I admire her skating she has never moved me the way that Lu Chen has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    For me this vote was between Lu Chen and Mao Asada. I voted for Asada because while I admire her skating she has never moved me the way that Lu Chen has.
    I totally agree !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Agreed. I did vote for Mao this round b/c Lulu was a more consistent competitor...though I hated voting for Mao. She's a truly special skater as well. However, given the high number of votes she garnered this round she's definitely on the chopping block next round.
    I'm not so sure. It seems only three of the remaining four (Mao, Yuna, Michelle) have a large number of ubers. How many of those voting Lulu this round will vote Irina next round?

We'll have to wait and see, but I agree it will be

vCash
    OMG people... This is not a poll about who moved you the most and who made your heart feel warm ?? This is about who is truly the weaker skater. Yes Chen Lu had good artistically but she didnt have the technical ability anywhere near Mao Asada. And yes people can say " oh but she didnt have a supportive country" blah blah blah, it doesnt matter, she was a weaker skater and should be voted out.

In terms of the next vote, they all have great artistically ( besides maybe Irina ) but there are clear differences in technical ability. 3 of them (irina, mao, kim) can do clean and difficult 3-3 combinations while Michelle can not. I know people want her to win this poll, but my next vote will go to Michelle because of her lower technical ability than the others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post

In terms of the next vote, they all have great artistically ( besides maybe Irina ) but there are clear differences in technical ability. 3 of them (irina, mao, kim) can do clean and difficult 3-3 combinations while Michelle can not. I know people want her to win this poll, but my next vote will go to Michelle because of her lower technical ability than the others.
    I love Mao and would love her to win and I can't believe I'm defending Michelle Kwan but she consistently performed Triple Toes and Triple Loops and Triple Salchows.

How often did Mao perform a Triple Toe and how many times has she performed a Triple Salchow? And how many times did Yu-na Kim do a Triple Loop? Also Triple Lutz something Mao has doen maybe one of.

I also disagree that artistry shouldn't be in play it absolutely should. And for me I will always regard Mao's Nocturne No.2 to be her finest program and to hold side by side against any program Lu Chen, Michelle Kwan, Yu-na Kim and Irina Slutskaya did. I also love her Claire De Lune.

vCash
    OMG people... This is not a poll about who moved you the most and who made your heart feel warm ?? This is about who is truly the weaker skater. Yes Chen Lu had good artistically but she didnt have the technical ability anywhere near Mao Asada. And yes people can say " oh but she didnt have a supportive country" blah blah blah, it doesnt matter, she was a weaker skater and should be voted out.

Hi.

This is a discussion about figure skating. You know, the sport where an entire 50% of the scoring is for choreo, interpretation, musicality, etc...all the stuff that makes up what used to be called presentation, and before that artistry. Whatever you call it, it still means the same, and has always had an equal part in the sport's scoring as tech.

When another poll comes along titled "who was the weakest skater technically only, then you can vent. Until then, youre not making sense.
    Im sorry but Michelle and Chen have considerably weaker technical ability than the rest on this poll. Yeah they both are good artistically but so are Yuna and Mao. Michelle and Chen could never do any good 3-3 combinations ( sometimes 3T+3T ) while the others on this poll consistently pulled of fantastic 3-3 combinations of much harder difficulty than 3t+3t. In my opinion Chen should be voted out now, the either michelle or Irina because they both lack either technical ability (michelle) or atristic ability(irina), while Mao and Yuna exceeded at both

vCash
    3 of them (irina, mao, kim) can do clean and difficult 3-3 combinations while Michelle can not. I know people want her to win this poll, but my next vote will go to Michelle because of her lower technical ability than the others.
    How many of them pulled off 7-triple programs? Michelle did it at least 10 or 11 times. Kim and Slutskaya maybe twice and Mao...did she ever? I'm not discounting the difficulty of those three you mentioned, but being well rounded, consistent, and staying on your feet has to count for something.

Michelle Kwan hit at LEAST 6 triples in every freeskate at worlds from her debut in 1995 until 2004 when she hit 5 which is the same total amount of triples as Yuna's best freeskate at Worlds. Name any other woman who could hit 6 (or 7) triples at Worlds for 9 years in a row. For that reason, Michelle Kwan is simply unmatched as a competitor in my mind.

vCash
    I never thought Michelle was so great artistically. To me, she was a very good technical skater. I apologize, ubers.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    It is already evident the final 3 will be Kim, Slutskaya, and Kwan. I woudnt be surprised if Kim's point total balloons next round (although still not enough to go out before Mao) but then drops way down again once Mao is gone as Mao fans will also have lost interest at that point, and Kim ends up in the final 2 or even winning. Once Mao is gone it will mostly be the turn of the Kwan and Slutskaya ubers to spar.
    that pretty much sums up the ending
    although I think Yuna will win this poll

vCash
    I do not think Yuna has made the same impact as Irina who competed in the gold era with and against Kwan, but she probably will win the poll anyway.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Triple Butz;3613644]How many of them pulled off 7-triple programs? Michelle did it at least 10 or 11 times. Kim and Slutskaya maybe twice and Mao...did she ever? I'm not discounting the difficulty of those three you mentioned, but being well rounded, consistent, and staying on your feet has to count for something.

I am sorry to dissappoint you but Mao Asada has pulled many 7-tripples program that includes a 3A and 3-3 and most other jumps in combination too, let me show you a few of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ8LXKlFjUI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJ_mG6Qvno
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdY5uHROoI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpZGFBDYc2w

vCash

I get your point but i think irena should go first, because unlike michelle, irena really lacked artistically.. so i would much rather see a skater who has the jumps right as well as great artistry, then a skater who has done 3-3 once in a while, but doesn't have any artistry... beside that michelle was much more consistent then irena! so my vote will deffinitly go for irena in the next round!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    I am sorry to dissappoint you but Mao Asada has pulled many 7-tripples program that includes a 3A and 3-3 and most other jumps in combination too, let me show you a few of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ8LXKlFjUI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJ_mG6Qvno
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdY5uHROoI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpZGFBDYc2w
    It's interesting to see that the 3Axel attempts of the first 2 videos look good and still receive -GOE.
    Plus, in that period (2007-2008), she skates too much on 2-feet !
    (I voted for Irina this time, not for Mao )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Plus, in that period (2007-2008), she skates too much on 2-feet !
    Did 2007-2008 Mao skate 2-feet more than Michelle or Irina ever did in their performances? (A real question)

That 2011 4CC performance was really beautiful. I remember watching that and totally expecting Mao to rock it from there on til Sochi, and then was quite shocked to see her suddenly thin and frail at 2011 Worlds. Looking back, it must have been after 4CC that she found out about her mother's state.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03;3613685
    :rofl::rofl: I am sorry to dissappoint you but Mao Asada has pulled many 7-tripples program that includes a 3A and 3-3 and most other jumps in combination too, let me show you a few of them:

[url

Thanks for the links. The last one is really beautiful, she skated with such a joy. And the 3A is smooth, light and effortless. What happened to her between this and the Worlds? I heard the massive earthquake was an enormous shock to her, and was she worrying about her mother's health at the same time?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Did 2007-2008 Mao skate 2-feet more than Michelle or Irina ever did in their performances? (A real question)
    I admit that I didn't watch them to compare. It's just that when I was watching those videos of Mao, I noticed that the first part is on 2-feet, while at 2011 4CC, it was so much better !

vCash
    Mao's Fantasia LP had a lot of crossovers which were never her strong point before going to Sato, who has greatly improved her stroking. Mao also have a low free leg that lends itself to 2-ft and probably affects her GOE on her jumps. I also find a similar problem with LuLu's skating especially during her last years. But despite that, they both skate effortlessly and gracefully.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast