vCash

Laptop shopping, toshiba or HP

Decided to buy a new laptop, should I get a toshiba or HP? Want to spend between $500.00 and $700.00 dollars, laptop mainly to surf the web and play game on facebook. Not putting word processor on it, have desktop for that.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I had a bad experience with Toshiba but that was several years ago. Maybe they make them better now. Just go with the one you like better, I guess.

INTJ
    vCash
    At that price point I wouldn't expect there to be much difference between the two as far as hardware is concerned. I'd go with whichever is the most durable/comfortable. Most people have trouble with laptops because they're dropped, spilled on, etc.. Also, some laptops are just really uncomfortable to type on. There's a lot of really terrible trackpads out there too.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    I've had my Toshiba since October (it was a quick purchase as my old laptop kicked the bucket so I didn't do much research on what to get) and I really like it. I haven't had many issues, sometimes it'll freeze up and take a few minutes to get it all sorted out, but I haven't had a laptop that hasn't done that from time to time.

vCash
    If you just want to play Facebook games and surf the web, why not get a netbook for $300-400? Your budget would buy you an excellent regular laptop.

I only spent $450 on my HP laptop and it's powerful enough that I can use it for freelance graphics work. I really like it, although it is heavy and had a bunch of blue screen errors earlier. I ran chkdsk and it stopped.

vCash
    I've always had issues with Toshiba, mainly with freezing and overheating, and never had any problems with HP. YMMV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    If you just want to play Facebook games and surf the web, why not get a netbook for $300-400? Your budget would buy you an excellent regular laptop.

Don't you sacrifice screen size and memory when you buy a netbook?
    Last edited by judiz; 07-01-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    I hate, hate, hate the track pad on my HP -it's too 'sticky' (if that makes sense) and double tapping often doesn't work. Also, the USB ports have become flaky as well (can never tell which of the three is going to work). I'll be looking for a different brand just as soon as I can afford to replace mine.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Don't you sacrifice screen size and memory when you buy a netbook?
    Sure, but do you need a very large screen for Facebook games and FSU? I find anything more than a 15" screen unwieldy for sitting on the couch.

vCash
    All my laptops have been Toshiba with the one exception of an HP that Best Buy gave me after they lost my Toshiba. I had nothing but trouble with the HP from the start so thank God Best Buy lost my HP (yet again) and I received another Toshiba. My kids have Toshiba and they haven't had any trouble either.

PS I no longer use Best Buy's Geek Squad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Sure, but do you need a very large screen for Facebook games and FSU? I find anything more than a 15" screen unwieldy for sitting on the couch.
    I'm looking for a 15 inch screen

vCash
    I would also consider looking at Asus and Fujitsu. Have had relatively good experiences with both of them.

vCash
    I also have an HP laptop - never again!

vCash
    Get a Mac
    I've had both HP and Toshiba laptops and was extremely dissatisfied with both. The Toshiba one had the screen flicker and black out frequently. It also stopped charging unless the power cord was inserted into the jack at a very specific angle. The motherboard had to be replaced to fix these problems.... except two months later they restarted so the motherboard had to be replaced again. It turned out that both problems were well-known defects in the model I use and occurred in many computers of the same model. Did Toshiba recall the computers or offer to replace them? Of course not. Luckily I had bought extended warranty and did not have to pay 500$ (!) to replace the motherboard. The Toshiba service center took three weeks to repair the computer both times and didn't even give me a replacement computer that I could use in the meantime.

The HP was also crappy. Four months after I bought it, the wireless Internet just stopped working for no reason. Again an expensive part had to get replaced. About a year after I bought it, it had become so slow that using it was like torture - about 8 minutes to turn on and become operational, and freezing up frequently.

I treated these laptops very carefully, never dropped them or spilled anything on them, so these errors were both due to manufacturing issues/ defective parts. Frankly, unless you're dead set on HP or Toshiba for some reason, I encourage you to get a Mac - you become used to the PC/Mac differences in an hour, I've had my Mac longer than I had the Toshiba or the HP and it still works as well as the first day I bought it (touch wood) and it has never caused problems or made me want to tear out my hair and dash the computer against a wall like the other two did.

ETA: Reread and the Mac seems out of your budget range... In which case I suggest you get a netbook (a friend has Asus and loves it) and don't waste your money on HP or Toshiba which are both crappy.

vCash
    The new issue of Consumer's Reports came today and they have ratings for laptops so I will study that issue and all the suggestions made here. Thank you.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Also check out CNet for reviews.

vCash
    Had a Toshiba. Didn't last long. Wouldn't recommend it.

vCash
    My HP works fine.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I am leaning towards a HP, saw one at PC Richards, on sale that seems like a good model. I am currently using a Toshiba Satellite which is over five years old and has had the hard drive and memory replaced, previous laptop was a Dell which didn't last long.