View Poll Results: Who should medal here?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Larisa Iordache

15 53.57%
  • Catalina Ponor

3 10.71%
  • Gabrielle Douglas

6 21.43%
  • Alexandra Raisman

13 46.43%
  • Jordyn Wieber

6 21.43%
  • Yao Jinnan

0 0%
  • Sandra Izbasa

4 14.29%
  • Lauren Mitchell

1 3.57%
  • Viktoria Komova

2 7.14%
  • Aliya Mustafina

1 3.57%
  • Sui Lu

4 14.29%
  • Ksenia Afanasyeva

10 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

WAG Floor- Who should medal?

Floor!

vCash
    Afanasyeva deserves the gold and will win it. Iordache will take silver. Bronze will go to another Russian, Raisman, Sui Lu, another Romanian, another American, whoever makes finals and hits best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Afanasyeva deserves the gold and will win it. Iordache will take silver. Bronze will go to another Russian, Raisman, Sui Lu, another Romanian, another American, whoever makes finals and hits best.
    Have you seen her new floor? I've heard rave reviews about it but haven't had any luck finding the video. I want her to win as well, but with that said I have a feeling she's going to mess up.

I went with Iordache, Raisman, and Mitchell (I just have a feeling about her). But I think the whole podium could potentially be split between 2 Romanians/2 Americans.

I think floor is my least favorite event in womens gymnastics right now

vCash
    Izbasa has stated she wants to medal in Floor. Catalina Ponor has a decent floor but I think she will have a hard time qualifying to the final over Izbasa or Iordache. Bullimar is likely to be the fourth lady on Floor for Romania an I wouldn't discount her either.

I really feel Floor is pretty wide open. I expect Raisman and Weiber to make the final. Iordache as well. I'd favour Yao Jinnan and Lui to make the final among the Chinese. I hold my breath for the Russians but I would favour Grishina and Afanaseva. Tweddle is a possibility. Mitchell as well.

Honestly I'm going with.

Gold: Iordache
    Silver: Raisman
    Bronze: Weiber

vCash
    Afanasyeva, Iordache and Raisman, but it could be in any order.

vCash
    So difficult to call:

Iordache (Gold, no brainer)

Silver/Bronze between :another Romanian and Afan..... Izbasa, Ponor or Bulimar - just can't decide which Romanian will make it nor am I certain that Afan has the difficulty or neck to pull off a 15.3

Other finalists
    Sui
    Raisman
    Wieber
    Tweddle (Only with a missive inflated D score)
    Yao and Mitchell

vCash
    I think it will be:
    Gold: Iordache
    Silver: Raisman
    Bronze: Weiber or Afanasyeva

Iordache is just gorgeous on floor...I really hope she hits and wins. I actually love the way Aly moves, even if her extension and polish need work...and her tumbling is just I live in the Boston area, and there's been tons of media coverage about her...Boston media can be pretty harsh (and they were on Sacramone for sure) so I hope Aly can get an EF medal, or at least turn in a respectable performance.

Blergh
    vCash
    I wish Iordache had different music though. That generic Latin music is something we would have heard in Athens.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I've just decided to say that Aly will win every EF, including bars.

vCash
    Raisman has a good chance on floor to win. I wouldn't like it to happen but she certainly packs the difficulty in the first tumble. Though there are at least two parts that could be deducted. Having listened to those floor routines six times over the last two months I've come to enjoy every single one too, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I wish Iordache had different music though. That generic Latin music is something we would have heard in Athens.
    When done right, her music can be spectacular:

Exhibit A:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ntsnvukriDo

That routine is why I'm not as sold on Iordaches floor as everyone else.

I do think the judges will want to award a Romanian a gold though, and of all the contenders we've seen this year I think she's the most well-rounded on this event.

vCash
    I love Aly but there's no way the judges will let her win, super difficulty or not. She went into the 2011 EF as the hot favorite for gold (Only Mitchel had been scoring close to her) and the judges demonstarted that they were clearly happy to give the gold to anyone else BUT her. She barely hung onto the bronze.

On one hand, I get it. FX routines should be well-rounded; a really great mix between artistry, choreography, expression and difficulty. Aly has the difficulty but is not quite up to par on the other areas. Sui Lu and AFan definitely had more balanced routines and I don't argue with them winning at all. But it does bug me that no matter how much difficulty Aly can cleanly execute and no matter how well she sells the rest of her routine (which she has been trying to do lately), she will always get an inherant overall "lowball" simply because she's Aly Raisman. I just don't think the judges want her as a FX champion, no matter how hard she tries.

Sorry, I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing the scores or the other athletes because like I said, I thought the Tokyo EF result was fair. I just get the vibe that no matter how difficult her routine is, someone will ALWAYS score higher because nobody is really interested in having Aly as a FX champion.

Now, next year will be different because Aly is going to get a boost in the new code since it favors her tumbling. Especially if she goes in with the reputation as an Olympian, then she might get that gold medal. I just don't see it happening this year.

Besides, there's Larissa! I haven't seen her FX in awhile but I heard it's fab and she has good tumbling too. If it's as good as everyone says I'm sure she'd be a well deserving champion.

vCash
    I agree. The judges will allow Aly a bronze or even maybe silver depending if she clearly outperforms the others as far as difficult tumbling well done, but the gold, not a chance. They would even be more likely to allow her to win the beam gold, despite that her technical form there is twice as fugly as her floor, just since the floor is supposed to be the "artistic" event (granted I think she is less likely to even medal on beam compared to floor).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree. The judges will allow Aly a bronze or even maybe silver depending if she clearly outperforms the others as far as difficult tumbling well done, but the gold, not a chance. They would even be more likely to allow her to win the beam gold, despite that her technical form there is twice as fugly as her floor, just since the floor is supposed to be the "artistic" event (granted I think she is less likely to even medal on beam compared to floor).
    She's not winning beam gold either. If the Romanians after Aly's scores in event finals started speaking out about leaps and splits. She was hit hard at Jeselo. I suspect an example (thank Goodness!) of Aly will be made on beam. I'm sorry but the form there is terrible.

As for floor, now she's not winning there. Supposedly in 2010 she was going to win it but a judge/referee stepped up and pointed out she very much should be getting artistry deductions. And that lead to Mitchell's win...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    She's not winning beam gold either. If the Romanians after Aly's scores in event finals started speaking out about leaps and splits. She was hit hard at Jeselo. I suspect an example (thank Goodness!) of Aly will be made on beam. I'm sorry but the form there is terrible.

As for floor, now she's not winning there. Supposedly in 2010 she was going to win it but a judge/referee stepped up and pointed out she very much should be getting artistry deductions. And that lead to Mitchell's win...
    Oh I agree she isnt winning any individual golds. I only pointed out beam to reinterate how hugely unlikely I think her winning floor gold was is all. She might win no individual medals but I hope she wins a floor medal (I dont want her to win a beam medal but I guess if there are a couple falls or major wobbles from others she might).

What is funny though is many are picking Ponor to win her 2nd Olympic beam gold and her form is pretty bad too IMO, even if she is a more artistic gymnast with nicer dance and rythym.

vCash
    Now sandra izbasa too has a 6.4/6.5 floor, this will make Aly's chances a bit more harder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Now sandra izbasa too has a 6.4/6.5 floor, this will make Aly's chances a bit more harder.
    Today's performance: EPIC tumbles, I don't know about the music. It might really work in an EF final if she sells it hard, but it has no beat and that may fall really flat.

Ponor will not make the final if Sandy does this in London! Romanian Gold and Silver, easy call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    When done right, her music can be spectacular:

Exhibit A:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ntsnvukriDo

That routine is why I'm not as sold on Iordaches floor as everyone else.

I do think the judges will want to award a Romanian a gold though, and of all the contenders we've seen this year I think she's the most well-rounded on this event.
    It must be a Rude Euro thing, but I honestly think Iordache's music and Ch is amazing!

And that ^^^ Horrific example of 'dance' by McCullough made my eyes bleed

Does that mean I have crap taste ???

I've also seen Gabriela y Rodrigo at least 10 times live, they are amazing!

Generic Latin music it is not!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Today's performance: EPIC tumbles, I don't know about the music. It might really work in an EF final if she sells it hard, but it has no beat and that may fall really flat.

Ponor will not make the final if Sandy does this in London! Romanian Gold and Silver, easy call.
    Minus the awkward () pause right before the back tuck during her 3rd tumbling pass, I really enjoyed that.

My second biggest gymnastics wish at these Olympics(my first being Maroney winning Gold on VT) is for Afanasyeva to win Olympic Gold on floor.

vCash
    Romania could hit the jackpot in event finals. They are looking like the favorites now to take gold and silver on beam with Ponor and Iordache, and gold and silver on beam with Iordache and Iszbasa. They could win a vault medal too (probably not gold). Bars it he only event they have no chance to medal on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast