vCash

Muse's Olympic Song

So the official Olympic song by Muse called Survival came out today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt__jKWoYH8

What do we think? Totally awesome or totally cheesy.

I'm going with cheesy: "I'm gonna wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!!" To me, it sounds like a parody of Bohemian Rhapsody. But, I guess it's no worse than any other Olympic songs. Now, we know what will be played over Michael Phelps' victories.

Afterlife
    vCash
    As over the top as the lyrics are it is musically still better than half the stuff from Muse last album, which I loved, but found really boring musically. They have kind of started going for a Queen vibe though. They did that with The United States of Eurasia on The Resistance too.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    This song sucks big time (and I'm a Muse fan)! Very disappointed. I hope this is not the direction the new album is going towards.

vCash
    I don't like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    This song sucks big time (and I'm a Muse fan)! Very disappointed. I hope this is not the direction the new album is going towards.
    Yeah, the lyrics are unbelievably bad: "It's a race/And I'm gonna win/Yes, I'm gonna win/I will light the fuse/I'll never lose..."

Granted, most Olympics songs are crappy anyway so this fits right in. At least it has the factor.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    OMG SO BAD!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    It's about three minutes too long , but you know we'll be humming it when the Olympics start.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    oh my heck

Tranquillo
    vCash
    On the plus side, not having to hear this song at the medal ceremony will be some consolation for the athletes who don't win a medal.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I actually heard this before I heard the original. Which I think absolutely takes the piss out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5oX7keKSk

Then I did listen to the original. It has pulled together Knights of Sedonia, Resistance and Uprising and probably not in a good way. But the good thing it hasn't taken the whole Olympic song thing too seriously and I think is a pisstake as I don't know why they would write such lame lyrics. However I want to see them bring back the giant teddy bears as part of the opening ceremony when they perform it. Then the teddy bears run through the stadium and bite the heads of the atheletes.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    On the plus side, not having to hear this song at the medal ceremony will be some consolation for the athletes who don't win a medal.
    I love the way your brain works.

vCash
    Horrible

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Speaking of Olympic songs, is Sarah Brightman the only person to have ever sung two of them?

2008 Beijing song

1992 Barcelona song
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Given the generally high standard of Muse's music, this is very disappointing.

vCash
    It has the typical Muse sound, but falls flat to their previous stuff, and haz ZERO olympic feel.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Listen to this and Muse doesn't sound so bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    So the official Olympic song by Muse called Survival came out today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt__jKWoYH8

What do we think? Totally awesome or totally cheesy.
    ye gods, that's horrendous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Given the generally high standard of Muse's music, this is very disappointing.
    I think Muse is enjoyable, but I've often found their music a bit cheesy with their bombastic choruses and sometimes I think their lyrics sound like something a teenager who just found out how "totally awesome" anarchy is. That said, I did like Black Holes and Revelations and aside from Knights of Cydonia, thought it was less bombastic than their recent work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    ... and sometimes I think their lyrics sound like something a teenager who just found out how "totally awesome" anarchy is.
    I have never viewed their music like that before but it really sums it up in a nutshell.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.