View Poll Results: Should Cinquanta Stand Down And Make Way For A New President?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

151 82.07%
  • No

13 7.07%
  • Don't Know/No Opinion On The Matter/Unsure

20 10.87%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I had to read the first line multiple times as I kept thinking I was misreading about 2012 Worlds being scandal ridden?? Not agreeing with the winner of an event is a given in this sport. It´s subjective.

I personally find IJS more helpful in seeing what the judges were thinking. 6.0 system gave us very little in way of understanding what they were thinking other then their overall placement and made it much easier for judges to ignore weaknesses in skaters. I find those that whine about the demise of that old system actually miss the fact that the skaters they prefer can no longer get away with showing up, they actually need to be a well balanced skater now.

I googled her name out and found she has a blog with the mission of saving skating. It's a joke. I glanced over her interview with Johnny Weir and at how she (and he, read his responses) think he´s the answer to restoring figure skating to its glory. It may have already been discussed elsewhere, I don't make a habit of entering Weir threads, so apologies if it's rehashing old news but it might give us a taste of what's to come (Lady Gaga version of Carmen )

I won´t give the link as I won't help this hack get hits. If anyone is interested there is enough info to google it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I won´t give the link as I won't help this hack get hits. If anyone is interested there is enough info to google it.
    Oh, please, give us the link. We are keen to find out how to save the skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I did? I wouldn't say ‘everyone’; I wish she explained to me why someone got a 5.7 vs. a 5.9 or a 6.0 for that matter.
    seriously?
    Hughes got mostly 5.7s for presentation in sp at slc. Kwan got all 5.9. In Torino, Cohen got 31.4 for pcs, shiz got 30.09.

Now that cop has done us the tremendous favor of telling us at each comp that the judges are looking for exactly what we always knew they were looking for: skating skills, interpretation, choreo, transitions, You have no figgin clue in the world why Kwan got 5.9 to Hughes 5.7, but you understand perfectly exactly why cohen got 31.4 to shiz's 30.09. Ok,if you say so.
    There were just as many people upset that skater A won over skater B. Talk about clear as mud.
    Yes,and the kookie author of this rant would agree with you... She did say that the cheating under 6.0, most notably the slc pairs event, caused an uproar forcing speedy to act. I missed the part where she said njs caused cheating, or that all judges cheated. She seemed to me to be saying, speedy and his little clique cheat, they cheated under 6.0 and they cheat under cop,but now they have the added benefit of additional cover. Don't agree with her that 12 worlds was the worst. I think the blatant cheating in slc is pretty hard to top. And let's be clear here, we know exactly who cheated in slc, and not only were they not punished, but one of them is actually the top pick for the next isu president, so.....

vCash
    From the comments section underneath the article, posted by the father of a former U.S. National Team member:

But, especially, a science writer with a UCB masters should be ashamed to say the IJS is "an impossibly convoluted point system that no one in the audience can understand". If you are speaking for yourself they should reposess the diploma. If not you are just being patronizing.

To which Monica Friedlander replied:

And you can't possibly claim that anyone in the audience (the fans, not insiders) really understand why someone got 187.3 instead of 179.2. There's nothing condescending about that. Everyone knew the difference between a 5.8 and 6.0.
    His response:

I absolutely do claim that fans can understand the difference between 187.3 and 179.2, and in a more direct and fundamental way than they ever understood the difference between a 5.8 and a 6.0. Why? Because they can know that the first skater got positive GOE on her jumps, or because the second skater missed level on his combination spin. That information was never accessible to fans in 6.0.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debrah View Post
    She is nuts; there was nothing scandalous about the wins by Chan and Virtue & Moir...
    The author may be nuts, but this has to be one of the most redundant statements I've seen you make yet.

vCash
    I am fed up about arguing which judging system is better. I personally believe that IJS is better, but that's my opinion and if someone has different opinion, that's fine with me. After all, the judges has the chance to help someone up or kick someone down in both systems.

However, I do agree with the bits she wrote about Speedy staying in his chair longer. If there are some rules, why there should be suddenly exception for him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    However, I do agree with the bits she wrote about Speedy staying in his chair longer. If there are some rules, why there should be suddenly exception for him?
    He was probably advised by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Three years ago Bloomberg arbitrarily overturned a term limits law in order to allow himself to run for (and buy) a third term. Bullies often get their way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    He was probably advised by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Three years ago Bloomberg arbitrarily overturned a term limits law in order to allow himself to run for (and buy) a third term. Bullies often get their way.
    The term extension did not come from Mr. Chinquanta. The term extension also included many council members. Russia strongly recommended and lobbyed for the extension. They did not want to deal with a whole new cast of characters while orgainizing the Olympics.

The extension had a strong majority, but the term limit extension was only passed by one vote due to the ISU constitution requiring a 2/3 vote for constitutional matters. There was nothing arbitray. Each ISU member federation had votes of equal weight. It was debated by the Congress and each Federation in attendance voted.
    Morry Stillwell

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Gailhaguet leading the ISU during the Sochi Olympics would have been rich.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    There were scandals and I missed them? I feel deprived.
    Me too! I spent a good 5 minutes trying to remember the scandals of Worlds. Then I just felt like I must have missed something big.

Then I realized that the writer lives in another universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    The author may be nuts, but this has to be one of the most redundant statements I've seen you make yet.
    Depends if the fans count at all.

With fewer fans it is easier for speedy (and people like you) to ignore great artisitc skating and just reward Chan's robotic "skating by numbers" style.

Even at Skate Canada the extremely small arena was empty when the "chosen one" came out to show his bland CoP skating style.

In France, Chan was soundly booed by the fans and so were the judges.
    If he really deserved to win then it is obvious skating is no longer a sport people will follow.

Not a sport at all but a convoluted pageant totally unaccountable with the cheating rampant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I did? I wouldn't say ‘everyone’; I wish she explained to me why someone got a 5.7 vs. a 5.9 or a 6.0 for that matter. There were just as many people upset that skater A won over skater B. Talk about clear as mud.

Merlyn Davis
    Meryl *is* magical, though, don't you think?

PS: I thought the ISU had been a dictatorship for quite some time already?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    The term extension did not come from Mr. Chinquanta. The term extension also included many council members. Russia strongly recommended and lobbyed for the extension. They did not want to deal with a whole new cast of characters while orgainizing the Olympics.
    ??? Ciquanta was to finish his term in (presumably) mid-2014. . . AFTER the Sochi Olympics. Russia's recommendation therefore makes no sense. Unless I am missing something?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Watch me move
    vCash
    If Ms. Friedlander thinks the audience can't understand IJS, instead of bitching about it, as a journalist maybe she should explain it so that they can be enlightened. The comments posted by the skater's dad are right on.

I also was surprised to learn that the ISU is now a dictatorship. I thought that happened long ago.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    FREE ISU from dictatorship!
    Vote Friedlander for President and Weir for Vice-President.

vCash
    Well I have responded to the article (yes made my feelings known to Ms Friedlander). Will wait a response.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well I have responded to the article (yes made my feelings known to Ms Friedlander). Will wait a response.
    Would this happen to be you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuV2uR3sqDM

vCash
    Oh, never mind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dred View Post
    Is this a threat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dred View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuV2uR3sqDM
    Holy f*ck how did you manage to find that? It is not even my Youtube account. A friend had videoed it and uploaded it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast