View Poll Results: Should Cinquanta Stand Down And Make Way For A New President?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

151 82.07%
  • No

13 7.07%
  • Don't Know/No Opinion On The Matter/Unsure

20 10.87%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Monica Friedlander: "International Skating Union Now Officially a Dictatorship"

New article by Monica Friedlander in The Examiner. Reads:-

As the 2011-2012 figure skating season closed with one of the most scandal-ridden world championships in the sport’s history, you would expect the sport’s governing body to go back to the drawing board and seek ways to restore public confidence in the integrity of figure skating. Instead,......they pulled off a stunt worthy of any dictatorship...On the agenda was the infamous Resolution No. 7 — an unprecedented and illegal request by the president of the skating union, Ottavio Cinquanta. Because he is age-ineligible to run for reelection at the ISU Congress in 2014, he asked that the ISU simply extend his term in office and that of other office holders by an additional two years, till 2016.....But at the ISU, as always, the members bowed to the chief and granted his wish......This action is in clear violation of ISU’s constitution and demonstrates the ISU members’ abject lack of shame and indifference to world opinion......Cinquanta has locked in sweeping new rules that changed the way the sport is both judged and performed. No one ever messed with figure skating in any way resembling the new judging system. The resulting plunge in the popularity and credibility of figure skating is becoming harder and harder to explain away. Cinquanta presides over a sport adrift and suicidal. With the passage of the Cinquanta Resolution, the ISU made sure skating remains mired in incompetence, indifference, and corruption. The impact of this action will be felt for at least the next two Olympic cycles and most likely far beyond. With a new president to be elected just two years before the 2018 Games instead of the normal four, it is highly unlikely anything will change until after his reelection that year. For a sport already spiraling into oblivion, this decision may just represent the kiss of death for figure skating. And why exactly is figure skating going the way of the dinosaurs? After all, during the 1990s it ranked as one of the most popular and lucrative sports in the world. But then came the infamous pairs scandal at the 2002 Games, which gave the ISU a pretext to turn figure skating completely on its head. The new judging system introduced by Cinquanta in 2004 delivered a near-mortal blow to skating. Not only did it strip figure skating of its artistry, but of its accountability as well. With secret judging and an impossibly convoluted point system that no one in the audience can understand, judges have more freedom then ever to do as they please. Everyone used to know what a perfect 6.0 meant. Now the equivalent may be a combined score of 187.9. Clear as mud.....Now, with sport largely ignored by the media, glaring judging bias in favor or against certain skaters goes under the media radar screen, with the results allowed to stand unchallenged. The most corrupt competition yet may have been this year’s world championships in Nice, France. Results in both the dance and men’s competitions had everyone up in arms. Following Patrick Chan’s indefensible win over Daisuke Takahashi, the audience erupted in spontaneous jeers – first when the result was announced and later on when the referee and technical controller were introduced during the award ceremony. No wonder “Chanflation” has become part of the common skating jargon thanks to the judges’ regular practice of awarding an extra 20 to 30 points to the Canadian champion merely for showing up. As Johnny Weir recently said, “Patrick Chan can fall down four times and still win by 30 points … No one has a fair shot if [he] is in the competition.” As for the dance, a Reuters report stated, “On Thursday, every man, woman and child sitting inside Nice’s Acropolis Arena thought the Americans [Merlyn Davis and Charlie White] won. That is, everyone except the experts who made up the judging panel.” The sentiment was shared by fans and the press worldwide. How ironic that supporters of the new judging system have always defended it for its presumed fairness. “Yes, maybe the sport is becoming more technical than artistic,” runs their argument, “but the point system makes it foolproof against corruption. Points don’t lie. Scores are ‘absolute.’ No more predetermined results.” Tell that to anyone who has watched competitions over the last few seasons. Figure skating today makes professional wrestling look like an honorable endeavor. And the two sports are just about as artistic much of the time. Slight exaggeration, but the creative flair that used to be the hallmark of figure skating is being discarded as unnecessary. The Cinquanta judging system generously rewards outright falls, but ignores everything that once made the sport beloved around the world: emotion, musicality, flow, positions that are held for more than a split second, and most of all, that intangible ability to move audiences to their feet. In short, the system measures everything but what Janet Lynn called “the ability to lift the human spirit.” The results (with a few notable exceptions) are cookie-cutter programs and a frantic style of skating that does little to enchant a crowd. Not surprisingly, fans are deserting the sport in droves, many competitions are held in nearly-empty arenas, shows fold right and left, the once-thriving professional scene is but a distant memory, and fewer young people are attracted to the sport. TV ratings have reached rock bottom and TV networks are not bothering to cover competitions any longer. Meanwhile the ISU pats itself on the back for a job well done and rewards Cinquanta with of two more years of the same. With this decision skating has lost its last shred of credibility.....RIP figure skating.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 06-30-2012 at 06:34 AM.

vCash
    Wow. This is really great.

vCash
    Everyone used to know what a perfect 6.0 meant
    I did? I wouldn't say ‘everyone’; I wish she explained to me why someone got a 5.7 vs. a 5.9 or a 6.0 for that matter. There were just as many people upset that skater A won over skater B. Talk about clear as mud.

Merlyn Davis

vCash
    This "article" is a joke.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    wow. I'm no fan of Speedy, but this chick is a credulous hack.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    As for the dance, a Reuters report stated, “On Thursday, every man, woman and child sitting inside Nice’s Acropolis Arena thought the Americans [Merlyn Davis and Charlie White] won. That is, everyone except the experts who made up the judging panel.” The sentiment was shared by fans and the press worldwide.
    MERLYN. Well, she does do magic out there. But uh. Do we really need another speeding pass down WUZROBBED highway?

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    nm
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    No kidding!
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Not an objective article. Blaming the IJS for the demise of shows is pretty simplistic when there are a number of other factors.

This "everyone understood 6.0" is just a crock.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    As the 2011-2012 figure skating season closed with one of the most scandal-ridden world championships in the sport’s history
    There were scandals and I missed them? I feel deprived.

The rest of it wasn't any better, and at times it was downright offensive. Merlyn Davis, ha, and she got other things wrong, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Yes I thought that too. She is pretty dumb if she thinks that was the scandal ridden event of all time.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Hmmm... the article gave the impression:
    1) She clearly HAATES Cinquanta.
    2) The 6.0 system is better.
    3) The judges are corrupt.
    4) You can fall four times and win by 30 points.
    5) Cinquanta killed figure skating.
    IMO... shrugs.... I like figure skating and will continue watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Exactly.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Paragraphs?

ETA: Ah I see in the linked article she actually does have them. Does that mean I have to read it now?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Hm.... How do you think, if Chan will be out of the podium at next year WCh and D-W will win all competitions in next and Olympic season, will Monica Friedlander LOVE Speedy and new system?
    Its look not like war against Speedy, but against Canadina skaters

vCash
    Reading this is like reading

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

The rest of it wasn't any better, and at times it was downright offensive. Merlyn Davis, ha, and she got other things wrong, too.
    Yes, I was wondering too.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Scandal was what made figure skating so popular in the 90's (Tonya/Nancy). On the pro side there was Usova/Platov vs. Grischuk/Zhulin. I don't think the general public cared about the scoring system; the common perception was it was all done by bloc voting, I think that is still the perception.

Other than Morozov what is there to talk about nowadays? Coach firings and platinum medals? That can't compete with sex and naked ambition for the public's attention.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 06-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.

vCash
    She is nuts; there was nothing scandalous about the wins by Chan and Virtue & Moir... While I do miss some things about 6.0, COP is a much better system to evaluate the skater's esp in terms of technical content, artistry will always be more subjective and thus prone to manipulation, as beauty is often in the eye and nationality of the beholder. There were blatant biases under 6.0, there are still some biases under cop, no system is perfect, but now at least skaters have a better idea of what they need to work on, and difficulty within a program now gets rewarded! I prefer COP, even if you see same elements over and over again, that is the choice of the skater's they can choose to train and skate for points to be competitive, or they can choose to simply entertain and be popular with fans, however the best skater's will manage to do both equally well, while being consistent during the entire competition, not just 1 part of it...
    Now while I am not a fan of speedy, and his ole boys club remaining in control, it is up to the people in the sport to stand up against those who use corruption, bribery; to stop folks going along just to get along, and to opt for better training and accountability for officials, until that happens, it won't matter what scoring system is being used, and/or who is running the show, abuse of power sometimes runs both from the bottom and from the top, and can be found from the prenovice comp at the local rink, to senior international ranks, etc.. Humans are flawed and figure skating is not up to a clock, it is up to all those involved, both expert and casual observers and getting everyone, esp those invested in the outcome, to agree on what happened and why will never be easy...

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Huh? One may not have fully agreed with some marks here and there, but I think this is the only person around who thought this worlds was in any way scandalous - and certainly not "one of the most scandal-ridden".

I mean, there wasn't a single tapping foot spotted anywhere, as far as I know.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast