Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    I turn off the men as well if they do it
    The men don't seem as bad (at least the matches I've watched) but it really drives me nuts
    I just use the mute button.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    First Youzhny, now Viktor Troicki
    Make the most of it - he won't be on there for long

Banned Member
    vCash
    Seriously, I would protest every point if I played against Azarenka. She's not grunting she's making loon mating calls. I totally get the scream when you put away a ball, but every shot? I would make it the longest match in Wimby history by going to the official after every point and say her noises are distracting and ugly. I wish someone would have the ovaries to do that.

It's not just a grunt or a scream at an important shot, it's a multiple second loon mating call that lasts until her opponent makes contact with the ball. She needs to be stopped.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Make the most of it - he won't be on there for long
    The (not-so-unpredictable) sadness.

vCash
    I love how he sticks his arse out as he's about to reach up for his serve

vCash
    Love Azarenka's return of serve. She takes it so early and can hit down the line seemingly effortlessly. Better than S. Williams's?

vCash
    I don't know about that (maybe, given Serena's somewhat less than stellar form so far), but it's definitely one of the best on tour, and the reason she's doing so well this year.

^So do I; she's actually an (underrated) pleasure to watch. She's aggressive without being wild, and suitably defensive without being dull and passive. She can absorb power so well, and return it with interest and her own fire. Plus she's such a good mover.
    Ditto. I really like her. She's actually quite competent at the net as well.

She comes across quite badly on court for some - all intensity and the grunting - but on her interviews and twitter, she's actually quite nice and funny. But I'm quite intense as well, so I like intensity in my players.

vCash
    ^They were saying on BBC last night that her attitude +plus her grunt turn people off, which is a shame because she's "very beautiful and very talented"... I think there might be some truth to that. I like her for this reason alone. I kinda like it when people just don't give a shit. LOL.

I have to work today so I'll be missing the first half of the day. Hopefully I'll be home in time for the all-German QF

My predictions:

Baker d. Kohli
    Murray d. Cilic
    Ferrer d. del Potro
    Mayer d. Gasquet
    Tsonga d. Fish

Aga d. Kirilenko
    Kvitova d. Serena
    Azarenka d. Paszek
    Kerber d. Lisicki

We shall see

vCash
    If they don't grunt in practice then why on earth do they have to grunt/scream on every. single. shot. in their matches?

And grunts i'm generally ok with but outright screaming which is what a lot of the ladies are doing just seems purposefully effected rather than a grunt which sounds more genuine.

vCash
    Well, Serena takes it. She played really well. Hard not to see her win this when she plays like this.

Petra

vCash
    Serena was impressive from what I saw - she reeeeally stepped it up by the looks of it. I picked PEtra, but it's great to see Serena in this kind of mood. Well done!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Well, Serena takes it. She played really well. Hard not to see her win this when she plays like this.

Petra
    Yeah, after some dodgy moments earlier in the tournament, Serena looked like she found her form today. I agree that she looks too strong to not be the far and away favorite for the tournament, although if Azarenka makes it through, it could be an interesting match between the two.

vCash
    ^They were saying on BBC last night that her attitude +plus her grunt turn people off, which is a shame because she's "very beautiful and very talented"... I think there might be some truth to that. I like her for this reason alone. I kinda like it when people just don't give a shit. LOL.
    I've always liked her game, her old mental attitude of being touchy and moody on the court. It would irritate me because she is so talented. Vika considered quitting tennis about a 1 year a half almost 2 years ago.

But I think Vika is just sick and tired of answering questions about her grunting/shrieking. I think the media have been harder on Vika than they are on Maria S or Serena(in regards to the grunting). She showed real resiliency at the Aussie Open when the crowd was mocking her. I didn't see the crowd mock Maria or Serena.

Vika is not letting much bother here, I think she's digging in and playing with even more determination.
    Last edited by topaz; 07-03-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Serena played fantastic. There were some good shot making the 2nd set.

Petra is sometimes a slow starter and it hurt her here. Also, Serena's serve was superb today. She serve/volleyed more and went to the net a little more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    If they don't grunt in practice then why on earth do they have to grunt/scream on every. single. shot. in their matches?

And grunts i'm generally ok with but outright screaming which is what a lot of the ladies are doing just seems purposefully effected rather than a grunt which sounds more genuine.
    Vika grunts in practice. However, I think some of the other players like Maria and Serena probably don't grunt in practice is due to several things. They aren't hitting the ball with all their might and the stress of playing of match. I've seen Maria not grunt on "slice" strokes. I've seen Maria and Serena grunt more in stressful times of the match(nerves) and when they are really putting on power and weight into their shots.

I don't think Maria and Vika grunting/shrieking is done on purpose, i.e. a gamesmanship issue. I do think Serena at times uses the grunts as an intimidation tool.

vCash
    Tsonga

Lisicki is all over the place today

And on a purely superficial note, I really like Kirilenko's dress.

vCash
    Tsonga is just

If only Sabine would be more consistent. When she's on, her game is divine.

I like Kirilenko's dress, too. Now, the shots of Alex Ovechkin, I could do without

vCash
    Tsonga

Lisicki is all over the place today

And on a purely superficial note, I really like Kirilenko's dress.
    Agree on Lisicki - but she has just broken back in the 2nd set - maybe she can get settled and make a match of this!!

Glad they have finally gotten all the mens matches sorted - though back to back days will be tough for some of them - especially Mayer who has to face Novak tomorrow. At least with all the other games they will have had the same amount of rest!!

vCash
    Both girls playing quite well now

vCash
    According to ESPN, Kerber beat Stosur at the 2011 US Open. Okay, then

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast