Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Thumbs down The lack of grace in floor exercise routines

An interesting read on the lack of grace/dance in today's gymnastic floor routines (lots of fun video clips in it, too!)

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...s_.single.html
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    From the article:

In the majority of routines, gymnasts are merely going through the motions, checking skills off their checklists and moving onto the next until the music stops.
    This describes what so many skaters do now, too.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    I agree. I saw Ksenia M. (I believe that's is her name) floor routine during team competition as well as one of her teammates and had to stop watching. It didn't seem like anything went with the music and they had no grace what so ever.

Mind you I stopped watching gymnastics after 2002 Olympics and was a lover of the Russian gymnast's grace (esp the ones who competed in Atlanta) but not anymore

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I hate that women's gymnastics uses music for floor routines. The men's routines are far more interesting because they're not trying to bring some twee version of artistry to it. They actually end up being far more artistic because they're not trying so hard.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I hate that women's gymnastics uses music for floor routines. The men's routines are far more interesting because they're not trying to bring some twee version of artistry to it. They actually end up being far more artistic because they're not trying so hard.
    I agree!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Blergh
    vCash
    I wish men had music too, but only if Floor Exercises were like the ones in the 80s where they actually had choreography.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    This describes what so many skaters do now, too.
    I will take a zillion Morozov programs over any floor exercise routine, man or woman.

I do disagree with the article's position that floor exercise was ever good.

Blergh
    vCash
    I don't know how one can watch a Soviet routine and not think it was at least good.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Heck yah!! I couldn't agree more.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Agreed.

I have never really associated gymnastics, men's or women's, with dance or artistry. It's about acrobatics. Nice lines and positions are good, but I don't expect choreography, relating to the music, presenting a story, etc...

JEWELS.
    vCash
    I thought the Polish woman today in the AA competition had some artistry/grace on floor.

Blergh
    vCash
    This thread depresses me.

vCash
    There is just barely any continuity of motion.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    I thought the Polish woman today in the AA competition had some artistry/grace on floor.
    Yeah too bad NBC didn't show it. The five they did showed didn't impress me.

Title-less
    vCash
    More than "grace" (whatever it is supposed to be) I miss that beautiful rhythm that used to exist with these gymnastic routines (esp beam), and the details to perfect every move, including what's in between the tricks (even the one step back getting ready to tumble). Now the routines are so long and hard; gymnasts are focused on their tricks and the gymnasts don't always pay attention to the little stuff between the big tricks.

Carly Patterson, even though she wasn't what I call graceful, had it. So did Liukin. I wish more gymnasts had that.

Blergh
    vCash
    Carly Patterson had it? Really?

Title-less
    vCash
    Not "grace", but she had a calming rhythm to what she did and a complete lack of whimpy moves and steps. Which was rather pleasant to watch, at least to me. Of course, I preferred Ponor, but I liked Carly too.

vCash
    Carly was nice on beam. Pretty average on everything else though.

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Not "grace", but she had a calming rhythm to what she did and a complete lack of whimpy moves and steps. Which was rather pleasant to watch, at least to me. Of course, I preferred Ponor, but I liked Carly too.
    I thought Patterson was dreadful of Floor exercise; no expression, plodding movement, no rhythm. She never worked down on the floor, and would miss every beat of music in what was a very pointed exercise. Her tumbling and leap sequences were well done, but it was always very clear that nobody really worked with her on choreography or paying attention to details.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Komova has gorgeous lines, but the music is still annoying in her floor routine. I don't think any gymnasts dance their routines, although Russians are better at it than most, but it's not artistic all the way through. It's still gymnastics - dance move - gymnastics - dance move - prancy bit that makes her look 6 - gymnastics - gymnastics. It's embarrassing, and I'd rather see a powerful performance on floor than one that pretends to be artistic.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast