Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I ♥ continental knitting, so much faster for me than the throwing style.

My new project: I started working on the duvet! Photo included

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post

Is there a trick to doing knit/purl ribbing without driving yourself nuts with continental knitting?

I mean, purling is bad enough with continental! I got my knit stitch pretty fast on it, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Is there a trick to doing knit/purl ribbing without driving yourself nuts with continental knitting?

I mean, purling is bad enough with continental! I got my knit stitch pretty fast on it, though.
    Practice, lots and lots of practice on scrap yarn. It took me days to figure out continental.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I was over at YouTube the other day looking up something at Red Heart's channel, when I noticed something called Catherine's Wheel in one of the side menus. It looked interesting, so downloaded the video and then clicked on the link to the pattern that was in the description. That ended up leading me to one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in crafting.

Has anyone else ever seen a crochet or knitting pattern written out in long form and not using the short form? Such as "Crochet three treble crochet into the fourth treble crochet on the pattern row beneath." Etc...etc...etc... At first I thought that was throwing me off, but after four more attempts, I realized it wasn't just that the pattern was written long form, but the pattern was off period!!

Off I went to Google and found another pattern and *this time* it's working perfectly. It's a sort of a variation on a Granny Square, but not.

Bold and Beautiful Catherine's Wheel Crochet Throw

It's pretty easy now that I've got a handle on it and would be perfect for a scrap blanket project thing.

vCash
    Very pretty!

vCash
    Practice, lots and lots of practice on scrap yarn. It took me days to figure out continental.
    LOL yeah I had less than one day, so I made do. Definitely goes faster than the throwing technique though!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I just learned continental this year, but I can't purl with it. I use the Portuguese method for purling, with a knitting pin, since it's too hot to run yarn around the back of my neck.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    I attended a meet-up in NYC today that was organized by a guy who has a sewing blog and lives near the garment district.
    When I am browsing there on my own, I have no trouble going home and thinking it over and coming back another day if I liked a particular fabric. It's not like they are going to sell out if I don't buy it then and there. Alas, I discovered I have zero discipline when shopping in a crowd.
    I bought: some cotton velvet (to make a muffin hat; I'm going to a Renaissance fair soon and need a hat to match my lady-of-the-manor dress) a gorgeous navy brocade with bits of dark orange to make a sexy pencil skirt (I can wear it to the ballet, I suppose) 2 different print lawns (will end up as blouses) and 2 different knit jersey prints (I'm trying to get to grips with sewing stretch fabrics)
    I will regret this when I get my credit card bill.
    Ooooh....As I've mentioned, I'm into LOTR and also Renaissance/Tudor era stuff and have made (w/help) my own LOTR costume. Also that I make Circlets and Tiaras for both. Would love to see a picture of your dress and hat once you've gotten it finished Marge.

Pretty please?

vCash
    I just stumbled across this over at Craftfaves.com...

Craftfaves ~ Smurf Hat

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Am doing wedding stuff now - doilies! I bought a giant lot of crochet thread on ebay and I'm jumping in, even though I've never made a doily before. I told my mom most of that lot was size 30 thread and she looked at me like I was insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Am doing wedding stuff now - doilies! I bought a giant lot of crochet thread on ebay and I'm jumping in, even though I've never made a doily before. I told my mom most of that lot was size 30 thread and she looked at me like I was insane.
    Just reading "crochet thread" made me go blind, lol. OMG, that's a challenge! I'm just not patient enough for that.

vCash
    combining royalty and knitting in one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-display.html

vCash
    Just reading "crochet thread" made me go blind, lol. OMG, that's a challenge! I'm just not patient enough for that.
    There were a few balls of size 10 thread, and making a 8-in doily actually doesn't take too long at all. Only two days, and that's with me running around having to do stuff too. Even I was surprised.

It'll probably be a different story with the size 30 spools.

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    When I was a kid and used to crochet more I did nearly all of it in thread, and struggled with yarn as I found it so much easier to see where to put my hook with smooth thread. And I'm talking 80 and 100 thread here. So it's never held any fear for me. The good thing about yarn, though, is I get to use bamboo hooks - I always take the finish off metal hooks in no time, I don't know if I have particularly acid sweat or what!

I finished knitting that shawl weeks ago but I still haven't got round to blocking it I really must...

Just this evening finished the first of yet another pair of socks. The other ones I talked about before, with a slight mistake, did indeed fit fit despite it. Also bought yarn today for charity knitting, blankets for premature babies.
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    I finished knitting that shawl weeks ago but I still haven't got round to blocking it I really must...
    Pictures, please!

vCash

A word on the throwing style: if by throwing, you mean dropping your right-hand needle and actually using your then free hand to throw the yarn over the needle, yes it takes time. However, I long ago learned how to control my yarn tension with my right hand and all I have to do is flick with my right index finger. This goes fairly quickly and no throwing is involved.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm not sure if this is considered a variation on Continental -- I found at least five variations on YouTube when I tried to learn a few months ago -- or an opposite hand variation on Potuguese.

I had never heard of Portuguese-style knitting until I saw it described in a Knitting Daily email. The standard Portuguese uses the left thumb to flick the yarn over the needle and off. I used to hate to purl until I read this, and now Portugese purl is my favorite stitch. (I invested in the $5 pin because it was too hot to go around the neck in summer.) I haven't used it or continental for back-and-forth patterns like seeds -- using one for knit and the other for purl would take more time than throwing, but yo's and p2togs are easy in Portuguese, and the occasional knit, like a 3-5 stitch edge, is okay. The woman who did the instructional vid said it was her preference, too, and that now, she purls the reverse side in the round, which I'm planning to try this Fall for some sleeves.

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I'm *finally* blocking that shawl so was able to get a photo. You can't really see the colours, need some sunshine for that! It definitely doesn't have the odd greenish tinge the photo does
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's beautiful, Jodi!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast