Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Almost finished knitting the black sparkle purse!
    That is adorable! I would love to make that and use it as a makeup bag. Do you have a pattern? And where did you find the yarn? This would be a nice little challenge for me. I am not a novice but definitely not a pro and want to improve my skills.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Yes, myhoneyhoney, what kind of yarn is that? I could crochet a bag like that. And will it have some sort of closure?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    Haiti by Hand needs homemade, elastic waist skirts for little girls. I'm sure some of the crafty people here can whip up a skirt or two.
    Info here:

http://haitibyhand.typepad.com/
    Will tell Mom to give the heads up about this at Church on Sunday. I'm sure there are some ladies who would love to help out w/this and use up some of their fabric stashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Those are super-cute and look like a great way to use up some leftover yarn!
    Well, w/the Gowns and Caps it depends on the size. That's the smallest size and you only need one skein to make them w/. The other two sizes OTOH, it's safe to have two on hand I've discovered.

As for the Bunting, you can make them as large or as small as you'd like, but the instructions I have says not to make them any smaller than a 10 row granny square. I've never thought to make them out of scraps, but as they're basically just one granny square w/a half granny square to make up the "pocket" of the bunting and then the border is whatever border you'd like to put on it. I prefer the shells, as it just gives it a nice looks when gathered up, but it's up to whatever is the choice of the crocheter, so you could change up the colour too, as long as it looked nice w/the colour/colours used.

I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time I have a bit of a cache of heavier weighted baby yarn left over from various stuff and I have no idea what to do w/. Thanks!!

vCash
    Hi everyone! Let's see, I made up the pattern using the Diamond Eyelet pattern in Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting. I used Vanna's Glamour yarn doubled to make it sturdier.

It's pretty simple, knitting a rectangle bottom, picked up stitches along the rectangle sides and started knitting the pattern in the round. I'm thinking of putting in simple plastic canvas for shaping, lining the outside that will show through the eyelets. I also need to sew a lining for it. As for the closing, I'm thinking a plain snap magnet and then maybe a nice BIG antique silver button or a pretty brooch I can pin on as an accent. I'd like a zipper but I don't want it to be seen and I'm just not experienced with sewing zippers so the magnetic snap might have to suffice.

BTW, I used knit for preemies and give them to Lucille Packard in Stanford and UCSF nicu. If you're planning on doing this most hospitals prefer thin yarns (think no thicker than sport weight) and it must be machine washable in hot water. I'm not sure if this is with all hospitals but both L.P. and UCSF have advised me to use cotton or acrylic and NO wool/animal fiber of any kind.
    Last edited by myhoneyhoney; 07-13-2012 at 03:28 AM.

vCash
    Hi everyone! Let's see, I made up the pattern using the Diamond Eyelet pattern in Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting. I used Vanna's Glamour yarn doubled to make it sturdier.

It's pretty simple, knitting a rectangle bottom, picked up stitches along the rectangle sides and started knitting the pattern in the round. I'm thinking of putting in simple plastic canvas for shaping, lining the outside that will show through the eyelets. I also need to sew a lining for it. As for the closing, I'm thinking a plain snap magnet and then maybe a nice BIG antique silver button or a pretty brooch I can pin on as an accent. I'd like a zipper but I don't want it to be seen and I'm just not experienced with sewing zippers so the magnetic snap might have to suffice.

BTW, I used knit for preemies and give them to Lucille Packard in Stanford and UCSF nicu. If you're planning on doing this most hospitals prefer thin yarns (think no thicker than sport weight) and it must be machine washable in hot water. I'm not sure if this is with all hospitals but both L.P. and UCSF have advised me to use cotton or acrylic and NO wool/animal fiber of any kind.
    Have you ever worked with purse frames? I want to, peyote stitch, bead a bag, like this: http://www.suzannecooper.com/then-again/newbook.html

vCash
    I've been looking at purse frames, it would work with the purse but for some reason, purse frames intimidate me, lol. I should buy a small cheap one just to try it out. The youtube tutorials make it seem easy enough but remember, I'm the one who refused to learn to knit for years because the thought of using two needles scared me.

vCash
    I've been looking at purse frames, it would work with the purse but for some reason, purse frames intimidate me, lol. I should buy a small cheap one just to try it out. The youtube tutorials make it seem easy enough but remember, I'm the one who refused to learn to knit for years because the thought of using two needles scared me.
    They intimidate me, too. I was hoping you would tell me that they were a piece of cake .

I'm also thinking that if I make a bag, I might do it on a bead loom. Peyote takes much longer and it's harder to hold, but you do have more stitch control. Also thinking that I might just bead one side, and leave the back fabric. Knowing myself, if I bead the whole thing i'll be 80 by the time I finish it

vCash
    That's true for the clothing and including the Burial Gowns and Caps. For the blankets and Buntings though, the heavier weight of baby yarn is fine. So long as it is Baby Yarn and super soft, they want the heavier weight of yarn for that stuff.

At least my local hospital/NICU and our Project Preemie and Linus chapters have no problems w/that when it comes to the Blankets and Buntings.

vCash
    I've been lurking on this thread with nothing to add as I only wish I could knit/crochet

But I do craft jewelry, and today I opened my Etsy shop. Right now it's just modern painted wood earrings, but I'm planning on some necklaces and bracelets soon. Thanks for looking!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/paragraphloop

(yes, I named my shop after the compulsory figure )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I've been lurking on this thread with nothing to add as I only wish I could knit/crochet

But I do craft jewelry, and today I opened my Etsy shop. Right now it's just modern painted wood earrings, but I'm planning on some necklaces and bracelets soon. Thanks for looking!

Very cool earrings!

INTJ
    vCash
    I love them, vesperholly! And the name too

You might just have a sale soon...
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I love them, vesperholly! And the name too

You might just have a sale soon...
    Thank you!!

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I'm working on this shawl, I'm halfway through the lower lace section at the moment and it's super quick and easy so far! A very fun knit. I had a skein of yarn that I couldn't face making into socks because it's so beautiful, dusky muted purples with the merest breath of silver sparkle, so this seemed perfect

I haaate blocking. I keep putting off washing another shawl that could probably do with it by now because I'm dreading blocking it My flat is so tiny it's very difficult just to find enough space to do it! I really want to invest in some blocking wires sometime in the hope that will at least make it a little bit less labour-intensive.

I mostly knit socks. I really have a *lot* for myself now so have moved on to mostly knitting ones for my boyfriend. And it's cute how much he appreciates them I'm stuck in the middle of a pair at the moment as I made a mistake and haven't had the brain to sort it out yet. I'm on the second of a pair, just turned the heel, and have realised that on the first one of the pair I went into automatic mode and knitted the heel flap to the length for my foot, which is 4 rows longer than for his I wondered why I had to pick up an extra stitch on each side as I just couldn't make the normal number stretch out far enough! I'm *hoping* it will be fine and not affect the fit too much - well, really, rationally I think it will, but I'm a worrier - but I've got to take back this second heel, done to the pattern, and knit those extra four rows to make it match. Sigh. Not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I daren't make a start until I've got enough concentration available to be sure I'm not going to make matters worse! And until I can get it sorted I don't have any mindless knitting on the go for when I'm reading stuff on the computer, which irritates me and my aching-to-be-occupied hands greatly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I'm working on this shawl, I'm halfway through the lower lace section at the moment and it's super quick and easy so far! A very fun knit. I had a skein of yarn that I couldn't face making into socks because it's so beautiful, dusky muted purples with the merest breath of silver sparkle, so this seemed perfect
    It's lovely!

I've saved the pattern.
    Thanks for sharing.

vCash
    Very cool, Jodi! The color sounds divine. I love purple.

I got my first sale from a total stranger on Etsy today!!

vCash

Congratulations!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

vCash
    I tried posting in here last night, but for some reason wasn't able to do so. Anyway...

Those are lovely vesperholly and I love the name you picked for your Jewelry line. Congratulations on your first sale!!

Well, I had to go into town for both refills of prescriptions and to get some groceries. While in town, I bopped into what's our little bit of everything store in a small town because I needed more baby yarn and...

I swear I was fine until I turned the corner and....They started screaming "Buy me...Buy me...I'll make a gorgeous baby hat...I'll make a lovely scarf....Take me!!!"

Sadly, I had as much will power as I do around Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake and...

Three skiens of the Red Heart Sashsay. Two in the blue variagated and one in the beigey browns. One of the Ribbon yarn. Then two skiens each of three different patterned yarn of the Bernat Baby Jacquard baby yarn.

Also needed to pick up some new needles, so got those too.

Sigh...Thankfully, Mom's not home this week, so I have plenty of time to get all of that mixed in w/the rest of the stash.

vCash
    That shawl looks gorgeous Jodi - please post a pic of your purple one when it is done.

vCash
    Yay! A crafting thread! I just finished crocheting a baby blanket and now I'm doing a Mr.Tumnus scarf on a knitting loom..I'll be donating that to be sold through Common Thread for charity.I also have some soap holder rags to finish for my kiddos then I need to get to work on some charity stuff. Then I have a blanket i need to finish that I've worked on for a looooooong time(it's huge) and I'd like to attempt to knit a shrug on the knitting loom. Mainly I am just determined to knit/crochet/loom through my yarn stash so I can get to all the fabric I have stored.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I tried posting in here last night, but for some reason wasn't able to do so. Anyway...

I swear I was fine until I turned the corner and....They started screaming "Buy me...Buy me...I'll make a gorgeous baby hat...I'll make a lovely scarf....Take me!!!"

Sadly, I had as much will power as I do around Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake and...

Three skiens of the Red Heart Sashsay. Two in the blue variagated and one in the beigey browns. One of the Ribbon yarn. Then two skiens each of three different patterned yarn of the Bernat Baby Jacquard baby yarn.

Also needed to pick up some new needles, so got those too.

Sigh...Thankfully, Mom's not home this week, so I have plenty of time to get all of that mixed in w/the rest of the stash.
    My best friend found $6.99 yarn for $1.99 at Hobby Lobby last week...i just about died.*sigh*

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Cool!

I have an etsy but I haven't posted anything in eons.Been too busy with kids and charity knitting/crocheting.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast