Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Myhoneyhoney, you have 4 kids?! I thought you looked fabulous before, now I'm blown away!
    Thank you, Cruisin... blush... and yup, 4 kiddies. Hubby and I were about 23 when our oldest was born 13 years ago. Our "baby" is 7.

As for knitting and crochet, I do both. I learned to crochet as a little girl and didn't learn to knit until about 6-7 years ago when I finally got over my fear of using TWO needles. Silly I know. I like both and sometimes use both on a single project. I encourage anyone wanting to learn knitting to browse youtube and knittinghelp.com. This is how I learned to knit first using the english style and now I knit purely continental style.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    So I pop over to Red Heart's site to find a link to share here to that lace to make those scarves and this was on the front page of their Freebie Patterns page. My fellow Crocheters, don't lynch me for this, as I now have *another* new pattern in my stash.

It's too freaking adorable to not want to make.

Red Heart Yarns ~ Beach Bear Rita

Just finished knitting the hat of that set and discovered I don't have the right size of needles for the booties. So this one set will have to be sans booties I'm afraid.

edited to add...Ah HA!! Finally found the instructions for that scarf!!

Red Heart Yarn ~ Flirty Knit Scarf Knitting Pattern

And the lace ribbon yarn used...

Red Heart Yarn Boutique Sashay

BTW...The one I made myself, I used the one called Salsa, as the Cinnamon/Brick reds *really* look good on me. Mom OTOH, picked out for herself the one called Ballet. It would have been one thing if it had been all pinks, but that grey in w/it to me just looks jarring. It was the one she wanted though, so what else could I do but knit the thing, right?

If you go past the part where they show all of the colour combinations this comes in, there are both Knitting and Crocheting instructions YouTube videos for this yarn.

Anyway, there's where I learned how to knit these scarves. What would we do w/out YouTube when it comes to how to knit and/or crochet, I don't want to think about it.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 07-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Nobody's ever tried to teach me to crochet.....my grandmother used to do it, but I guess teaching me was never a priority. I'd be willing to try. But I'm warning ya....if I can't knit, I doubt I'd pick up crochet either. Are they alike?
    I find crocheting to be very easy, but I learned from my grandmother, when I was 6.

The sashay crocheted scarf looks fairly easy, just hard to hold onto. Because it gets bulky. It's like peyote stitch (beading), very hard to get it started,but once you get past the first two rows, it falls into place.

vCash
    Wheee, that bear is adorable! I ♥ knitted toys. I knitted this elephant toy and I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of it.

That scarf look perfect for fall/winter. Gosh, I might have another project to add to my queue.

ETA: You guys have me looking at scarf patterns now. I want to try knitting this. I'm really starting to like lace knitting.
    Last edited by myhoneyhoney; 07-02-2012 at 04:38 AM.

vCash
    Right now I'm cross-stitching a piece for my niece's christening. I chose a sepia-coloured pattern. Here is is:

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/T...5-prd-224.aspx

It had been a few years since I'd done cross-stitch, but I'm dismayed at how much my mid-forties eyes have deteriorated. If I want to continue to stitch, I'll have to get one of those magnifying stands.

Another project I have on hold, but I'm hoping to resurrect soon, is a bunka punch. I purchased it in Australia more than ten years ago, and did some work on it. I'd like to finish it soon.

Here's a link to the pattern I'm working on:

http://www.klema.com.au/austcart/a401.jpg
    With glowing hearts / Des plus brillants exploits.

vCash
    ^^ Beautiful. I used to do counted cross stitch when I was working in NYC. I had a long commute and it was something to do on the train. I haven't done it since I stopped working in NY. I should go back to it.

I don't have photos, but I made my Godchild's Christening gown (the very long kind). It had a full length slip with embroidered lace at the bottom. Then the dress had a scalloped hem to let the lace peek through. Then I did a scalloped collar that had shadow embroidery on it. Shadow embroidery is when you use sheer, white fabric and sandwich colored fabric between it and then embroider around the shapes. I used white organza and pale pink shapes. It was so pretty. I made a traditional cap too. I wish I did have photos.

vCash
    I'm sure the parents would have photos somewhere. The gown sounds lovely.

BTW I don't know how you managed to focus on cross stitch on a train

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    I'm sure the parents would have photos somewhere. The gown sounds lovely.
    They can't find them. The parents are divorced and lots of things are "missing".

BTW I don't know how you managed to focus on cross stitch on a train
    I was in my 20s. I couldn't do it now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    My fellow Crocheters, don't lynch me for this, as I now have *another* new pattern in my stash.

It's too freaking adorable to not want to make.
    Aw cute

They can't find them. The parents are divorced and lots of things are "missing".
    Ah. That's a shame.

I was in my 20s. I couldn't do it now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    edited to add...Ah HA!! Finally found the instructions for that scarf!!

Red Heart Yarn ~ Flirty Knit Scarf Knitting Pattern

And the lace ribbon yarn used...

Red Heart Yarn Boutique Sashay
    Aragorn, rarely have I ever whipped out my credit card so quickly. Five minutes after I go to the red Heart website, I've bought 9 (9!!) balls of yarn. OTOH, those make for inexpensive Christmas gifts.

Thanks for sharing. But now will you send a note to my husband to explain why I HAD to have that yarn?
    With glowing hearts / Des plus brillants exploits.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    ^^ I don't have photos, but I made my Godchild's Christening gown (the very long kind). It had a full length slip with embroidered lace at the bottom. Then the dress had a scalloped hem to let the lace peek through. Then I did a scalloped collar that had shadow embroidery on it. Shadow embroidery is when you use sheer, white fabric and sandwich colored fabric between it and then embroider around the shapes. I used white organza and pale pink shapes. It was so pretty. I made a traditional cap too. I wish I did have photos.
    I would love to see this. I made a pillow for my Goddaughter (I was actually her fairy godmother since I wasn't Russian Orthodox, but I loved her just the same..) It was peach satin and I embroidered violets on it because her name was Anna, which I was told was a nickname for violets in Russian. "Little Anna's Bright Eyes." I know it was appreciated, but by the time she was 13 it was sitting in the closet on a shelf...

vCash
    I have crafting in my blood. Sewing's my earliest one - I was improvising my own hand-sewn doll clothes in elementary school, and had my own sewing machine and was making my own dresses by junior high. Those were the golden days of home sewing! Yes, so many fabric shops (not to mention the days of a fabric department in most department stores) have bit the dust. I adore looking at the vintage pattern wiki site. Sewing may be ripe for an eventual comeback, as knitting, and to a lesser degree, crocheting, have had.

I learned to knit and crochet in my teens but didn't go too far with it. I did a good deal of macrame back then, but mostly was a sewer. Now that my aunts who knitted and crocheted a lot have passed on, and I inherited some of their needles and hooks, and some also from my Norwegian grandmother, I've gotten more serious about using them. First I did mostly crocheted hats and scarves. Now I'm chair of a prayer shawl group at my church. I alternate between knitting and crocheting. I like crochet better because it works up faster and you can't drop stitches!

For those who want to learn, I think the best books are Stitch 'n Bitch Nation and The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. Try your local library if you are hesitant about investing in a book.

Right now I have a few things going at once for myself, the most ambitious of which is this: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pa...d=1186&lang=us
    I totally love circular needles and the Norwegian (continental) knit stitch now! I'm treading slowly into the scary waters of stranded patterns and steeks! Originally I had hoped to finish this jacket for a cruise DH and I will be taking along the coast of Norway, but now I think I'll be doing a lot of work on it during the cruise. Guess I am drawn by the spirits of my grandmother and aunts to all this!

vCash
    ^^ That is ambitious! And fabulous! I hope we will get to see it when you're done with it.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    Aragorn, rarely have I ever whipped out my credit card so quickly. Five minutes after I go to the red Heart website, I've bought 9 (9!!) balls of yarn. OTOH, those make for inexpensive Christmas gifts.

Thanks for sharing. But now will you send a note to my husband to explain why I HAD to have that yarn?
    LOL!! I'll do it as long as you send one to my Mom to explain to her why there's going to be at least six skeins of all purpose yarn that'll be coming into this house after my Monthly Blood Work visit later this week. Interweave Crochet had the pattern for a double breasted cloak w/collar in last Summer's issue and I've been dying to give it a go.

All I need to do now is decide on which colour to do it in.

Oh and I finally have a picture of my almost one month old Great Nephew Parker's Mile A Minute afghan that I made him. My Sister and Brother In Law were here yesterday and she dropped off the album that she and my Niece Lisa made up for us. There were two pictures of the afghan in it, one for the album and one for me, and I was going to scan it today, but time got away on me.

Oh, did I mention Parker's wrapped up in it? Not that I'm sharing the picture for that reason. The main thing is to show off the afghan after all.

One thing that's driving me bonkers though? The multicoloured yarn I used for the inner strip and the border around the entire thing, looks so pale. Especially against the white I used for the contrast. Now this blankie was crocheted, but I still have about two skeins and a small ball left over from the last skein used on it, left of it. So I've been using that small leftover ball to make up Preemie hats using a pattern I found over at Bev's Country Cottage called Eeenie, Meenie, Minee and Moe. Those are knitted in the round and...

My Sister didn't believe me yesterday when I told her it was the same yarn when I showed her my latest Preemie stuff I've made. The hats are a bit brighter than the respective parts of the blankie, but the only difference is one was crocheted and the other knit!!

Figure that one out!!

vCash
    Finished another project... two years in the making. Yeesh, lol. The scarf turned shrug.

Oh, how I wish I can buy more yarn but hubby's forbid me. I need to use up what I have completely before I'm free to fondle and purchase. Boooooo

vCash
    I love this!
    Could you share the pattern?

I need to use up what I have completely before I'm free to fondle and purchase.
    How large is your "stockpile"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Finished another project... two years in the making. Yeesh, lol. The scarf turned shrug.

Oh, how I wish I can buy more yarn but hubby's forbid me. I need to use up what I have completely before I'm free to fondle and purchase. Boooooo
    Very pretty!

vCash
    I am the least crafty person I know. (My mom finally gave up with the craft kits as gifts after I never opened the Bonsai tree kit that was only supposed to take 3 minutes a week.)

Anyway, in clearing out MIL's house we found dressers full (literally) of embroidered, cross-stitched, tatted, crocheted, and handmade lace textiles Mr. Barbk's grandma apparently did for many, many, many years. There are a few tablecloths we'll keep, and a few other things, but I simply do not need four huge boxes of handworked goods. (Aprons, tea towels, dresser scarves, handkerchiefs, pillowcases, bed coverlets,...)

Any suggestions for disposition?

(And speaking of MIL -- why in the world would anyone have 62 tablecloths?)

vCash
    eBay?
    Many people collect handwork; especially tablecloths, coverlets, and larger pieces.

vCash
    Skatesindreams, the original pattern I used has been taken down by the pattern owner but it's very similar to this shawl, just not as many repeats. Ravelry page of original pattern that I used. As for the stash, I have about 20 skeins, most have at least 2 of the same. I guess I better start cranking out scarves to give out for Christmas, lol

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast