vCash

Question re Etiquette on LinkedIn

I'm on LinkedIn but mostly just to have my name and profile "out there" and to keep in touch with business acquaintances - I'm not actively seeking a job or anything else.

I got a invitation to connect from someone who works at my company but who I've never met in person or ever had any interactions with. I suspect he may have just searched for people listing the company as their employer and sent invitations to everyone whose name came up in the search.

For those of you with more LinkedIn experience than I have - is this an unusual request? And is it common to accept a request from someone who you have something in common with but who you've never met?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I view linkedin differently than facebook. My facebook is as locked down as possible whereas my linkedin profile is more visible. I accept mainly to increase the network and the chance a recruiter might find me (a few have). The only ones I don't accept are people who are clearly thought leader spammers, really random people (don't know, not in same industry) or a colleague/classmate who was clearly so incompetent when I worked with them that I don't want to have to vouch for his/her capabilities if a mutual connection asks me.
    Last edited by Yehudi; 10-18-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'm on LinkedIn but mostly just to have my name and profile "out there" and to keep in touch with business acquaintances - I'm not actively seeking a job or anything else.

I got a invitation to connect from someone who works at my company but who I've never met in person or ever had any interactions with. I suspect he may have just searched for people listing the company as their employer and sent invitations to everyone whose name came up in the search.

For those of you with more LinkedIn experience than I have - is this an unusual request? And is it common to accept a request from someone who you have something in common with but who you've never met?
    It's not that unusual, no. Especially if they do have a connection with you.

Although I only connect with people I've met in person in a professional setting, and I've heard that some are even more careful and only connect with people they'd personally recommend. It's up to you.

vCash
    I connect with everyone in my company with few exceptions. I will "forget to act" on invitations from known idiots. For folks outside my company, I'm fairly selective and only accept invitations from folks I know well enough to know their work reputations.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I get LinkedIn requests from people I have no idea how they found me. I think some people just Link with anyone at all- maybe thinking if they are looking for a job later it will be a good connection to have. Like a roledex of business cards from people you ran into at a conference, but have no actual connection to? So with that in mind, I'd have no problem linking to someone who actually worked at my company (though I personally deny totally random requests.)

At least in my field, I think LinkedIn isn't very useful. I've gotten emails from headhunters and they've all found me from actual contacts, not through LinkedIn. But then, after the initial contact, they always add me to their LinkedIn.

I think the sight is a bit ridiculous though I'm linked to my skating coach, who asked me to post a review of him, so he can use it for future skaters. I did. Then he endorsed me for "proofreading". I've never proofread anything for him, though my job does require that skill. My brother in law, who I've never had professional contact with has endorsed me for 'editing'. It's just so random. I barely use the site, though last time I was job searching did make sure my resume was updated just in case.

vCash
    I dislike Linked-In. I suppose if I was actively seeking a job, it might be different, but in my experience it is pretty stupid the way it is set up. It is somewhat built on the 6 degrees of separation format. The more people you know, the more they know, the more you know together. The newest feature where you can "recommend" someone's skill set, when most of those recommending that skill set probably only know me as _____ not the professional. So how does that help with job search - a bunch of people who may or may not know me, suggesting a skill set that I may or may not have

Currently, I get updates on someone I might know and he has added new skill sets of _______, ________, and ________. one of which I totally do not think he has, yet there would be no place to say - this skill, uh yeah no. I have at least 3 invites of people I have no idea who they are and no real idea of how my name came up on their "people they may know" - one is a nurse who attended one of the colleges that I attended, but is younger than my youngest son, another one is from a pastor who I might have attended a conference with. But neither would be helpful to me in any kind of job search.

And yesterday, it recommended to my brother that he might want to link-in with his wife as she is linked-in with a member of an organization that he is. 3rd degree of separation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post

No, not unusual at all. Many people use Linkedin to connect with potential clients or simply to expand their network. Often that does involve dropping a hello to a complete stranger.