vCash

Is there no Right way or Wrong way to Ice-Dance?

Say,that question came to me while Skating at Public Skate a few Days ago. As there were Skaters practicing Dance moves on the ice with us. Anyway,am I right at saying that there IS no Right or wrong way to Ice-Dance? Inwhich case,as LONG as you DANCE in SOME way on Ice...your Ice-Dancing? Even though your not using actual Ice-Dance moves (even with a Partner). Or do you HAVE to BE using REAL Ice-Dance moves for it to ACTUALLY be CALLED Ice-Dancing? Does anyone know?

vCash
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking. But if I'm answering the right question, yes, you are only considered to be ice dancing if you are doing an actual dance, or parts of a dance.

There are a lot of steps in ice dances that are used in singles and pairs, mostly in the footwork sequences or the connecting steps between elements. But if you were doing ice dance steps as part of a singles or pairs program, you would not be doing ice dance - you would still be doing singles or pairs skating.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking. But if I'm answering the right question, yes, you are only considered to be ice dancing if you are doing an actual dance, or parts of a dance.

There are a lot of steps in ice dances that are used in singles and pairs, mostly in the footwork sequences or the connecting steps between elements. But if you were doing ice dance steps as part of a singles or pairs program, you would not be doing ice dance - you would still be doing singles or pairs skating.
    So,just because I'm Dancing in some way on ice doesn't mean I'm Ice-Dancing?

vCash
    The compulsory dances have certain steps that have to be done on the right edges and the right counts of the music and follow a certain pattern. They are very specific. So if you don't know those steps, you're not doing that dance.

There is such a thing as free dance, but beginners start with the compulsory dances so they can learn the steps and holds.

You may be dancing on the ice, but you're probably not doing an official ice dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    So,just because I'm Dancing in some way on ice doesn't mean I'm Ice-Dancing?
    If I am in a public session, I can get there and shake booty and move to the music, but that is not ice dancing.

If there was a piece of music on that I did a compulsory dance pattern to in a public session, then I am ice dancing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Say,that question came to me while Skating at Public Skate a few Days ago. As there were Skaters practicing Dance moves on the ice with us. Anyway,am I right at saying that there IS no Right or wrong way to Ice-Dance? Inwhich case,as LONG as you DANCE in SOME way on Ice...your Ice-Dancing? Even though your not using actual Ice-Dance moves (even with a Partner). Or do you HAVE to BE using REAL Ice-Dance moves for it to ACTUALLY be CALLED Ice-Dancing? Does anyone know?
    Did those skaters feel that they had the right-of-way because they were doing legitimate dances? On a public session no one in particular has the right-of-way. On a dance session, working on a real dance would give them the right-of-way over someone just making stuff up.