Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Newsroom

vCash
    HBO? not worth the $

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icecat View Post
    HBO? not worth the $
    I think HBO is totally worth the dollars. I watch several original series and some movies.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    I think HBO is totally worth the dollars. I watch several original series and some movies.
    Me too. I think I've had HBO since 1980. Love my HBO and Showtime. Some of the best shows on TV.

vCash
    I got HBO a few years ago as part of a package when I needed to get Universal Sports to watch skating.

Now US is no longer available to me , but meanwhile I have gotten hooked on HBO. Couldn't afford to get Showtime as well, but I catch up on a few of their shows after the fact via Netflix.

The acting and production quality of much of what's on broadcast TV is painful to me after having watched very little TV at all (besides skating) for a number of years and then mostly cable shows that put more time into each episode.

Anyway, I can foresee some problems with this show but there are also things I like about it, so I'm in for the season.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Years ago, only 1 HBO and 1 Showtime were available. Now when you order HBO and Showtime, you get multiple channels for the same price. (On satellite)

Now when you order HBO, you get 8 channels. HBO-E, HBO2E, HBOSG, HBO-W, HBO2W, HBOFM, HBOCY, HBOLT.

When you order Showtime, you get 6 channels. SHO-E, SHO-W, SHOTO, SHOCS, SHOEX, SBYND.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Their best stuff usually ends up on cable eventually - I can wait.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I actually resubscribed to HBO in large part because of this show (among other things). I was happy with the pilot and look forward to more.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Meant to say earlier: I think it was smart to set the timeline for this as 2010 (or at least starting there). Lets them use real news stories as they really happened, like they did for the pilot, but I would imagine they'll use "fake" stories too as the series develops -- but without being not-current. One of the biggest oddities in The West Wing was being about "real world" politics but against the alternate-reality backdrop, esp. post-911.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Meant to say earlier: I think it was smart to set the timeline for this as 2010 (or at least starting there). Lets them use real news stories as they really happened, like they did for the pilot, but I would imagine they'll use "fake" stories too as the series develops -- but without being not-current.
    HBO on Demand runs all these little features pertaining to its shows. I seem to recall seeing on after episode one that said they will focus on real news stories.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    So after watching episode 2, I'm noticing now Sorkin repeats himself not just in the broad strokes and characterizations, but in the tiny dialogue details as well. In the opening run-down meeting, the phrases "Muhammed al Muhammed al Muhammed al Bazir" and "were you distracted by a bumble-bee?" were used, both of which I recognized from The West Wing.

I am finding it grating in places ... but still entertaining enough to keep going. For now at least. I'll be interested to see how they develop Olivia Munn's character (I've only ever seen her in The Daily Show). And I continue to love Sam Waterston as "the white Robert Guillaume."

vCash
    I wasn't nearly as impressed by the second episode as I was by the first.

vCash
    There is enough going on politically without getting it from your "entertainment"stations..
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/hbo-now-tar...223010108.html
    HBO? not worth the $
    For me the last straw was putting the mock up of President Bush's head on a stake...just imagine if that was our current president's head...it would have been on the front page of every newspaper ( what's left of them) and headlining every news show...but only because it would have been racist, not political. Of course, this was neither..right?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icecat View Post
    There is enough going on politically without getting it from your "entertainment"stations..
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/hbo-now-tar...223010108.html
    HBO? not worth the $
    For me the last straw was putting the mock up of President Bush's head on a stake...just imagine if that was our current president's head...it would have been on the front page of every newspaper ( what's left of them) and headlining every news show...but only because it would have been racist, not political. Of course, this was neither..right?
    Aren't you in the wrong forum?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    All politics aside...after watching that hideous episode 2, Richard and I said "that was it!" We won't be watching anymore. My big peeve was the absolutely disgusting depiction of the two most prominent women in the show. I have worked in many corporate settings over my years, and those women were the most revolting example of what some men "think" women can be on the job. Just off the wall emotional, hyper, unprofessional, and..well...I was repulsed. How many melt-downs did they experience between them? Professional women do NOT act like that in the work force. And I've been in the work force battling it out for women's rights since I was 14. Sorkin must have issues with women, and if what's being said over on "Television without pity" is correct..there's a lot of smoke.

Bye Newsroom! Lots of luck.

I do love HBO, though, except for this thing. Didn't they create "Deadwood?" I forgot her name, but the little blonde whore on Deadwood should go into the Newsroom office and just kick some ass. I bet she could straighten them all out without blabbering on for 15 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I wasn't nearly as impressed by the second episode as I was by the first.
    Same here........ and I don't like the "political lean" of some of the dialogues and monologues on "immigration"... but then i remembered it's HBO, a home for "Bill Maher"... If this show starts leaning "left" and many thousands of Russian immigrants will stop watching.

On the Russian-American forums participants were very excited about the show after the first episode, and after this 2nd episode there is a wave of discontent....

vCash
    I may be wrong, but I thought liberals/the left/Democrats were generally pro-immigration.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    All politics aside...after watching that hideous episode 2, Richard and I said "that was it!" We won't be watching anymore. My big peeve was the absolutely disgusting depiction of the two most prominent women in the show. I have worked in many corporate settings over my years, and those women were the most revolting example of what some men "think" women can be on the job. Just off the wall emotional, hyper, unprofessional, and..well...I was repulsed. How many melt-downs did they experience between them? Professional women do NOT act like that in the work force. And I've been in the work force battling it out for women's rights since I was 14. Sorkin must have issues with women, and if what's being said over on "Television without pity" is correct..there's a lot of smoke.

Bye Newsroom! Lots of luck.

I do love HBO, though, except for this thing. Didn't they create "Deadwood?" I forgot her name, but the little blonde whore on Deadwood should go into the Newsroom office and just kick some ass. I bet she could straighten them all out without blabbering on for 15 minutes.
    I'm not saying goodbye just yet but I do feel like I am watching his first newsroom show because "Sports Night" (title?) had the same sort of romantic entaglements (or soon to be romantic) and I think "Sports Night" actually was better. I see what you are saying about the reaction of the women in the office. I think Sorkin thinks that sort of behavior might be adorable. My concern is that Sorkin has run out of fresh ideas. And that is sad because I like this guy.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    That kind of behavior perpetuates what many men think of women in the workplace, and it pisses me off. Estrogen driven hysteria. Olivia Munn is a beautiful woman, but can she not see how demeaning this is? How silly? OK-I'm being too harsh. Forgive me. But back in the 1970's and 80's, it was tough. I hate seeing women act like this on such a hyped show. I could tell you all stories of demeaning and disgusting behavior that I coukd have sued for in this day and age. And these depictions of women are demeaning to me. Just demeaning. How can this get by in 2012??
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 07-06-2012 at 04:34 AM.

vCash
    I don't know--I often wonder what films and shows we would see if most of the writers and producers in Hollywood were female. I am not bashing men---I am merely curious.

vCash
    Tonight's episode was MUCH better than last week. I'm glad we decided to hang in there on this show. I'm optimistic about the trend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast