vCash

How Do I Connect My Laptop to My TV

Hey guys! As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I bought a new television, which I am really excited about. It's got internet access, but I want to be able to connect it to my television so that I can bypass all of the crappy NBC Commentary and watch Olympic coverage thru BBC. What wires do I need to do this? And how easy is this going to be? Hopefully, I can get it all set up for women's gymnastics team finals tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    The TV has internet access? You'll probably need an HDMI cable to hook it up. Our tv came with one, but you can purchase one at Walmart if you are in the US or at most electronics stores.

If your laptop does not have an HDMI port, hopefully someone else can help, 'cause I"m limited tecknik.

Found this, hope it helps: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...at212600050003

vCash
    Thank you!!! Yes, my tv has internet access, but my computer doesn't have an HDMI port, so I am doing a VGA connection. I will let you know how it works out.

vCash
    Quite a few PC to TV converters are available at: http://sewelldirect.com/

We've had trouble finding the right one, but currently are in the process of trying to install it, Mr. Japanfan has to find some sort of cable that it isn't easy to locate.

vCash
    You will need the VGA cable to get your laptop's picture to your TV. Also, you will need an AUX cable to give you the audio from your laptop to your TV. You can find both of these cables for $10 each at your local Wal Mart. Hope that helps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Quite a few PC to TV converters are available at: http://sewelldirect.com/

We've had trouble finding the right one, but currently are in the process of trying to install it, Mr. Japanfan has to find some sort of cable that it isn't easy to locate.
    Thank you guys for your input. After two trips to Target I got a VGA connection and I am looking into buying a converter. I am not technically savvy at all so I was really proud of myself for figuring this out.

vCash
    If your VGA cable you got doesn't work for some reason, this is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01

It has the audio cable built in to the VGA cable. 15 feet is huge. It easily stretches between tv/computer. My only gripe is the cable is really heavy as cables go. It would pull down on my VGA port of the computer if I let it hang loose. I don't want the port to end up getting loose after too many times connecting. So I just place a couple of Post It note pades under the connector, so it's resting on the table better. Then just drape the cable itself in a way that it's not pulling down on the connector.

When you get to using it more often. Ask and I'll tell ya how to split your PC monitor from your TV "monitor" so that you can watch something on the TV (through the PC of course) and still have other stuff going on with your PC monitor. I asked hear a few weeks ago how to do it, and nobody responded (assume nobody knew how to do it). AFter a lot of Googling, and trial and error, I figured it out. So I'm glad to help you with that if you like. If I don't respond here, could mean I missed a post. So PM me and give me a slap up side the head if you need to get my attention.

vCash
    We got the wireless from Sewell Direct yesterday. Works like a charm and I just love it.

vCash
    Great! Enjoy the Olympics!

vCash
    The people at Radio Shack are usually very helpful when you need cables for things like this. They sell and all-in-one cable with the audio and graphic connectors that works great for my laptop-to-TV connection.

I didn't think NBC's coverage was all that bad.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I am new here and i have a problem i want to connect my laptop once i did it but no positive news please tell me details

Banned Member
    vCash
    I am new here and i have a problem i want to connect my laptop once i did it but no positive news please tell me details

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Thank you guys for your input. After two trips to Target I got a VGA connection and I am looking into buying a converter. I am not technically savvy at all so I was really proud of myself for figuring this out.
    Did it work out?
    I wanted to do this too for the Olympics (but unfortunately in my case it would be too complicated and expensive ), it all depends on what ports your laptop and tv have, just in case someone else needs a summary of the different options, this is the best guide I've found:http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...o-my-tv-902693
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatfoote View Post
    If your VGA cable you got doesn't work for some reason, this is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01

It has the audio cable built in to the VGA cable. 15 feet is huge. It easily stretches between tv/computer. My only gripe is the cable is really heavy as cables go. It would pull down on my VGA port of the computer if I let it hang loose. I don't want the port to end up getting loose after too many times connecting. So I just place a couple of Post It note pades under the connector, so it's resting on the table better. Then just drape the cable itself in a way that it's not pulling down on the connector.

When you get to using it more often. Ask and I'll tell ya how to split your PC monitor from your TV "monitor" so that you can watch something on the TV (through the PC of course) and still have other stuff going on with your PC monitor. I asked hear a few weeks ago how to do it, and nobody responded (assume nobody knew how to do it). AFter a lot of Googling, and trial and error, I figured it out. So I'm glad to help you with that if you like. If I don't respond here, could mean I missed a post. So PM me and give me a slap up side the head if you need to get my attention.
    Yes, if you could show me that trick I would be so appreciative!
    I have been watching the Games this way as much as I can. I have some TV shows on iTunes that I would love to be able to watch on my TV screen. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    Did it work out?
    I wanted to do this too for the Olympics (but unfortunately in my case it would be too complicated and expensive ), it all depends on what ports your laptop and tv have, just in case someone else needs a summary of the different options, this is the best guide I've found:http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...o-my-tv-902693
    Yes, it worked great. I am looking into getting a VGA/HDMI converter mentioned upthread.