Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Newsroom

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash

The Newsroom

Did anybody watch the first episode, and perhaps "The Making Of..." ? It's being treated so reverentially, I wondered if anyone saw it and what they thought.
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 06-27-2012 at 03:28 AM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Not me. The teasers looked interesting but I don't subscribe to HBO.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I loved it.

But I love most HBO and Showtime series.

vCash
    Sorkin fan: I'm in for better or worse and I enjoyed the first episode.

vCash
    The first episode was fantastic. Let's hope they can keep it up, which would be hard. Best show on US TV i've seen in years.

The dialogues and use of language is fantastic, like art-work.

vCash
    I love me some Sorkin to be sure, and this one seems as good as the rest of his shows. Allison Pill is beautifully cast as Jeff Daniels' assistant, and John Gallagher Jr. looks to be very good as the nerdy senior producer.

Too bad that this show is getting a lot of bad reviews. I hope people give it a chance.

vCash
    I found it entertaining, but the characters stereotypical. I hope they can expand on that in more episodes. I've also read several bad reviews.

vCash
    Too many bad reviews for me to hope it'll last, but I loved it anyway
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I know, I was sort of amazed at the bad reviews. I did have trouble with all the screaming and put-downs and heavy handedness combined with the rat-a-tat-tat dialogue which everyone seems to love so much. BUT-I had had a very rough day at work and was already punch drunk, so maybe that was my problem. Richard loved it, and we decided we'd give it another shot.

I do think it's terribly self-conscious, but there's no doubt it's excellently made. I do care about Jeff Daniels' little assistant and the young man who came in with Daniels' ex-girlfriend-producer whatever she is. (She's gorgeous but totally unbelievable.) It felt like they were all just trying too hard and were so very, very, very serious and a bit sanctimonious.

Maybe they'll relax and we can add in a wee bit of humor and lightness that's still sharp and relevant. Think Boston Legal! Well, don't, because this is a totally different show. I know that. But it was like eating a whole chocolate pound cake which was delicious but just too filling.

vCash
    Um, it's Sorkin. Sanctimonious is his middle name. Yeah, not such a big fan here. Of course he's very, very talented; the problem is that he's very, very, VERY aware of it.

And I can't get over "Mackenzie MacHale." I hope they don't plan for her to get back together with her ex, or there's a chance she could one day be Mackenzie MacHale McAvoy.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I liked it. I didn't love it. I found the "making of" pieces that aired before the first episode were more intriguing the show itself. It's very watchable, so I'll be back next Sunday.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I don't really listen to the critics/reviewers. I like to make up my own mind on whether something is good or bad. Paid critics/reviewers seem to have an agenda in their opinion today. And most of the time I dislike what the critics love, and love what the critics dislike.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I like to make up my own mind on whether something is good or bad.
    I think most people do - what you can glean from the reviews is whether or not a show is likely to last. No sense in getting too invested in it if it's dropped quickly. There have been instances of viewers protesting and saving shows but that's a long shot.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    As I wrote in the general TV thread ...

Sorkin series pilot script checklist:

~ Lead character facing imminent job crisis: check
    ~ Lead characters with a romantic past: check
    ~ Crusty-but-wise boss: check
    ~ Bright young thing who's just starting out and seems timid but you just know is bound to go far: check
    ~ Walk-and-talk: check
    ~ People who are incredibly passionate about their jobs: check
    ~ Grandiose speeches: check
    ~ An idealized-in-a-good way workplace, and by extension an idealized-in-a-good-way America: check

In case you can't tell ... I enjoyed it. Despite the stereotypes and the predictable formula. But I'm biased, I've loved just about everything Sorkin has done. I don't even get HBO, I was so eager to see this I tracked it down by, um, less legit means.

My only criticism, and it's small, was that I thought the profanity in the opening scene was unrealistic and unnecessary. It was like "Hey, this is HBO and we've gone 5 minutes without swearing ..." And I'm someone who curses like a sailor and is not the least bit offended by four-letter words -- I just thought it was jarring in this context.

(It's funny, in Studio 60 there was an episode about a guy who'd written a series about the UN. He wanted to sell it to a cable channel thinking it would find a better home there, but Jordan wanted it for her network because she though it deserved as wide an audience as possible. I couldn't help but think of that this show could have deleted the swearing and been right at home on a network.)

Re: negative reviews etc., I've always had the sense that a cable series is more likely to go its whole season despite ratings and reviews. Might not last more than a season, but not likely to be yanked after only a couple of episodes. Particularly subscriber-based cable stations like HBO that don't have the same reliance on selling ad space. But I could be completely wrong about that.

p.s. I looked up Emily Mortimer after watching to try to remember what else I'd seen her in besides Dear Frankie and some British TV stuff ... and discovered that her father is John Mortimer! Never made that connection before!

vCash
    I loved it, but I watched it with the bias of being a Sorkin fan.
    In addition to that, both Mr. Habs and I come from a news background (both of us are former journalists), so it was all that much more interesting. Love it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Um, it's Sorkin. Sanctimonious is his middle name. Yeah, not such a big fan here. Of course he's very, very talented; the problem is that he's very, very, VERY aware of it.

And I can't get over "Mackenzie MacHale." I hope they don't plan for her to get back together with her ex, or there's a chance she could one day be Mackenzie MacHale McAvoy.
    I think you pretty much summed it up.

The show seems to have been done before, although I do watch a ton of TV. I really didn't think it was anything spectacular. HBO has better things to offer.

A free podcast of the pilot is on iTunes until July 23rd.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Watch "The Newsroom"'s episode 1 for free:
    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...on-sorkin.html

Direct Youtube link. You have to sign in:
    http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...ure%3Dyoutu.be

It can also be watched for free at HBO.com.
    http://www.hbo.com/#/index.html/eNrj...qyMQIAe90Wdw==

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    It can also be watched for free at HBO.com.
    http://www.hbo.com/#/index.html/eNrj...qyMQIAe90Wdw==
    Geoblocked -- US only.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

In case you can't tell ... I enjoyed it. Despite the stereotypes and the predictable formula.
    I don't mind stereotypes and predictable formula so long as it's well-done. I'd rather watch an unoriginal idea done well than a new idea that's horribly executed.

I liked it. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. I'll definitely tune in next week, but I wouldn't stay home to watch it either or feel compelled to post as it's happening.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I liked it a lot - looking forward to seeing more episodes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast