Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Adultsk8r509 View Post
    I skate publics. Where I live I usually have most of the ice to myself. It's a crime.
    So lucky... I used to when i was freelancing.. damm permanent employment!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I was off the ice for over a year with a destroyed knee (yes, that's the technical term for torn ACL, partially torn MCL and meniscus ). Hopefully, it holds up to skating 2 sessions since I was ok doing one FS session for the past few months. I'm working on adult gold moves until I can get back in shape (already passed intermediate MITF before getting injured) and hoping to get my axel back and start working on doubles maybe by the end of the year if I'm lucky.
    I returned to skating in late 2000 after the better part of several years off ice due to work commitments followed by "torn ACL/torn MCL" (left knee) and surgery to fix the ACL. That leg turned out to be my better side.

I've sinced messed up the right knee (torn cartilige, surgery to clean it, followed by more knee problems) and life has again gotten in the way, so I'm not skating now (doing other skating related things though)

At the time I stopped seriously skating (right before the surgery on the right knee), I was working on my Silver dances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Adultsk8r509 View Post
    I skate publics. Where I live I usually have most of the ice to myself. It's a crime.
    Ditto, for the most part. Though I enjoy the occasional FS session because I get to know the kids in the club. Not skating right now as I broke my ankle on a bracket (blasted Gold moves!) but I plan to ease back into it this winter. The time away has been good for me mentally. . . maybe not so great for my flabby body Anyhow, one of these days I WILL pass my bronze FS; right before I broke my ankle my loop was getting nicely consistent (and the other night I dreamed about doing a loop with mega height, such that I could easily do a double loop --and I was also dreaming about various pairs skaters doing a throw loop with me. All of them did great without prep except for the guy who didn't know I am a CW skater, so he set me up wrong. )
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenlyon60 View Post
    I've sinced messed up the right knee (torn cartilige, surgery to clean it, followed by more knee problems) and life has again gotten in the way, so I'm not skating now (doing other skating related things though)
    That doesn't sound fun, at all! Not sure getting back on the ice if things settle down is an option, but hopefully it might be in the future. My knee is still attached after lesson this morning, so there's hope for the world =).

vCash
    I started back skating in Nov 2011 after many years off preceded by a broken leg, which was preceded by a 17 year break (no pun intended). Before I left skating, when in my 20's, I was teaching lessons at a seasonal outdoor rink. Now I've been back about 8 months having issues due to the broken tibia that affect my skating negatively. I feel like I'm lagging back, that I should be doing more than I am, but whatever, I'm enjoying skating.

During the school year, I have a choice of morning adult sessions at 10am, and general sessions at noon which are often less crowded than the adult sessions. Most of the time it seems there are no more than 10 skaters, rarely more than 15 (unless school is out). Mostly the skaters are the same groups of adult skaters, mostly dance, low to mid freestyle, or basic skills, and they are all very considerate of one another (except one...).

In summer when school is out the rink completely changes its schedule. The adult sessions are changed to like 7am which is way too early for me. There are a lot of summer camp kids in the noon sessions, but there are camp counselors with them, so they are usually not too difficult to deal with but the ice gets chopping so any free smooth skating around the rink has to be done within the first half hour, and the rest of the time I either stay in the center or in a corner.

What is difficult to deal with is small children doing freestyle who move unpredictably without looking first and don't care at all who they run into. I do not go to freestyle sessions because they are full of unpredictable little kids and are more crowded than the sessions I usually skate in during the school year . What I would like to know, is why a 7 year old needs twice as much open space to do a jump or spin than a full grown adult doing the same move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12