Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    As far as I know he went back to Russia and they are not skating together anymore.
    I have seen her skating with a different boy since the Russian went back.

It seems also unfair for an Australian boy to get a Russian girl.. with so many Australian girls look for partners...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    It's so rare for siblings to skate at the elite level.

It's crazy that three are in senior, and that they do pairs as well. Where do they find the time? Or have they been genetically cloned and they're just not letting on.
    Ooh Dodds boys, I know them very well so I can give you all the information there...

Yes there are 4 of them, 3 of them do pairs as well and from looking at the test list from Queensland 2 of them just did a dance test hahaha.
    As already said 3 of them are currently at Uni, the youngest Ryan is still in Highschool.
    The most impressive thing about this family in my opinion is their involvement in the sport...
    All 4 boys teach skate school, one of them for free while the other three have their level 1 accreditation.. One of them has done a lot of trial judging and another has done a lot of tech assistant for low level comps...
    Their mother also judges although their aren't many events available to her as her sons are in most of them...hahaha
    The eldest brother Matthew also does a lot of work for Queensland running seminars and camps for them...

True example of a Family giving back to the sport....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    Ooh Dodds boys, I know them very well so I can give you all the information there...

Yes there are 4 of them, 3 of them do pairs as well and from looking at the test list from Queensland 2 of them just did a dance test hahaha.
    As already said 3 of them are currently at Uni, the youngest Ryan is still in Highschool.
    The most impressive thing about this family in my opinion is their involvement in the sport...
    All 4 boys teach skate school, one of them for free while the other three have their level 1 accreditation.. One of them has done a lot of trial judging and another has done a lot of tech assistant for low level comps...
    Their mother also judges although their aren't many events available to her as her sons are in most of them...hahaha
    The eldest brother Matthew also does a lot of work for Queensland running seminars and camps for them...

That is amazing.

vCash

Dont forget that the Dodds and their coach all travel 1 and 1/2 hours to get to the rink everyday.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Wow, that's an amazing story about the Dodd family. Now I feel obligated to root for them all. I'm going to try and find some YouTube videos of these chaps when I get a chance!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    If anyone is at Wintersun it would be great to hear your thoughts

vCash
    I am at Wintersun

Anything in particular you would like an update on?

vCash
    I am at Wintersun

Anything in particular you would like an update on?
    Is there a results link anywhere? I can't find one.

vCash
    Would be good to get some news on Junior and Senior events. Best of luck to all the skaters! Scores would be good if the results are not on line

Not all of the skaters named in the International Pool document seem to be competing does that mean they are not eligible for JGP's?

vCash
    Anybody know a website link to take a look at the results & scores from Wintersun?

vCash
    Results are http://www.isq.org.au/results/result.htm

It's sad that aussie skaters only get one try to get added to the international selection pool before nationals. Last year the criteria was a lot lower and skaters that didn't meet this years criteria at the selection competition did meet it at their internationals.

The junior pairs team missed the short program score by less than .5, I hope they still get to go to a JGP.

vCash
    Looks like David had a good skate, similar result to what he got at Hollins in the short

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Results are

The junior pairs team missed the short program score by less than .5, I hope they still get to go to a JGP.
    I would say they most likely will be included in the pool. As you said they only missed the short score by .5 and that was with a no value on their deathspiral.
    The way the criteria is written, it gives ISA room to make allowances based on factors like this.
    Also to be taken into consideration is that the junior team blitzed the long program score by 4 points...

The senior team made the long program score but was a fair way off in the short. Also with a no value on the death spirals.

I was only present for the long programs, however I noticed significant improvements in the short time since winter sun, both teams had some incredible throws...

Senior ladies, as predicted Cheltzie was clearly a class above. She looked a bit unpolished but her technical skills are not to be taken lightly and it is still early in the year.
    Chantelle Kerry skated very nicely however still seems to be struggling with consistency on the triples. Some very nice double axels however.

I am surprised with the results in Junior Men. Both skaters are hit and miss with the jumps. However I was surprised the way the program components turned out. Darian while very talented is still a developing skater, where as Ryans short program shower a lot more maturity which seemed to be overlooked by the Judges.. Still some promising skating from both skaters, will see how the long turns out.

Senior Men was all together a very impressive event.. Some great improvements from David Kranjek and the three Dodds boys since wintersun.
    David seems to be connecting more with the audience and the judges, and all three Dodds boys showed alot of promise technically.
    This is the first time I have seen Brenden skate this year, he seemed a little cautious despite being very technically competitive with the other boys, perhaps just a bit of nerves under the pressure of a short program.
    All in all was good to see the senior boys doing the harder jumps, 3 triple lutz jumps... Highlight must have been Andrew Dodds, executed a seemingly flawless 3lutz... Excellent improvements all round.

Junior Ladies:
    Kailani Craine in first place by 3 points to Taylor Dean.
    Kailani didn't have the best technical skate, down grades and underotations all over the place, but sold the program very well...
    Taylor Dean attempted no triples, but with consistent doubles and strong spins managed to stay at Kailani's heels.

Final day of competing tomorrow, best of luck to all skaters!!!

vCash
    oh... and unfortunately I have missed the dance events so far, I will try and get a chance to watch them tomorrow.....

vCash
    Thanks for the update, its good to hear from someone there, the scores don't always tell the story

vCash
    How did the other senior ladies go?

vCash
    I would say they most likely will be included in the pool. As you said they only missed the short score by .5 and that was with a no value on their deathspiral.
    The way the criteria is written, it gives ISA room to make allowances based on factors like this
    Thanks for all the updates! It's interesting to hear another point of view.

Which part of the ISA Criteria do you interpret as allowing, allowances to the criteria? And if they make allowances here will they also make them for the Male skater who did not skate Nationals and any skater who is "close".
    Personally I think if there is a spot available then the skater should go, I just wonder where you find that interpretation in the criteria and where ISA will draw the line??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_sk8ting_mum View Post
    Thanks for all the updates! It's interesting to hear another point of view.

Which part of the ISA Criteria do you interpret as allowing, allowances to the criteria? And if they make allowances here will they also make them for the Male skater who did not skate Nationals and any skater who is "close".
    Personally I think if there is a spot available then the skater should go, I just wonder where you find that interpretation in the criteria and where ISA will draw the line??
    I wouldn't think there would be any allowances for the Male skater that missed Nationals and hasn't competed at Hollins or Wintersun, as there are so many strong male skaters to fill 5 JGP's that have competed, I would imagine the top boys would be looking for 2 JGP's each, it would only be in the case of one of the other skaters being injured or unable to attend an event that he would be given consideration, IMO.

There are two Junior Pairs teams in Australia, maybe Australia will have enough spots for both teams to attend JGP's.

The Aussie men seem to be making great progress. I just don't get why the girls don't seem to be improving, there seems to be only Cheltzie, Chantelle and Brooklee as the other senior and junior ladies can't do 2A or any triples, I just wonder why so much improvement in the Mens and also Pairs but not in the ladies divisions, any thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by can'tsk8 View Post
    I wouldn't think there would be any allowances for the Male skater that missed Nationals and hasn't competed at Hollins or Wintersun, as there are so many strong male skaters to fill 5 JGP's that have competed, I would imagine the top boys would be looking for 2 JGP's each, it would only be in the case of one of the other skaters being injured or unable to attend an event that he would be given consideration, IMO.

There are two Junior Pairs teams in Australia, maybe Australia will have enough spots for both teams to :
    Yes, there are four pairs spots due to Veera and Callum attending Junior worlds last year. Last year we only had two spots, so both team should be able to attend something. My curiosity is to how the "criteria" is able to be interpreted. Example will the junior Dance team ( who missed the TES score by 1.5 points) also be given consideration because we have spots for Dance at THE JGP (are they eligable??) And how is a line drawn as to what is acceptable when the criteria was put in place.

I agree it's great to see such strong competition in our men. I hope David brings it home, I enjoy watching him :-).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_sk8ting_mum View Post
    Yes, there are four pairs spots due to Veera and Callum attending Junior worlds last year. Last year we only had two spots, so both team should be able to attend something. My curiosity is to how the "criteria" is able to be interpreted. Example will the junior Dance team ( who missed the TES score by 1.5 points) also be given consideration because we have spots for Dance at THE JGP (are they eligable??) And how is a line drawn as to what is acceptable when the criteria was put in place.

I agree it's great to see such strong competition in our men. I hope David brings it home, I enjoy watching him :-).
    I am not sure as to how the criteria will be interpreted, it seems to change all the time. If they do give the dance team the opportunity then I would imagine it will or should set a presidence and that would essentially mean the minimum scores can't be applied as there would be lots of skaters who would like the opportunity to skate for Australia that have not met the minimum score. Although common sense should prevail and if we have places, I think skaters should be given the opportunity to go no matter what, provided they have the financial means.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast