116 39.06%
  • Mao Asada

35 11.78%
  • Yuna Kim

13 4.38%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I think she just really wanted the gold. After missing out in 2002, AND in 2006 when she could have easily won both, of course she is going to be pissed. She trained for 4 years between 02 and 06 so she could try and get the gold again, while also battling through a life threatening illness. And after all that training she ends up getting a worst result than in 02. Id be pisssssssssed
    I'm curious, sk8ingcoach. Are you a skating coach, as your user name indicates? If so, do you teach your students that it's acceptable for them to (1) badmouth the judges, (2) badmouth other competitors, (3) bad mouth the audience (whether hamburger-eating or not), and (4) disrespect the competitive system by tossing awards in the trash? Irina Slutskaya has, apparently, done all of these things at one point or another in her career.

vCash
    In 2006 olys Slutskaya behaved herself perfectly well in public. I'm sure it wasn't fun or easy but she did.

If she had a hissy fit backstage, well that's what backstage is for.

There's no reason to be judgemental about private locker room behavior (unless it's legally actionable of course).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    In 2006 olys Slutskaya behaved herself perfectly well in public. I'm sure it wasn't fun or easy but she did.

There's no reason to be judgemental about private locker room behavior (unless it's legally actionable of course).
    No, that's not what backstage is for. That's what one's own home (or hotel room) is for. If you do it where people can witness it, it is in public.

And her derisive remarks about the judges in Salt Lake City, Sarah Hughes, and American audiences were all made to media outlets. That's as public as can be.

vCash
    For Irina, you could look at her face and tell exactly what she was feeling. I remember her stalking off after losing to Michelle in 2000 and 2001 and she was livid in SLC after Sarah won. I wouldn't expect her to skip around, picking flowers and singing a song after losing so I don't really fault her. It does come off a little diva-ish but not everyone can be a class act 100% of the time. It takes a very strong person to handle crushing defeat and still maintain their composure...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    And her derisive remarks about the judges in Salt Lake City, Sarah Hughes, and American audiences were all made to media outlets. That's as public as can be.
    To be fair, I thought the "hamburger" and "Sarah Hughes got fat" comments came from a Russian tabloid that's notorious for publishing false statements. Can anyone confirm?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    To be fair, I thought the "hamburger" and "Sarah Hughes got fat" comments came from a Russian tabloid that's notorious for publishing false statements. Can anyone confirm?
    As best as I can recall, Slutskaya reportedly said (some time after the Olymics) something to the effect the effect that biased judges in Salt Lake City supported an undeserving winner. Maybe this too was originally reported in a Russian tabloid. I am not sure.

On the other hand, according to Sports Illustrated, her pubic behavior right after the marks went up wasn't very sporting:

After staring blankly up at the scoreboard, she stormed out of the kiss and cry area and stood in a corner while her coach tried to console her. But Slutskaya wanted none of it, brushing aside a curtain as she stomped back to the locker room.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/oly...ya_sidebar_ap/

This doesn't make her the weakest link in my book. I won't be voting for her for another few rounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    As best as I can recall, Slutskaya reportedly said (some time after the Olymics) something to the effect the effect that biased judges in Salt Lake City supported an undeserving winner. Maybe this too was originally reported in a Russian tabloid. I am not sure.

On the other hand, according to Sports Illustrated, her pubic behavior right after the marks went up wasn't very sporting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/oly...ya_sidebar_ap/

This doesn't make her the weakest link in my book. I won't be voting for her for another few rounds.
    Well, that has nothing to do with what she did on the ice and this is poll is about that, isn't it?

And I absolutely understand her behaviour. After so many years of hard training being beaten by half a turn short of rotation triple-triples. She didn't want consoling from her coach? Well, Michelle turned down interviewers at 1997 Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartek View Post
    Well, Michelle turned down interviewers at 1997 Nationals.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkLbzBQitg#t=11m35

ITA. I haven't voted for her yet, and don't plan to until it gets down to the final three. Sportsmanship is important, but it's not one of the criteria I've used in my decisions for this poll series. She was an amazing competitor with many many medals under her belt.

vCash
    Well, that has nothing to do with what she did on the ice and this is poll is about that, isn't it?

And I absolutely understand her behaviour. After so many years of hard training being beaten by half a turn short of rotation triple-triples. She didn't want consoling from her coach? Well, Michelle turned down interviewers at 1997 Nationals.
    You also forgot the quarter or half turn pre rotations
    And th fact that the OGM winner didn do a double axel in either program since it was really a double salchow

But I don't think Irina is the weakest. Maybe after Mao and Shiz leave.

vCash
    My heart...

That was tough to watch. I admire how she fessed up to what happened and took full responsibility for her performance. It would have been easy to try to deflect the blame to something else but she said it was all her.

That's why she's the definition of class...

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post

It's too bad then that Nancy Kerrigan was recorded after her crushing OLY defeat.

vCash
    Even if that last statement were true, which, as we have seen, it isn't, can't you see the difference between declining to be interviewed and stomping around in public like a sore loser?

vCash
    Just put bartek on ignore. The Kwan hate from them is such they can't be objective about anything.

vCash
    Can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure is was a cheesburger, not a hamburger.

vCash
    Don't forget about the catty comment about Michelle's choice of music and dress for her Fields of Gold exhibition.

Looking back at it, Irina's diva behavior was pretty amusing. Don't get me wrong, at the time she came across as an ungracious and unsportsmanlike poor-sport. But come on guys... she was just being Russian! Everybody loves a Russian diva!

Even though she had her moments, I never got a malicious or mean-spirited vibe from Irina. Totmianina on the other hand....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure is was a cheesburger, not a hamburger.
    Or maybe you're thinking of the cheesefest she won and then said it was like she won US nats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    Don't forget about the catty comment about Michelle's choice of music and dress for her Fields of Gold exhibition.

Looking back at it, Irina's diva behavior was pretty amusing. Don't get me wrong, at the time she came across as an ungracious and unsportsmanlike poor-sport. But come on guys... she was just being Russian! Everybody loves a Russian diva!

Even though she had her moments, I never got a malicious or mean-spirited vibe from Irina. Totmianina on the other hand....
    What did Irina say about Michelle's dress and music?
    Also what did Totmianina do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I think she just really wanted the gold. After missing out in 2002, AND in 2006 when she could have easily won both, of course she is going to be pissed. She trained for 4 years between 02 and 06 so she could try and get the gold again, while also battling through a life threatening illness. And after all that training she ends up getting a worst result than in 02. Id be pisssssssssed
    I always thought it was odd how Irina's experience seem to follow in kwan's footsteps. In 98 Kwan was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 irina was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 Kwan was again a strong favorite, but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. In 06 irina was again a strong favorite but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. Key twilight zone theme music....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I always thought it was odd how Irina's experience seem to follow in kwan's footsteps. In 98 Kwan was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 irina was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 Kwan was again a strong favorite, but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. In 06 irina was again a strong favorite but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. Key twilight zone theme music....
    Also, the triple flip was an iffy jump for them in both Olympics...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I noticed that connection immediately after Slutskaya got bronze. Their bronze medal-winning freeskates were also pretty similar in terms of mistakes made.

Off a tangent - I can't help to notice that Eldredge and Butyrskaya had similar Olympic histories as well. They were both World Champions, but the Olympic medal was elusive to them. They both were 3rd after the '98 short, then barely missed the podium. In 2002, they both messed up one of their programs and ended up in 6th (Eldredge's short, Butyrskaya's free).

I've never heard Irina say anything negative about Kwan like that before. It's a bit shocking to me, they were always described as close friends.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast