Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Wedding music suggestions!

Getting married this fall and trying to put together a list of music for the dj. Was hoping to tap into the great FSU community for suggestions! What songs have you enjoyed at weddings? Can either be fast or slow, and we'll have a mix of ages so trying to include songs that would appeal to the young and old. I'm open to more "offbeat" suggestions but trying to avoid hokey stuff like the Electric Slide and the Hokey Pokey. and no Katy Perry.

Thanks!

vCash
    Go through your iPod or wherever your music is and pick out songs that are energetic and fun and not too long. Let your fiance do the same. It should be music you both enjoy.

vCash
    Chicken dance?

Shake your groove thing?

vCash
    Carmen, Malaguena, Aranjuez, The Feeling Begins, Ave Maria, Turandot, Swan Lake, Bolero, Requiem for a Dream, Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2, Scheherazade, Firebird....

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Carmen, Malaguena, Aranjuez, The Feeling Begins, Ave Maria, Turandot, Swan Lake, Bolero, Requiem for a Dream, Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2, Scheherazade, Firebird....
    I sense a theme there.

I'm music dumb, elka, so no suggestions but congratulations to you both and have a happy life.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I would consider the age of your guests, and try and include music that is from the time they were in high school. At weddings I've been too, people respond to songs they know, and even those who no longer dance are comfortable with the songs they used to dance to.

This would include your own friends and perhaps cousins, but also consider your parents and aunts/uncles/family friends and go back to their time for a few songs as well.

And congrats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    I'm open to more "offbeat" suggestions but trying to avoid hokey stuff like the Electric Slide and the Hokey Pokey. and no Katy Perry.

Thanks!
    Everyone always says NO ELECTRIC SLIDE!!!!! but if you want to break the ice and get people of all ages on the dance floor, hokey line dances are the way to do it. Everyone knows the steps. Even people who scream I would never!!! all of a sudden are there in droves, doing the dance. Cheese brings people together.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Everyone always says NO ELECTRIC SLIDE!!!!! but if you want to break the ice and get people of all ages on the dance floor, hokey line dances are the way to do it. Everyone knows the steps. Even people who scream I would never!!! all of a sudden are there in droves, doing the dance. Cheese brings people together.
    And for those of us who don't know the Electric Slide, there's always the Macarena. That was on the "must play" list for our wedding.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Well there are those to avoid: Pachelbel Canon is definitely not something you want to use.

For opening music, something like Bach's violin concerto in E major, or one of the Brandenburg concertos...

I've got quite a few ideas but not the exact references in my head, so I'll get back to you in a bit

ETA: duh, will teach me not to read the thread properly... I was thinking of ceremony music

vCash
    Just attended a wedding recently- there was a wide range of ages in attendance. One song, believe it or not, that got EVERYONE up and acting silly was LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It".

"I Got A Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas was a huge hit and very appropriate for a wedding reception.

The older crowd enjoyed their staples: In the Mood, American Bandstand, Moondance.

If you don't want the actual Electric Slide, you could "update" with the Cha Cha Slide. Those dances are hokey, but the are party starters for sure and people who won't dance to other songs will usually get up for those. YMCA is also a party starter.

Congratulations!! Hope you have a great day!

vCash
    We attended a wedding last weekend. The 1st song the DJ played after the 1st couple dance & the father/daughter dance was Play That Funky Music White Boy. It got everyone up & moving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    Well there are those to avoid: Pachelbel Canon is definitely not something you want to use.

For opening music, something like Bach's violin concerto in E major, or one of the Brandenburg concertos...

I've got quite a few ideas but not the exact references in my head, so I'll get back to you in a bit

ETA: duh, will teach me not to read the thread properly... I was thinking of ceremony music
    Actually, we have yet to pick those too! so suggestions would be welcome, I love pachabel canon but everyone seems to be using that these days.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've just been getting "stuck" if you know what I mean- our current list has some old school staples like madonna and Michael Jackson (I'm an 80s child) but my personal music collection tends to be on the mellow non-dancing side (and my fiance is no help at all!). I'll hear something at a party or bar and think ohh that would be great to add but then of course I forget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    Just attended a wedding recently- there was a wide range of ages in attendance. One song, believe it or not, that got EVERYONE up and acting silly was LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It".
    Haha! That's awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    I love pachabel canon but everyone seems to be using that these days.
    If you love it, use it. I don't know why people get so wound up about using something someone else has used.

As for dance music, consider who will really dance.

My extended family on my mother's side would not dance at a wedding or party even if offered a cash reward on the spot. In fact, no one ever had a wedding dance in that family before me and no one has since. My cousins got a dj for my aunt and uncle's anniversary party since there was a dance floor in the venue. No one danced.

My husband's extended family, on the other hand, has a thing for polka music (they are Polish). And will dance to anything.

Point being--people who enjoy dancing will dance and people who are not into that won't, no matter what you play. So don't sweat too much over it. We made a list for the DJ of music we both like and some no-nos and he worked from there. Remember that DJs are experienced at working the crowd for you, too. We danced the whole night and our close friends did, too. Other people, who preferred not to, had drinks and seats and everyone seemed happy.

vCash
    That one, "to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the right" etc is always a good one to get people up and dancing. ANYONE can do it. And no, I have no idea what it's called. The hip 20somethings will know, but I am not one of those!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I heard that song in the last wedding I attended. The first time I ever heard it. I didn't get it at all.

What about Glee songs? The kids will know it because it's Glee and they cover songs from a broad demographic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate
    I don't understand this. It's a beautiful piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    If you love it, use it. I don't know why people get so wound up about using something someone else has used.
    Exactly. I agree. Mr. Habs and I used Pachelbel's Canon at our wedding because we love it. The pianist we hired to play at our ceremony did an amazing job with it.
    Just because other people have used it doesn't mean you should avoid it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    That one, "to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the right" etc is always a good one to get people up and dancing. ANYONE can do it. And no, I have no idea what it's called. The hip 20somethings will know, but I am not one of those!
    The last two bar-mitzvahs I've attended had this song. Everyone did it--it's the Macarena of the 21st century.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    That's the Cha Cha Slide.

The teachers have to do it at every pep rally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I don't understand this. It's a beautiful piece of music.

Exactly. I agree. Mr. Habs and I used Pachelbel's Canon at our wedding because we love it. The pianist we hired to play at our ceremony did an amazing job with it.
    Just because other people have used it doesn't mean you should avoid it.
    In the music world, it's rated about as highly as Plushenko's choreography is in the skating world.

Having said that - I must admit I love many of Plushenko's programs and find them way more entertaining/watchable than many of the "skater's skater" programs. So I'm nobody to claim that Pachelbel's canon should not be used, point taken.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast