Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    JEWELS.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    I was wondering where the Track & Field thread was! I wonder if they'll end up doing a run-off? I can't believe USATF let Tarmoh go to the press conference thinking she was on the Olympic team. What a mess!
    USA Track & Field: Dead-heat procedures announced
    http://www.usatf.org/News/Dead-heat-...announced.aspx

In case of a tie, the following procedure shall be used for breaking a tie for the final qualifying slot in a running-event final in which a U.S. National Team or Olympic Team is being selected:

If either athlete declines his or her position on the National Team/Olympic Team, that athlete will be named the alternate and the other athlete will assume the final available position.

If neither athlete declines their position, they will be given the option to determine the tie-breaker via coin toss or by run-off.

If both athletes choose the same option, that option will be utilized as the tie-breaker.

If the athletes disagree on the tie-breaker, the tie will be broken by a run-off.

If both athletes refuse to declare a preference regarding the method between a run off and coin toss in regards to how the tie is broken, the tie will be broken by coin toss.

vCash
    TracKontroversy!

I hope they both make the team, with the 4th place finisher being added to a relay team.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Surely they'll do a run-off?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Wow, that was a good night of competition.

Nick Symmonds, mmmmmm. That was a great race, too!

Duane Solomon! What a great finish!

vCash
    Wasn't the men's 800m dramatic? Fantastic finish, with all the top 3 achieving goals, thrilling the crowd, making the team.

The women's 800m was a thriller, too. I loved the floral fashion style of the champ, who tore out front for first lap and never let up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Surely they'll do a run-off?
    I bet they do- but it doesn't seem as simple as it sounds. There seem to be a lot of athletes talking about how a run off could be construed as unfair.

It is absurd no tie breaker procedure is in place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It is absurd no tie breaker procedure is in place.
    The coin flipping option is just , , and all at the same time.

I mean, come on, this isn't London Olympics 1908, you'd think they would have a better way to make the decision by now.

vCash
    I like Bobby Kersee's approach to all of this....mad respect, especially considering he coaches both girls. He's refusing to be involved until after they run 200m. He has said repeatedly that it is a conflict of interest for him to voice his opinion on who should run or even how the decision of who should run is being made. I think that the outcome of that race is going to determine who runs in the 100m.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    They are doing a run-off for the women's 100 meters tomorrow night (Monday) at 8 pm EST

US Olympic Team ‏@USOlympic
    The tiebreaker between @AllysonFelix and @JenebaSylvia will be a run-off tomorrow at 5pm PT on NBC. #TeamUSA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    They are doing a run-off for the women's 100 meters tomorrow night (Monday) at 8 pm EST
    This is the only thing that made sense. The other options that USATF suggested were ridiculous. Flipping a coin? Get real!

vCash
    I'm glad Tarmoh is apparently going to London regardless on the relay. And yeah, the coin toss idea was ridiculous.

vCash
    I hope they broadcast this.....I need to see this live and up close! I've been a fan of Allyson Felix's for years and I want whatever she thinks she needs to win gold in 200m in London.....I don't think either of these girls has a chance in hell of medaling in this event in London, and it's a lot to put these girls thru. I just them to get it resolved quickly so that they can move on and train for the events that they know that they'll be doing in London. Either way, both will be on the 4x100 relay team.

vCash
    I want to see the amazing Felix win 3 golds in London, in the 4 x 100 relay, 200 metres, and 4 x 400 relay. I do think she has potential to be World Champion at each of the 100, 200, 400 distances by the time her career is over. She is a special talent, although I agree she has no real chance in the individual 100 this year.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Felix is a great runner, but I don't think the 100m is her event and it would have to be a very weak field for her to become Olympic/World champion at the distance.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I hope they broadcast this.....I need to see this live and up close!
    NBC will broadcast this, during the coverage of the Swimming Trials at 8 PM EDT tonight.

vCash
    The drama continues--Tarmoh is now saying she doesn't want to do the runoff and feels that she was bullied into choosing the runoff option by USATF:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...s-run-off.html

It's also possible that she may concede the spot to Felix before tonight:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...pot-agent-says

I feel really badly for Tarmoh--USATF completely screwed this up, and I'm sure there has been a lot of pressure on her by outside forces to give up the spot because Felix will bring greater media attention.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash

vCash
    What a cluster. I have a feeling a lawsuit is going to be coming soon...

vCash
    She's starting to look like a crybaby.

How many swimmers at the Olympic trials have done swim-offs this week? And she's complaining about a 100 m. run off?

Sure, it was wrong that her name was displayed in third. That doesn't make it any more fair to arbitrarily give Tarmoh the victory if the photographic evidence clearly shows a dead heat.

I'm really not following her issue. Sure, it sucks that she didn't clearly come in third, but that's reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    How many swimmers at the Olympic trials have done swim-offs this week? And she's complaining about a 100 m. run off?
    Have there been swim offs?

Either way- from what I can tell, that is the standard documented procedure for a tie in swimming. It is a huge issue that there wasn't one for track. The athletes weren't prepared for it- it isn't a possibility of the training regime that they might have to run again (although it will be now...)

I don't know what she expects them to do, as a run off is the clear way to solve it (or tie goes to the higher world ranking, or something like that). But I can understand being pissed, and feeling bullied, about having to do something that isn't documented as part of the rules.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast