Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So some dude on the internet who posts that it's wrong to remove Paterno's statue from Penn State is as bad as Sandusky? I'm not buying it.
    Taf said those people make her sick. Not that they are as bad as Sandusky.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    nm
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    NCAA sanctions have been announced. $60M fine, 4 year ban on post-season play, vacation of all wins from 1998-2011 and more. Harsh but fair IMO. It also gives current football players the opportunity to transfer and be able to play right away at their new school.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-dating-1998
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    NCAA sanctions have been announced. $60M fine, 4 year ban on post-season play, vacation of all wins from 1998-2011 and more. Harsh but fair IMO. It also gives current football players the opportunity to transfer and be able to play right away at their new school.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-dating-1998
    The NCAA had said that it would not be equivalent to SMU's death penalty but in some ways it is more severe - specifically the fine, vacating the wins and the longer post-season ban. They didn't shut down the program or take away all the scholarships, but I can't imagine too many people will stick around - and they shouldn't; the players are absolutely not at fault here, and they deserve a chance to start again elsewhere.

It took SMU more than 20 years to get an invite a bowl game, and they never fully recovered from their penalties. And those were NCAA violations, not the ugliness of this case. I think it's safe to say that Penn State football is done.

The moral failings of the men responsible for covering up Sandusky's crimes were already obvious. Although this is nowhere near the same level, they have also done irreversible damage to the program they were supposedly protecting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    It took SMU more than 20 years to get an invite a bowl game, and they never fully recovered from their penalties. And those were NCAA violations, not the ugliness of this case. I think it's safe to say that Penn State football is done.

The moral failings of the men responsible for covering up Sandusky's crimes were already obvious. Although this is nowhere near the same level, they have also done irreversible damage to the program they were supposedly protecting.
    I don't think it's safe to say that Penn State football is "done" -- unless you mean Penn State football being anywhere near the competitive level it has been in the past. It will surely be "down" for quite a few years, but I expect that it will recover somewhat. Which is only fair, assuming that all those associated and involved with the Sandusky coverup no longer have ties with the university. It doesn't make sense to punish those who had no part in this -- and going forward, I would hope that is the case. Punish those (including the institution) who were responsible for creating/sustaining the environment that allowed such awful crimes to be covered up and continue for so long, but allow for a new beginning in the future.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I don't think it's safe to say that Penn State football is "done" -- unless you mean Penn State football being anywhere near the competitive level it has been in the past. It will surely be "down" for quite a few years, but I expect that it will recover somewhat. Which is only fair, assuming that all those associated and involved with the Sandusky coverup no longer have ties with the university. It doesn't make sense to punish those who had no part in this -- and going forward, I would hope that is the case. Punish those (including the institution) who were responsible for creating/sustaining the environment that allowed such awful crimes to be covered up and continue for so long, but allow for a new beginning in the future.
    Done in the sense that SMU was done - Penn State might eventually get close to the level it was competitively, but it will take a long, long time for that to happen. What will Penn State have to offer potential recruits, even after the ban ends? They'll be a losing program for a while, and one with a tarnished reputation as well.

As some columnists have noted, these penalties could harm other athletic programs at Penn State, because football brings in a lot of money. But I don't see how the NCAA could have gone about this much differently - they've punished schools for procedural stuff, and this case goes far beyond that.

vCash
    I do hope that the current players can find another school ... and soon. It really isn't their fault.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    The next question is what will the Big 10 do with Penn State? Kick them out?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I do hope that the current players can find another school ... and soon. It really isn't their fault.
    No it isn't. Unfortunately, as in any institution, what's done at the top affects the innocent at the bottom. Collateral damage.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I have mixed feelings about the NCAA's decision, and I think there are a lot of complications no one (that I've heard) is talking about.

One thing is that Penn State is the biggest and by far the most successful northeastern university football program. People in New York and New Jersey and Pennsylvania are more likely to watch a Penn State bowl game than an Oregon one. There's going to be an effect on TV ratings.

Another is that Penn State now needs to redefine itself as a near Ivy. Ivy league universities have very limited athletic scholarships and don't go to Bowl games, but they do just fine getting recruits, and a handful of their students go on to professional sports, including football. I'm sure Penn State has a strong academic department. It simply needs to promote itself to recruits as a highly academic environment with a strong football history that will be appealing to NFL scouts.

I would have allowed Penn State to keep all its football credentials, but forbidden it to have people at its home games for 3 years. I think that would have been a more visiible punishment, more like a "death sentence." I don't know that people will get that a lousy football program is the direct result of covering up a crime.

And finally, it will be interesting to see what happens the next time a rape scandal affects a major university sports program. An awful lot of univeristy athletes get away with an awful lot of sexual abuse because the university lets the athlete get away with it. If I'm a girl who is vicitimized, I'm heading right over to the police and the NCAA to demand sanctions. And if I'm a girl who is pressured by a coach to have sex with him, I'm making the same trips.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I don't think it's safe to say that Penn State football is "done" --
    Perhaps you're more idealistic than most. Very few recover from scandal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    Ivy league universities have very limited athletic scholarships and don't go to Bowl games.
    Just to clarify, the Ivy League has NO athletic scholarships. Financial aid is all need-based. And, they are permitted to play in Bowl games, they just generally aren't good enough and/or don't qualify according to toughness of schedule, etc. IIRC, the last time an Ivy team played a bowl game was in the 1930s, a time when the Ivies were pretty good at sports.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    And if I'm a girl who is pressured by a coach to have sex with him, I'm making the same trips.
    Unless your coach is morozov, then you'll just cry on twitter that you want to kill yourself because he dumped you for a teenager, and all of skating will just look away, just like they did when your pairs parter used to smack you around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Perhaps you're more idealistic than most. Very few recover from scandal.
    Maybe I am. While it's true that very few recover (completely) from scandal, that doesn't mean that some can't make at least a partial recovery, in time.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    What happened at SMU?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    What happened at SMU?
    A bunch of stuff, their "slush fund" was one of the major violations.

Of course, I thought that Baylor's basketball scandal deserved harsher penalties than it got, since it involved the murder of a player (by another player) and the coach taking part in an attempt to deflect the murder investigation from the team (among other transgressions by the coach).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So some dude on the internet who posts that it's wrong to remove Paterno's statue from Penn State is as bad as Sandusky? I'm not buying it.
    Where did I say that?

http://deadspin.com/5926561/i-hope-t...illes-renaming

“I Hope Tim Tebow Rapes A Kid”

"This is ridiculous. Joe did so many great things for Penn State. This is being completely blown out of hand. Your letting one bad thing out weigh the so many positive things. Its appears as though this is being done to please people who probably arent even big supporters of PSU." (emphasis mine)

"Joe doesn't deserve any of this crap. Shameful, cowardly and knee-jerk."

These are just a few posts that disgusted me. It is clear to me that these posters are the type of people who would have also protected Penn State football over protecting kids. Sorry if this disgusting me offends anyone.

vCash
    A commenter at cnn.com has declared that the fans are now "victims", too, and no one cares about their "suffering".

We take sports just a bit too seriously if this constitutes "suffering". No perspective whatsoever.

vCash
    When my future BIL was a junior in HS he was playing an away game & the ref made a bad call at the end that cost us the game. Parents & fans stormed out on the field & I remember one of the mothers (my Sunday school teacher) hitting the ref on the head with her purse. People were screaming & cursing & fighting - it was an absolute disgrace. The division fined our school & barred us from division play for the next year. You would have thought someone died, the grief for some people was so intense.

It is one of the reasons I seldom watch team sports - people get so caught up in the team & their record that they lose all good sense. Winning is fun but it has become such big business that values & morals are secondary to the win.

vCash
    I watch team sports. I love baseball. And I watch college football. I think that team sports can create a sense of community that is sometimes lacking in our lives. Roger Angell's classic piece called "Game Six" about the 1975 World Series speaks to this very well.

But I have perspective. I can sleep at night when "my team" loses. I don't consider myself to have "suffered" when that happens.

I would also say that I don't think avoiding team sports allows us to avoid that lack of or potential loss of perspective. The word "suffering" was thrown around the skating boards in regard to Alissa Czisny's placement at Worlds this past spring and the posters were not referring to Alissa but to themselves. (Although, I am pretty sure that was not here...can't remember for sure).

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast