Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Wouldn't his wife inherit everything anyway? Tax free unless the estate is over $5M?

Not a lawyer or an accountant...but three of the six homes in our HOA are owned only by one of the couple; two of them (who are clearly very well off) mentioned that it was for estate planning purposes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post

I hope Penn State pays, and they pay dearly. And I hope the Paternos do not earn money off of JoePa. I hope they fade into obscurity and that Joe Paterno's legacy is forever tarnished. He was no hero and a very poor idol.
    The football team, yes. But not the university. This is the MAIN university for so many who live in that area which has ALWAYS struggle in terms of education and economy. The people who live there-- of which I am part-- deserve to have a quality educational institution in their backyard.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Not a lawyer or an accountant...but three of the six homes in our HOA are owned only by one of the couple; two of them (who are clearly very well off) mentioned that it was for estate planning purposes.
    And there could be many reasons for that. Blended families, disinherited children, very large estates, etc. I was only responding to gkelly's post. If he thought he might be sued because he thought he was culpable then transferring the assets would be a financially sound choice; if his conscience was completely clear then there would not be a likely reason for the transfer of assets.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    And there could be many reasons for that. Blended families, disinherited children, very large estates, etc. I was only responding to gkelly's post. If he thought he might be sued because he thought he was culpable then transferring the assets would be a financially sound choice; if his conscience was completely clear then there would not be a likely reason for the transfer of assets.
    That was exactly my point- you just phrased it much better. Thank you!

vCash
    I would be very glad if the university takes a bath on this, however I am sure that they might have some kind of insurance which covers just this type of occurrence.

I will hold my breath on the president, and two VPs seeing some kind of punishment.

vCash
    I don't think insurance would cover this.

vCash
    Yeah, if the actions of the officials are found to be fraudulent or criminal, insurance would not cover the settlement. It might be paying their defense costs, however.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Man, did Paterno ever get off easy. I'm angry he died before seeing his image in complete ruins. I wonder if he didn't commit suicide. You know, a little extra morphine for the pain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Yeah, if the actions of the officials are found to be fraudulent or criminal, insurance would not cover the settlement. It might be paying their defense costs, however.
    An insurance company may also handle the case with a reservation of rights. This lets the insurance company deal with the victims, reserving their right to recover from the Penn State people what they pay. The Penn State people will have input into whether or not to settle (since they can get hit for the money, eventually), and they may have their own attorneys involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seregil View Post
    Man, did Paterno ever get off easy. I'm angry he died before seeing his image in complete ruins.
    Sandusky's also so old that he isn't going to see enough years in jail, IMO.

vCash
    Paterno's retirement deal, paid to his family in April:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ation/related/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Penn State could pay $100 million in civil damages to Sandusky's victims and lose public funding

I hope Penn State pays, and they pay dearly. And I hope the Paternos do not earn money off of JoePa. I hope they fade into obscurity and that Joe Paterno's legacy is forever tarnished. He was no hero and a very poor idol.
    It's been said that the NCAA has been hesitant to impose the death penalty on another school after seeing how it affected SMU football. But this case is so extreme that they may finally feel compelled to go beyond the usual penalties. That would probably mean the end of Penn State football - if not forever, at least for a very long time.

As for the university, obviously the victims deserve substantial damages; however, I do share Jayar's concerns about the impact on students, faculty and staff who had nothing to do with the actions of Sandusky, Paterno, or anyone else involved in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Sandusky's also so old that he isn't going to see enough years in jail, IMO.
    Is there such a thing as enough years in jail for what he did? He'll die in prison, as he should; at this point I don't think it doesn't matter how long it takes. Obviously he should have been there long ago.

vCash
    this is what I don't get:
    The avoidance of the consequences of bad publicity is the most significant, but not the only, cause for this failure to protect child victims and report to authorities. The investigation also revealed:
     A striking lack of empathy for child abuse victims by the most senior leaders of the University.
    A lack of awareness of child abuse issues, the Clery Act, and whistleblower
    policies and protections.
    Um.. did they take Don Draper's time machine back to 1960? How can anyone with a tv and a newspaper subscription in 2001 claim to have zero awareness and or empathy for molestation victims?! Seriously, who are these men? "A striking lack of empathy for child abuse victims"? WTF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    He'll die in prison, as he should; at this point I don't think it doesn't matter how long it takes. Obviously he should have been there long ago.
    I would rather have seen him do several decades in jail and also die in jail. But, better later than never, since it wasn't so long ago that society completely ignored this issue.

vCash
    I always wonder if old men in authority who condone child sexual abuse like this through their cover-up actions, like in the Catholic Church for example or in this situation don't also have pedophile tendencies. It would make sense that they don't see it as a horrific crime, just something to hide from the outside world.

I just can't understand what else would make people protect the attacker instead of the children.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think it has a lot to do with society having hangups about sex. There seems to be this assumption that the victims must be willing participants if they don't fight tooth and nail against their attacker. And people don't want to talk about sex so they also don't want to talk about sexual abuse. Not talking about it let's these attitudes fester because they don't get challenged.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Some people do not want to believe that they know (and maybe like/admire) a person who is a child molester. It is pure denial. I've seen it first hand...

vCash
    I think that beyond what MacMadame says - which I also believe to be true, it is human nature to want to believe the your friends couldn't really do something really horrific. Even in the face of some evidence that the person has done something so horrifying - you still want to believe that they didn't.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I agree with you both as well.

"Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I always wonder if old men in authority who condone child sexual abuse like this through their cover-up actions, like in the Catholic Church for example or in this situation don't also have pedophile tendencies. It would make sense that they don't see it as a horrific crime, just something to hide from the outside world.

I just can't understand what else would make people protect the attacker instead of the children.
    Interesting. My gut reaction was to assume they'd been victims themselves, had convinced themselves it was no big deal, didn't ruin their lives and was just something they had to get over, so their whole attitude towards other victims was more of a Cher "Snap out of it!" impatience, like any kid nowadays whining because he has to walk to school, etc... In generations past people seemed to be more obsessed with not being a "rat" and whistle blowers were seen as scum.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast