Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    vCash
    That's what I would have done. If I saw something with my own eyes and the law enforcement did nothing about it, and it was about a celebrity whom I was fairly certain they were protecting (a logical conclusion in this case, I think), I would have gone to the papers. Anything to get this to stop in some way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CDANN1013 View Post
    One problem with that, Heckles, Sanducksy WAS NOT an employee of Penn StTe football in 2002 when the shower scene happened. Sanducksy was granted access BY the Athelic director and the President of the university NOT by Joe Paterno. When the shower scene happened it was reported to Paterno by McCleary, if Joe Paterno or anyone else reported it to the authorities, the cops would have asked if they witnessed the crime, otherwise it might be considered hearsay evidence.

Carol
    No, he was not an employee at that time. He was, however, told by university officials not to bring kids to the facility anymore. That was the extent of how PSU handled it. I believe the school officials had the audacity to refer to the abused children as Sandusky's "friends".

It was common knowledge, according to reports, that everyone from Paterno to the university president knew that he continued to bring kids to "work out". How can those people not be held accountable in some way when they continued to allow him to utilize campus facilities with children??

I look at it this way: Suppose I leave home for the weekend. My kids decide to throw a party and one of their underage friends gets drunk with alcohol from my liquor cabinet, drives, gets into a car accident and kills some one. Guess who is held liable?? ME. My house, my liquor, my responsibility to make sure my kids and their friends can't access it.

All of the people at Penn State who knew and did nothing need to be held accountable for their NONaction.

By the way, it's "Sandusky" and "McQuery"
    Last edited by Twizzler; 07-27-2012 at 03:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    He was, however, told by university officials not to bring kids to the facility anymore. That was the extent of how PSU handled it. I believe the school officials had the audacity to refer to the abused children as Sandusky's "friends". "
    Great, so essentially Sandusky was told he could keep raping kids, but somewhere else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Great, so essentially Sandusky was told he could keep raping kids, but somewhere else.
    Yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Exactly. As long as it wasn't on their campus, they didn't care.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Exactly. As long as it wasn't on their campus, they didn't care.
    Which is why I think they wouldn't have done much to a prof in the Economics dept. who was doing something similar. While football may be king there, it seems like they have a culture of looking the other way and I doubt it stops once you leave the football departments.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Which is why I think they wouldn't have done much to a prof in the Economics dept. who was doing something similar.
    Every college has notoriously pervy profs. Tenure keeps them around.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    McQuery for one should go to jail & he probably would have if he had not made a deal for his testimony.
    Yeah, I'm not happy more didn't happen to him. (Er, more bad stuff that is.)
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Which is why I think they wouldn't have done much to a prof in the Economics dept. who was doing something similar.
    Barbk's example was of a specific tenured econ prof who was terminated based on his behavior.

I've seen it happen to other tenured profs too. But IMO it's been hit or miss. It's taken much more seriously now than it was before, so it's more common for even senior profs to face serious consequences for such behavior.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Barbk's example was of a specific tenured econ prof who was terminated based on his behavior.
    I think you quoted the wrong person since I was specifically talking about how I would expect Penn State to handle the situation and someone else brought tenure into it, not me.

vCash
    Penn State's regional accreditation was just put on "warning" status, due to the Sandusky scandal. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education, which accredits the university, says that Penn State will remain accredited while on warning, but must submit a report addressing their concerns within a month. http://news.yahoo.com/penn-state-rec...7334--spt.html
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Penn State's regional accreditation was just put on "warning" status, due to the Sandusky scandal. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education, which accredits the university, says that Penn State will remain accredited while on warning, but must submit a report addressing their concerns within a month. http://news.yahoo.com/penn-state-rec...7334--spt.html
    Ouch. I doubt they'll lose accreditation but if they do, it'll hurt them worse than any of the NCAA sanctions.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Ouch. I doubt they'll lose accreditation but if they do, it'll hurt them worse than any of the NCAA sanctions.
    I also don't think they'll lose it, but if they did, it'd be major. Massive.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Could you explain what being accredited means?

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Regional accreditation basically means that you are recognized as a legitimate educational institution. Losing it is HUGE. It would basically ruin them. Most grad schools, for example, require an undergrad degree from a regionally accredited college or university. There is also national accreditation but it's nearly as prestigious. Often a college gets it when they can't get regional accreditation.

Eta: if they do lose accreditation, they will be able to reapply for it but I'm not sure how long they'd have to wait.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_accreditation
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 08-14-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    So, punish every single PSU student b/c of what Administration failed to do? How is that right? Fire the administrators and start over.

vCash
    In addition, if they lose their regional accreditation, their students also lose their eligibility for most types of financial aid, until the school either applies and gets specific other types of accreditation, or gets their regional accreditation back.

But again, in reality, this is just a way for the accreditor to raise their very strong concerns and demand a response. I do not think that Penn State will actually lose their regional accreditation.

vCash
    It means that some academics have to look busy for a few weeks. They can resume their siestas in September.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I was fine with them completely dismantling the Penn State football program and/or not letting them play at all for a few years, but if they lose accreditation, all the students are f*cked. There is no other way to put it.

I too do not think Penn State will lose accreditation. But it's certainly sending a message.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    So, punish every single PSU student b/c of what Administration failed to do? How is that right? Fire the administrators and start over.
    Well, it's certainly a life lesson. Schools lose accreditation all the time and they also close down entire programs. How is any of that fair to the students? That's life.

I can't imagine how enrollment isn't going to be damaged. Why would anyone choose to go to such a school where this is not only allowed to happen, but encouraged to happen. Who would willingly associate their name with such a school?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast