Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Girls as young as some of the boys who were raped? 10? How could you slut-shame a 10-year-old?
    Amanda Todd was in grade 7 when she showed her breasts online. I think she is being treated worse now, after she has committed suicide.

Amanda Todd: Bullied girl’s memorial pages targeted by negative messages
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    ^^^^
    My heart goes out to the Todds.
    It is distressing to read the number of bullied teens who have committed suicide due to the inability to cope with bullying, physically or virtually. Unfortunately, social media has created a monster – virtual bullying behind computer screens. Instead of using it to reach out to connect for the better, some has used it to hurt others. How easy It is to throw judgement, insults and tear the other person into pieces out of anger, rage, bitterness and self-importance in virtual space. We are faceless hence no one can associate such acts with our physical being nor will we ever be called to account for our actions.
    I am for tougher actions against virtual bullying. It is time to send the message that we have to be responsible for our actions in person and in virtual space.
    (Sorry, this is out of place in this thread but I feel strongly for Amanda and the tragic kids who have suffered or committed suicide due to bullying.)
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Eh, somehow I don't think people would have cared about this half as much if the victims had been young girls.
    Well, actually, our British posters can comment on this. There's a similar situation going on right now in the UK....just replace "Jerry Sandusky" with "Jimmy Saville", replace "Penn State and Paterno looked the other way, but a lot of people knew" with "the BBC looked the other way, but a lot of people knew", replace "Second Mile charity used to find victims" with " 'Jim'll fix it' charity used to find victims" and replace "young boys" with "young girls".

One major difference is Sandusky was busted before he died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19887019

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Well, actually, our British posters can comment on this. There's a similar situation going on right now in the UK....just replace "Jerry Sandusky" with "Jimmy Saville", replace "Penn State and Paterno looked the other way, but a lot of people knew" with "the BBC looked the other way, but a lot of people knew", replace "Second Mile charity used to find victims" with " 'Jim'll fix it' charity used to find victims" and replace "young boys" with "young girls".

One major difference is Sandusky was busted before he died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19887019
    I haven't read the article yet but I remember that show and him very well from when I lived in England. This is the first I've heard of this.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    CNN currently has the following breaking news headline:

"Former Penn State President Graham Spanier charged with perjury and other counts in the university child rape scandal."

Wow, it'll be interesting to hear what these other charges are.

ETA:

Spanier was charged with perjury, obstruction, endangering the welfare of children and conspiracy, according to online court records.
    http://news.yahoo.com/ex-penn-st-pre...1968--spt.html
    Last edited by jeffisjeff; 11-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Hopefully, there will also be two more other people, one was something like VP of Athletics, I need to go back in thread to look up. The president of PS and perhaps others will get due process, but sounds like a very intricately detailed charge and they will hopefully be held accountable. The coach with red hair was right, they all seem to have known and covered up.

vCash
    Quoting myself from 7/12/12:

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Graham Spanier was President of PSU, I believe since fired.

Gary Schultz was VP in charge of Athletics and Police. He voluntarily went back into retirement.

Tim Curley was Athletic Director. He was put on administrative leave.

The latter two are going to be up for Perjury in the State of Pa. court system.

I don't know if all 3 Penn State executives can be held liable for other charges. Spanier apparently didn't lie, but was part of the coverup. It would seem that others than Sanduskey should also be held responsible.

I hope none of the victims settle for cheaper than they are due: the moon.

Don't know if the estate of Joe Paterno can be charged for some kind of financial compensation to the victims.

Don't know if the individuals or the state can go after Sanduskey's savings. Do know that he will be allowed to collect his retirement while in jail, GAH, for presumably the rest of his life, I guess it will be given to his wife.

There may be charges additional to the Clery state ones, in federal court.

But the other 3, if not charged and/or convicted in either state or federal systems, should pay for the rest of their lives, if only financially.
    I might have been wrong saying that Spanier didn't lie, the charge seems viable. Schultz and Curley have not yet been charged, stay tuned. At least Spanier, and probably all three, will have due process, the the DA seemed very sure of the Spanier charges, went through examples of why he was charged on each offense, for instance billing someone for a 1.5 hour telephone conversation on this subject, so he must have known. The red haired Coach McQueary (sp?) was probably correct, they knew.

vCash
    I was wrong, charges have already been filed against Schultz and Curley, more were filed yesterday. And the woman running the press conference about former PS president Spanier was the Attorney General of Pennsylvania, so I guess these are state charges. I think this scandal might have lost its national news importance, but we still get headlines about it here in Philly. This latter stuff is important for all ethics classes, what would you have done, since it seems their errors are in the coverup and as well in the omission of not pursuing this when the first incidence of victim #1 was revealed because there wouldn't have been more victims if they had followed up on instead of covering up the first. Oh, and as a PS, no one knows if Joe Paterno would have been charged had he not died, I imagine his estate is still filing against the university for firing him, but the State couldn't go further because he passed.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415