Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Paterno's retirement deal, paid to his family in April:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ation/related/

He knew what was going on and instead of stopping it, arrange for a huge payoff for himself. The Paternos should give that money to the victims to pay for their counseling and legal costs. Read an article that said no one at Penn State went against Joe Paterno's wishes, he literally had carte blanche to do what he wanted. He could had easily had Sandusky permanently removed from the Penn State campus as soon as he found out about the abuse. Instead he used his power to protect Sandusky, shameful Once removed from the campus, all that was needed was a confidential phone call to the police to start an investigation against Sandusky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I always wonder if old men in authority who condone child sexual abuse like this through their cover-up actions, like in the Catholic Church for example or in this situation don't also have pedophile tendencies. It would make sense that they don't see it as a horrific crime, just something to hide from the outside world.

I just can't understand what else would make people protect the attacker instead of the children.
    I agree. In the case of the Catholic church, I wonder if it's denial. I doubt they believe it's really happening at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post

I just can't understand what else would make people protect the attacker instead of the children.
    In their minds they aren't protecting the attacker. They are protecting the organization. In this case, Penn State football. If you don't live near a major football school, you probably cannot comprehend the level through which everything can be seen through the lens of how it will affect the program.

A small example happened here recently. A player who had just finished his eligibility was arrested this spring for assaulting a police officer. Two headlines followed and the fan conversation was focused on their topics. Basically they were "how would it affect his NFL draft status?" and "would it negatively impact spring recruiting?" That's it. No concern for the crime that took place or for the officer, no questions about the bad behavior. The questions in the local papers and around the web had to do with football.

When that is how the whole atmosphere is and fans and alums are pouring millions of dollars into it as well, the people living off of it will do all they can to protect it. Talking to a friend who went to college near Penn State, I understand that it is actually WORSE there.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    In their minds they aren't protecting the attacker. They are protecting the organization. In this case, Penn State football. If you don't live near a major football school, you probably cannot comprehend the level through which everything can be seen through the lens of how it will affect the program.

A small example happened here recently. A player who had just finished his eligibility was arrested this spring for assaulting a police officer. Two headlines followed and the fan conversation was focused on their topics. Basically they were "how would it affect his NFL draft status?" and "would it negatively impact spring recruiting?" That's it. No concern for the crime that took place or for the officer, no questions about the bad behavior. The questions in the local papers and around the web had to do with football.

When that is how the whole atmosphere is and fans and alums are pouring millions of dollars into it as well, the people living off of it will do all they can to protect it. Talking to a friend who went to college near Penn State, I understand that it is actually WORSE there.
    Exactly.

The adamance at which people will protect the status quo (and their place in it) has brought down many a society.

vCash
    And now the Paternos are conducting their own investigation

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...utmk=184267686

Sorry for the long link- I don't know how to put a short "title" that you can click on and be taken to the article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    And now the Paternos are conducting their own investigation

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...utmk=184267686

Sorry for the long link- I don't know how to put a short "title" that you can click on and be taken to the article.
    Aw, let's guess how this "investigation" will turn out. Sort of like the one OJ did to find Nicole and Ron's killers....

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Just...stop. An investigation by one of the accused is seriously not going to help, either in helping to solve anything or in the public eye.

But I suppose they don't care as long as they get to keep their money....

vCash
    just saw this:
    http://news.providencejournal.com/br...reviewing.html
    I don't think his reputation is going to survive untarnished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    just saw this:
    http://news.providencejournal.com/br...reviewing.html
    I don't think his reputation is going to survive untarnished.
    This is one of many dominos that are going to fall.

vCash
    The level of delusion from some of the fans is terrifying:

http://m.deadspin.com/5926561/i-hope...illes-renaming

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Once removed from the campus, all that was needed was a confidential phone call to the police to start an investigation against Sandusky.
    Would a police report be confidential, though? A call to CPS might be, but that's different from a police investigation. The names and police reports from sexual assault survivors themselves are publicly accessible, but the media generally chooses not to publish names.

vCash
    Sorry I forgot to come back to this discussion regarding the reasons why people in large organisations deny abuse facts. You've all brought forth excellent points.

I keep thinking that some of the world's greatest evils have been committed by people because they don't want to lose their jobs (status quo).

vCash
    Yes, I think it's very probable that Mrs Sandusky had the same motive. Unfortunately they can't prove what she knew. Or what some of the others knew. What's worse - the pedaphile or his enablers?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    You're kidding right? The pedophile is worse because he's the one who violated someone. Good grief.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    You're kidding right? The pedophile is worse because he's the one who violated someone. Good grief.
    So did the people who knew & did nothing. I agree the pedophile is worse but the enablers are also despicable. The pedophile is sick in the head and/or has urges he is not able or not willing to overcome. The enablers covered it up for monetary or social reasons. They all make me sick, as well as the fans who are now outraged for Paterno & the football program & care nothing for the victims.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    So did the people who knew & did nothing. I agree the pedophile is worse but the enablers are also despicable.
    Survivors of child abuse are sometimes angrier at the enablers than the actual abuser. It usually wasn't too difficult for the victim to determine that the abuser couldn't be trusted. The enablers were sneakier-- they portrayed themselves as the "good guys", yet continually betrayed the victim.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    That is excellent satire. The kind with truth blatantly shining through yet still funny.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So did the people who knew & did nothing. I agree the pedophile is worse but the enablers are also despicable. The pedophile is sick in the head and/or has urges he is not able or not willing to overcome. The enablers covered it up for monetary or social reasons. They all make me sick, as well as the fans who are now outraged for Paterno & the football program & care nothing for the victims.
    So some dude on the internet who posts that it's wrong to remove Paterno's statue from Penn State is as bad as Sandusky? I'm not buying it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I agree the pedophile is worse but the enablers are also despicable.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So some dude on the internet who posts that it's wrong to remove Paterno's statue from Penn State is as bad as Sandusky?

I'm not buying it.
    Not buying it from whom, the imaginary voice in your head?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast