Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    This is what I don't get. People (JoPa and accomplices) say they were trying to avoid bad press. If you know someone on your staff is continuously doing things this vile, how can it be anything but good press to alert authorities and do whatever it takes to bring down the perpetrator? I would think way more highly of an institution that did that instead of the way PSU handled it.
    Agreed.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Graham Spanier was President of PSU, I believe since fired.

Gary Schultz was VP in charge of Athletics and Police. He voluntarily went back into retirement.

Tim Curley was Athletic Director. He was put on administrative leave.

The latter two are going to be up for Perjury in the State of Pa. court system.

I don't know if all 3 Penn State executives can be held liable for other charges. Spanier apparently didn't lie, but was part of the coverup. It would seem that others than Sanduskey should also be held responsible.

I hope none of the victims settle for cheaper than they are due: the moon.

Don't know if the estate of Joe Paterno can be charged for some kind of financial compensation to the victims.

Don't know if the individuals or the state can go after Sanduskey's savings. Do know that he will be allowed to collect his retirement while in jail, GAH, for presumably the rest of his life, I guess it will be given to his wife.

There may be charges additional to the Clery state ones, in federal court.

But the other 3, if not charged and/or convicted in either state or federal systems, should pay for the rest of their lives, if only financially.
    Last edited by Lacey; 07-13-2012 at 03:21 AM.

vCash
    I'm not sure if there are criminal penalties for violating the Clery Act. It is over 25K per violation for the institution, but I haven't found anything showing that prison time can be imposed for failing to report.

vCash
    Good point. And I don't know what the mandated reporting laws are in PA so I don't know if they fall under that.

vCash
    http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2...ntent=My+Yahoo

Don’t blame football. That was Joe Paterno’s message to the world about a month before his death. In December, Paterno penned an opinion piece that was made public on July 11, a day before an independent investigation concluded Paterno and other senior Penn State officials tried to cover up Jerry Sandusky’s crimes. In the op-ed, which makes no mention of Sandusky’s victims, Paterno wrote: “I feel compelled to say, in no uncertain terms, that this is not a football scandal.”

Louis Freeh, the former FBI director who led the probe into the university’s handling of the Sandusky affair — and found that the university bungled it with tragic consequences — thought differently. Among the “cause[s] for this failure to protect child victims and report to authorities” — a negligent board of directors, failure to comply with federal crime reporting laws, a “striking lack of empathy” — Freeh listed “a culture of reverence for the football program that is ingrained at all levels of the campus community.”

So it’s very much a football scandal, says Freeh. Who do you believe at this point? The man whose team interviewed over 430 people connected to the case, and analyzed over 3.5 million documents and emails? Or Paterno, who likely perjured himself before his death, since he told a grand jury he was not aware of a 1998 sexual assault about Sandusky, even though Freeh’s evidence revealed that he did?
    Creating drama!

vCash
    According to this article, there is the possibillity of state charges on things that I didn't consider, like child endangerment:

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...had-lived?lite

vCash
    I seriously don't get people repeating that "this is not a football scandal" crap. (Not you, attyfan, obviously you were quoting) Of course this is a football scandal! This would never have happened if this weren't for football. He would never have been protected, his victims would never have been swept under the rug, if the people who could have stopped this hadn't prioritized football over the lives and safety of children.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I seriously don't get people repeating that "this is not a football scandal" crap. (Not you, attyfan, obviously you were quoting) Of course this is a football scandal! This would never have happened if this weren't for football. He would never have been protected, his victims would never have been swept under the rug, if the people who could have stopped this hadn't prioritized football over the lives and safety of children.
    There was a Washington Post story the day after the conviction in which at least one neighbor said that there had been rumors about him for years. I heard a sports reporter from Altoona, PA, yesterday say that more than one student and campus worker said to him when the story broke that jokes about Sandusky and little boys had been common in Happy Valley for many years prior to the story breaking.

If your neighbor "creepy Jerry" who worked at that one office downtown and you didn't really know what he did had a thing for little boys...well, suspicious behavior by him likely would have been reported long ago. But when "creepy Jerry" is Penn State Assistant Football Coach Jerry instead...that's a whole different thing in a place that (per Louis Freeh) reveres the football program over everything else.

That makes this a football scandal no matter what Paterno made himself and his family believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    According to this article, there is the possibillity of state charges on things that I didn't consider, like child endangerment:

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...had-lived?lite
    By not reporting Sandusky's activities and allowing him on the campus after these incidents, university officials essentially assisted Sandusky in his crimes. As the report poignantly states, university officials gave him access to the university and the trappings of a top college football program. The officials thus "provided Sandusky with the very currency that enabled him to attract his victims."

As prosecutors decide their next move, the Freeh Report offers a description of facts tailor-made for an indictment for endangering the welfare of a minor.
    I wish they'd actually pursue those types of charges.
    Creating drama!

vCash

Exclamation

I saw a news report with Paterno's entire letter. Call me cynical, but I don't believe FOR ONE SECOND that it was written by him before his death. If it was, why wait until the night before the results of the investigation were revealed. It should have been released way earlier.

To me, it reads like a calculated statement prepared by lawyers to shift any blame away from Paterno and protect his legacy.

It really annoys me that the Paterno's are so focused on protecting Joe's name and are not including any statements about their sorrow for the victims. At least make it look good by including SOMETHING about their thoughts and prayers being with the victims and their families.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was revealed that Joe Paterno had put his assets in his wife's name, essentially giving everything to her. The timeline is very suspect because the transfers occurred only a few months before the Sandusky news broke. At that time, JoPa was still the head coach, presumably healthy, and PUBLICLY not being investigated for anything. Why turn over assets? Bottom line is he had to know what was about to come and he was trying to keep somethings (house, etc.) from being taken away from his family. JMHO

vCash
    I saw a news report with Paterno's entire letter. Call me cynical, but I don't believe FOR ONE SECOND that it was written by him before his death. If it was, why wait until the night before the results of the investigation were revealed. It should have been released way earlier.

To me, it reads like a calculated statement prepared by lawyers to shift any blame away from Paterno and protect his legacy.

It really annoys me that the Paterno's are so focused on protecting Joe's name and are not including any statements about their sorrow for the victims. At least make it look good by including SOMETHING about their thoughts and prayers being with the victims and their families.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was revealed that Joe Paterno had put his assets in his wife's name, essentially giving everything to her. The timeline is very suspect because the transfers occurred only a few months before the Sandusky news broke. At that time, JoPa was still the head coach, presumably healthy, and PUBLICLY not being investigated for anything. Why turn over assets? Bottom line is he had to know what was about to come and he was trying to keep somethings (house, etc.) from being taken away from his family. JMHO
    One of his sons, the one who spoke for him when the scandal broke is a lawyer. I suspect he authored that letter.

And I believe that the family had rights set up to market Paterno's image and name for profit long before the scandal. I know I read that somewhere but couldn't find it right now. I'm sure they are heavily interested in protecting that income source.

Paterno was not the soft spoken "grandpa"/ old school football coach hero people liked to make him out to be. Here's just one other perspective that doesn't have to do with the Sandusky case:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...freeh-report/1

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Penn State could pay $100 million in civil damages to Sandusky's victims and lose public funding

I hope Penn State pays, and they pay dearly. And I hope the Paternos do not earn money off of JoePa. I hope they fade into obscurity and that Joe Paterno's legacy is forever tarnished. He was no hero and a very poor idol.

vCash
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was revealed that Joe Paterno had put his assets in his wife's name, essentially giving everything to her. The timeline is very suspect because the transfers occurred only a few months before the Sandusky news broke. At that time, JoPa was still the head coach, presumably healthy, and PUBLICLY not being investigated for anything. Why turn over assets?
    He was in his 80s and had lung cancer? Regardless of the validity of the rest of your speculations, on this one I'd go with the obvious explanation here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    He was in his 80s and had lung cancer? Regardless of the validity of the rest of your speculations, on this one I'd go with the obvious explanation here.
    FWIW, he was not diagnosed until after he was fired.

vCash
    I also hope Penn State pays. It was hidden because of the football and power of that organization. In a regular world, regular scenario, if people had witnessed children being raped, they would've gone directly to the police or even charged into that shower to stop it. Instead, because of who was involved and how much clout they had, the witnesses were in fear for their jobs and everyone who was told tried to cover it up.

I hope they get as much money out of that school and the people involved as they can.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Wouldn't his wife inherit everything anyway? Tax free unless the estate is over $5M?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Penn State could pay $100 million in civil damages to Sandusky's victims and lose public funding

I hope Penn State pays, and they pay dearly. And I hope the Paternos do not earn money off of JoePa. I hope they fade into obscurity and that Joe Paterno's legacy is forever tarnished. He was no hero and a very poor idol.
    ^^ This!

vCash
    Again- presumably healthy at the time of the transfers. I suspect he did it not realizing he was sick, and thinking he was in for a big fight. Maybe I'm wrong, but if something is solely in his wife's name, it wouldn't be able to be touched in a civil suit, right?

Timeline: he put everything in his wife's name, scandal broke publicly a few months later, within a few days he was fired, diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks after that. Death within 2 months of firing.

vCash
    Again- presumably healthy at the time of the transfers. I suspect he did it not realizing he was sick, and thinking he was in for a big fight. Maybe I'm wrong, but if something is solely in his wife's name, it wouldn't be able to be touched in a civil suit, right?

Timeline: he put everything in his wife's name, scandal broke publicly a few months later, within a few days he was fired, diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks after that. Death within 2 months of firing.
    Depending upon state law, they may well be able to set aside any transfers that were made with the specific intent to defraud creditors. His wife will probably claim that, even though he wasn't formally diagnosed, he still suspected something like cancer -- if the transfer was not intended to defraud creditors, then they can't touch it.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash

According to this article, PA law says the house would not have been subject to creditors even if he had not transferred his share to his wife because the house had been jointly owned.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast