Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I wonder why he stopped. Don't most pedophiles offend throughout their lives? If he didn't stop then there are younger victims out there.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    If he didn't stop then there are younger victims out there.
    I suspect there were, but they're too scared to come forward just yet. Some victims don't realize just how impacted they were until well into adulthood, sometimes their 30s or 40s. That's why it's surprising that in a lot of states, the victim has only until two years after hitting the age of majority--age 20-- to take legal action. In 2007, Pennsylvania raised their statute of limitations to the victim's 50th birthday. Hopefully, more states will do this.

vCash
    Good opinion piece about how we look at sports:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/23/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t1

I agree with this so much. My father, the former super star high school athlete (he could have played professional baseball, but things didn't work out), constantly explains to us that this or that is different if it is in the context of sports. Hence his opinion that children in the shower with grown men is okay if it was a locker room. At the school I last taught at, the principal was the head football coach. Parents complained to the school board more than once that he called players "retard" and "dumb ass" and otherwise verbally berated them. It was deemed okay by the entire board because of "context"--in other words, as long as it happened on a football field or sideline it was okay. The male teacher who taught in the classroom next door to me constantly yelled at his students during class. A student was complaining in front of me one day that a female teacher "yelled" at them all the time and was just "harsh". I answered that Mr. Next Door yells constantly and this same student admired him. Response: "That's totally different than a woman doing it. He's a coach and he just goes into coach mode and you have to expect that. It doesn't make him a bad teacher."

There is a double standard in our society for sports. We have to let go of that or all kinds of abuses will continue to be overlooked on fields and courts and in locker rooms.

vCash
    I'll never understand why Penn State hid this and did nothing.So many people reported Sandusky over a long period of time and nothing was done. It makes no sense. Sandusky was an institution at the school but he wasn't a school symbol. Them making sure kids were safe would have given much more a positive then whatever the Sandusky name was adding to the schools appeal.

Sandusky's wife should at least be prosecuted in the case of her own adopted son so I hope that goes forward. Children need to be safe from coaches but even more definitely from forester and adopted parents.It was the wife's responsibility to make sure the children under her care were protected. But also because she and he created a "safe" haven for children and then hurt and/or allowed children to be hurt, this is even more heartbreaking and ****ed up so they both need the book thrown at them!!!!

vCash
    The Sandusky case has brought up many things for me.
    In the '90's I worked along side an ex-priest who was a child molester.
    Right after I met him, I attended his wedding where he became the father of 3 boys. He cried as the 3 boys walked down the aisle ahead of their mother. I was so creeped out - it was like he was marrying those children. After that, he started telling us "funny" stories of wrestling and showering with the boys. I got together with 2 other co-workers and made a call to CYFD. Nothing came of it.
    He was working as a mental health professional and it was obvious he took a special interest in his vunerable, young male clients. Many of us complained to management. A client even filed a compliant, but everything was swept under the rug. He kept moving up the ranks, received awards, and had his photo taken with Senators, the Governor, etc. When we had to be fingerprinted by the FBI, *something* came up and he was put on suspension, BUT returned to work in no time.
    His wife was a clueless, drunk woman who was, imo, happy that she had a husband to take care of her after her bitter divorce.
    I, among others, continuously complained about him, and contacted the media numerous times.
    Finally, the law caught up with him and he was charged with dozens of child molestations in Arizona and California when he was a priest. He was among several perpetrators who were shielded by the Church in Arizona.
    He is currently in jail.
    I'm still so disgusted at how everything was handled. As most pedophiles do, he hid in plain sight for over 12 years. He presented as such a helpful, Christian man. TPTB refused to see what he really was.
    I hope that high profile cases can at least serve to wake people up as to the real nature of pedophiles. Yes, they work and live among us every day and everywhere.
    Last edited by Sparks; 06-24-2012 at 03:28 PM.

vCash
    I am not mad at Joe Paterno, may he rest in peace, I actually think he thought he had told the authorities.

I am not mad at the coach with the red hair, who thought he had reported it to school officials. He should get back his job or a lifetime retirement fund. Strange that one of the charges was what he thought he witnessed in the shower, guess the jury decided they couldn't be sure what crime it really was.

I am furious at each and every officer of the university, up to and including the former president, because they all knew and closed their eyes. And they should all be placed on leave immediately, if they are still there, charged and prosecuted, and fired if they are not gone already with no retirement if found guilty.

And yes, you all are correct here, Snaduskey's wife should bear some responsibility. Bad enough that he did things to all of those children. Think about it, he also did them to their own adopted kids. And she knew about everything, must have.

And I hope they can close his "charity" and get some of the donated money back to distribute to his victims. And sell his house and get his retirement account for them too.

I hope this is a lesson for pedophiles everywhere.
    Last edited by Lacey; 06-23-2012 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CDANN1013 View Post
    According to WJAC-TV (Johnstown, PA), he was found not guilty of the counts that happened in the Penn State shower.
    Well, if that filth likes sex in the shower, he should enjoy where he's going.

vCash
    He was only found not guilty on the charge related to sexual assault in the shower, because the jury couldn't conclude that McQuery had actually seen penetration. He was convicted of all the other charges associated with that incident.

And I don't ever think jail rape is appropriate punishment no matter what the crime.

vCash
    Penn State trying to get out front of anticipated civil suits:
    Pennsylvania State University announced its next phase of damage control in the matter of Sandusky's sexual-abuse victims.

"The university plans to invite victims of Mr. Sandusky's abuse to participate in a program to facilitate the resolution of claims against the university arising out of Mr. Sandusky's conduct," school president Rodney Erickson said in a statement released just after the 45 guilty verdicts against Sandusky were brought in Friday night. "The purpose of the program is simple. The university wants to provide a forum where the university can privately, expeditiously, and fairly address the victims' concerns and compensate them for claims."

The purpose of the program is very simple. That much is true. The university wants to get ahead of the tide of civil complaints that will be brought by the victims and buy short against a market that could turn against Penn State quite severely.

It's the smart thing to do - settle quietly, extract no-public-comment promises as part of the bargain - and move on. The school knows that a jury might reasonably find some of its top administrators liable for allowing Sandusky to remain on campus and for not taking allegations made against him to the proper legal authorities.

Penn State could risk waiting for those judgments to go in its favor after former vice president for business and finance Gary Schultz; on-leave athletic director Tim Curley; and, quite possibly, former president Graham B. Spanier are tried on various perjury and failure-to-report charges. That would be a huge bet with possibly devastating consequences, however, and not a risk the school appears willing to take.

The school might be calculating that the victims, many of whom came from troubled or disadvantaged backgrounds, will take the quick settlement rather than slog through a civil process in which they will once again have to recount the most painful memories of their lives. It's a pricey game of Let's Make A Deal, and some of the victims will probably take the money on the table rather than wait to find out what's behind door number three.

It would be hard to blame them either way, and Penn State loyalists who insist the school did nothing wrong should ask themselves why the school is so eager to settle with the victims. The top remaining administrators and the board of trustees know far more than any of us what really went on and know how many people within the football program and above were aware that "Jerry has a problem," or some whispered code of the same sort.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1yfrco6G5

vCash
    I never really believed in witch hunts. They should try to resolve the issue quickly and fairly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    He was only found not guilty on the charge related to sexual assault in the shower, because the jury couldn't conclude that McQuery had actually seen penetration. He was convicted of all the other charges associated with that incident.
    Does that mean that he was found guilty of fondling that specific boy, but not raping him? Did the boy allege he'd been raped?

vCash
    The boy above has never been located. That was the problem--there was no direct testimony in that case.

ETA: Apparently Sandusky is under suicide watch.
    Last edited by agalisgv; 06-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.

vCash
    The suicide watch is more to give him protection from other inmates than to address his emotional state. But apparently it puts him in solitude, which is not always a great thing.

With regard to the university's very quick thinking about offers to those who were harmed by Sanduskey, I am naiive not to have thought that they have been waiting these six months with a we're so sorry after all the denials over the years. I mean, talk about a wham bang move.

I obviously hope that those who were able to testify will get huge quick settlements.

But I am on the fence about those who have yet to come out of the woodwork, would they take a small offer when they could get a much larger amount from a jury.

And isn't the bottom line for Penn State that they want to keep their executives (former) out of trouble?

Also I read something about their insurance company isn't quite so wild about the university offering what the company will have to pay off, they have to agree and might (probably wrongly) think that they could get off with less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Does that mean that he was found guilty of fondling that specific boy, but not raping him? Did the boy allege he'd been raped?
    He was found guilty of several counts related to that boy (I forget the exact name of the charges) but not the specific deviant sexual assault charge. So, it seems that the jury felt that there was clearly very, very inappropriate, sexual behavior demonstrated, but not enough evidence to convict on the rape charge itself.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Also I read something about their insurance company isn't quite so wild about the university offering what the company will have to pay off, they have to agree and might (probably wrongly) think that they could get off with less.
    I'm no expert on insurance, but I would think that the willful misconduct by Penn State officials in not investigating/stopping the abuses could negate the insurance policy in this instance.

vCash
    Sandusky's attorney seems to be doing everything possible to create grounds for an appeal. Given the many inappropriate things he's said outside of court during the trial and the deliberations, the poor job he did on the defense, whatever Second Mile and Sandusky paid him was way too much. (I'm not defending Sandusky in the least, but nobody deserves a lawyer like that.)

vCash
    Unfortunately attorney misconduct is rarely if ever a sufficient reason for an appeal.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Did anyone see the Anderson Cooper interview with Joe Amendola (Sandusky's lawyer) the night of the verdict? More specifically his comments while he was being miked and readying himself to be on air. Completely inappropriate, IMO. When Jason Carroll, the CNN reporter on the scene, told him they were going to hook him up (fit his microphone) he responded "With who? Is she cute?" (that may not be a direct quote but it's close.) He sounded punch drunk.

I found it on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfrY1JUwwv8
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I'm no expert on insurance, but I would think that the willful misconduct by Penn State officials in not investigating/stopping the abuses could negate the insurance policy in this instance.
    I don't have all the details in front of me, but I seem to recall that they DID investigate.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I don't have all the details in front of me, but I seem to recall that they DID investigate.
    There's no way there wasn't a huge cover-up going on.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...tate-officials

The Sandusky story, the way authorities have framed it, is one littered with missed chances to stop a rapist who preyed on children for years.

Prosecutors have hinted that top university officials knew far more about Sandusky's alleged proclivities than they have let on, submitting a document Monday that says Penn State's former vice president -- himself facing charges related to the scandal -- maintained a file on Sandusky a decade ago. A Penn State trustee told the Associated Press he now suspects a coverup.

Yet evidence and testimony from the trial also show there were plenty of people, not just those at the highest levels of the university, who had ample opportunity to stop a man accused of violating 10 boys over 15 years:

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast