Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Disney purchases Lucasfilm and plans on releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015!

I am a huge Star Wars fan so I hope Disney does the franchise justice.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    As do I!

vCash
    Wow!!! is all I can say.,.that's a big number of dollars. I am so excited and surprised that George is letting go of something he kept strict control over. I hope they are able to stay true to the franchise... but, the lowest level for Star Wars was achieved with the Phantom Menace, so it's only up from there. If they do it right, they can make megga bucks with this.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    ugh
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Episode 7 will be better than I,II,and III without Lucas directing. Maybe Disney will get around to rebooting I, II, III and VI eventually also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Episode 7 will be better than I,II,and III without Lucas directing. Maybe Disney will get around to rebooting I, II, III and VI eventually also.
    Heck, I'd be happy if they released a DVD with Han shooting first.

vCash
    This Star Wars fan is VERY happy! Thanks for posting! But I am surprised that George Lucas sold it.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    This has to be a weird, medication induced dream I'm having -- I'd swear I heard tell that Lucasfilm (of the two Star Wars Trilogies), was sold to Disney to the tune of 4.04 Billion dollars

Alas, it was no dream. This shit is happening.

With the acquisition, Disney has plans to produce an Episode VII, scheduled for release in 2015 . Following that, there are plans to release a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years . The mere thought of this leaves a great death in my soul , especially after the trio of trainwrecks known as Episodes I, II, and III.

As a nerdy kid in the 70s, nothing came close to the incomparable awesomeness of Episodes IV, V, and VI. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi were absolute masterpieces of science fiction, with TESB being (IMO) the best of the three.

ROTJ was a harbinger of the franchise's decline with the addition of those stupid hairy Cabbage Patch Dolls Ewoks, but it did have its moments -- Han Solo finally being thawed from the carbonite, Boba Fett finally getting his just desserts (or more accurately, becoming the Sarlacc's dessert), Jabba the Hutt (thanks to Mel Brooks, he will forever be "Pizza the Hut" to me ) being strangled to death by the chains that imprisoned his great prize, the high-speed chases on what were arguably the ultimate in futuristic BMX biking (the Redwood Forest as the scenery didn't hurt, either), and finally, the eville emperor Palpatine's demise.

The most memorable moment of ROTJ is in its own paragraph as it has become both a Sci-Fi and a pop culture icon, deserving of recognition that stands out from the masses (in addition to needing a separate dressing room in all those years of filming ). I am, of course, referring to Princess Leia sporting the gold metal bikini and chains after being caught by Jabba the Hutt while trying to rescue Han Solo.

The RTOJ promo poster, along with the many photo shoots, stills, and "inspired" artwork of Leia adorned in this attire was not only a smashing success for publicity (to say nothing that it was a much better look than that double-donut-meets-Vestal-Virgin thing she had going on in Star Wars), she became the inspiration for hours of shower-nozzle masturbation material or sock puppet stimulation , depending on one's sex . When compared to Carrie Fisher during that hot, sticky summer of 1983, the many women/vixens/aliens Captain Kirk encountered paled in comparison

So does this mean the geodesic dome at Epcot will become the new Death Star?

vCash
    I dunno, I'm not a huge Star wars fan by any means, but....Lucas said h e would never make another SW because he was sick of the fanboy nitpicking and criticism, so I can see why Disney sensed an opportunity.

But if the fanboys weren't happy with what Lucas had done lately, they are probably going to go ballistic with what Disney is likely to do with it. Look how Disney destroyed and commercialized Winnie the Pooh :
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Can't wait to see Episode 7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post

But if the fanboys weren't happy with what Lucas had done lately, they are probably going to go ballistic with what Disney is likely to do with it. Look how Disney destroyed and commercialized Winnie the Pooh :
    Well Disney is behind the global smash The Avengers. I think they know what they're doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Well Disney is behind the global smash The Avengers. I think they know what they're doing.
    I'll wait to be convinced.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Some of the jokes hitting the internet already are hilarious.

http://twitpic.com/b8w298

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6fUsVICYAEei5M.jpg

https://twitter.com/JaneEspenson/sta...72603811581952

"These are not the dwarves you're looking for"
    "Snow White and the Seven Droids"
    "Hook is Han!"
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Shouldn't Lucas look a little happier about getting a sh*tload of money?

https://plus.google.com/+ThinkGeek/posts/aL66gvRBgwv

vCash
    And so Pixar and Lucasfilms are back together again. So will we have "The Toys Strike Back"? "Finding Darth Nemo"? "Droids Inc."?

I really don't like the feeling of having Disney control so much of our entertainment. Monopoly anyone?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    This is the best news ever!!! Also, there is nothing wrong with the prequels, not even Jar Jar Binks. Prequel's dialogue sucked but let's not pretend Star Wars is Shakespeare. I had the MOST fun watching The Phantom Menace in theaters and the visuals in the prequels are still amazing. Can't wait to see Episode 7!!

3>6>5>1>2>>>4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Wow!!! is all I can say.,.that's a big number of dollars. I am so excited and surprised that George is letting go of something he kept strict control over. I hope they are able to stay true to the franchise... but, the lowest level for Star Wars was achieved with the Phantom Menace, so it's only up from there. If they do it right, they can make megga bucks with this.
    Phanton Menace had the best lightsaber battle of all the films, so that redeems it somewhat. Episode II was the worst, I could not follow the plot at all.

Pixar has done fine under Disney, so maybe Star Wars will as well.
    Last edited by algonquin; 10-31-2012 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Phanton Menace had the best lightsaber battle of all the films, so that redeems it somewhat. Episode II was the worst, I could not follow the plot at all.

Pixar has done fine under Disney, so many Star Wars will as well.
    Agreed! Ep1's final action sequence, Qui-Gon & Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul, Amidala and Naboo Guards vs. Trade Federation, Gungans vs. Battle Droids, and Anakin & Naboo Pilots in space, adding that epic score Duel of the Fates, IMO was the best action sequence from all Star Wars film.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I'm sorry, but all I could think when I got home from work and saw this was "Marvel, Muppets, now Lucasfilm...I OWN ALL THE COOL THINGS AND WE'RE GOING TO MAKE A METRIC TON OF MONEY!" (Then I went to look at my share prices and remembered they're not doing anything today, the market's closed.) I am going to send Bob Iger flowers. Best CEO ever! (However he better not screw this up. We got rid of Eisner after he made gobs of money, we can get rid of him, too.)

And if they actually manage to get Ep 7 off the ground, at least they'll hire someone who can write dialogue (there's a reason Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi flow better than the prequels, and his name is Lawrence Kasdan) and they can get a director who can actually tell actors something other than "Faster, more intense" (there's a reason ESB is the best Star Wars film ever and his name is Irvin Kershner.)

vCash
    Isn't Episode 7 supposed to have Luke, Han, Leia, etc., in it, along with Han and Leia's twins and son Anakin, and Luke's marriage to Mara Jade, etc.? Not that I was a huge Star Wars geek when I was a kid or anything.

But, I mean, are they going to stick with that plan and re-cast Han, Luke, Leia, etc.?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast