34 28.57%
  • Yuka Sato

15 12.61%
  • Carolina Kostner

28 23.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    ^^This. But in the end, I had to choose Janet. That 1971 Worlds exhibition is one of my favorite programs of all time. Still gives me chills when I watch it.
    This!
    Although I can never decide between John and Janet.

John and Peggy did a beautiful version, also.
    Not available on YT.

vCash
    Janet Lynn - no comparison really. Even John Curry is shown in the vid of Lynn's exhibition skate discussing her skate with his students and lauding her artistry, and pointing out all the exquisite details.

I believe John Curry's theatrical ice performance (very much an homage to Nijinsky's ballet) is unsurpassed in its artistic interpretation. But it is an ice theater presentation, and not done in competition or skating exhibition. To me that places his performance in a totally different category altogether.

So, then comparing the competition performances: Klimkin did a fine job interpreting this music -- he took artistic risks and they paid off beautifully. I wish there was a better vid available of his performance. I think Wong and Yuka were very flowing and lovely in their interpretations. Yuka is especially smooth as she was always known for -- and very deep in her knees. I always loved watching her skate. However, despite Yuka's talent and wonderful accomplishments, I think Lynn and Kostner are the stronger skaters overall, especially technically and athletically in their respective performances. Lynn is superior to all artistically. Carolina is coming more into her own now artistically (I truly believe that Alissa's artistry has inspired Carolina among current contemporaries).

Carolina's Faun performance is choreographically beautiful (Lori Nichol did a wonderful job for her to this music). In this 2011 performance, Carolina did pop a jump and land somewhat awkwardly on two others. However, I believe if Carolina continues to make the right choices musically and choreographically and if she continues to harness her strengths and master her nerves (and do all the jumps), she will have an advantage over the rest of the current ladies field.

Yet despite Carolina's talent, beauty and all the current technical advances in the sport, Janet Lynn's performances are still technically and artistically the best ever, IMO. Lynn's was pure skating -- breathtaking and miraculous.

vCash
    I've only seen Curry's version. That's all I need to see.

vCash
    If you've not seen Janet, who was John Curry's inspiration in many ways, you have missed something special.

vCash
    I watched a Janet Lynn interview the other day. I didn't realize how Christian she is. In light of that, I'm going to have to take her out of the running.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    I watched a Janet Lynn interview the other day. I didn't realize how Christian she is. In light of that, I'm going to have to take her out of the running.
    Seriously? I don't necessarily agree with much, if not most of what Janet Lynn believes in, but that's no reason to just dismiss her skating. She's far too fabulous to ignore.

vCash
    I'm sorry that the fact that she considered her skating a "God-Given" gift, "disqualifies"/lowers her, in your opinion.
    Even if I don't share her fervor about her faith, I can - and do - appreciate her enormous gift; and the joy with which she shared it.

vCash
    Its so easy to rile you guys up. I'll take a look at her interpretation and tell you what I think.

vCash
    I take exception to your "riling up" efforts. Your "interpretation" matters not, anyway. None of ours do in the scheme of things.

Fact remains: Janet Lynn has God-given talent and she magically graced the figure skating world with her wondrous gifts, inspiring all and sundry, except perhaps those unfortunate souls who've never seen her performances, or those who can't appreciate the essence of pure skating, or those who are visually and imaginatively challenged by the poor quality of old films/ tapes.

The Universe has spoken, and John Curry agrees!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Needless to say, I vote for Ilia Klimkin on this one. Unfortunately, the poll has no "Other" choice. He looks like a mischievous faun playing, and does unexpected, intricate things, which for me is just what the music is pleading for the skater to do.

Poor man, he had the bad luck to be skating for Russia when Abt, Yagudin & Pluschenko were all competing. And he tended to do stuff that was underappreciated under 6.0.
    Here is another vote for Ilia Klimkin! I agree - he was really unlucky with skating for Russia in an era when Russian male skating was amazingly strong. Great skater, bad timing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Yuka! Yuka! Yuka!..and her costume is the best designed , most subtle and beautifully executed of that type of costume ever...
    I am so with you

vCash
    As I remember, Yuka said that she did her program in tribute to Janet; and was very nervous to skate in front of her.

vCash
    I took a quick peak at Janet's version. 30 seconds was enough to remind me that Curry was in a class by himself. He took the piece back to its ballet roots. He was true to the original. Janet's program was plain old generic skating like we've seen time and time again. Nothing outstanding about it. Boooring.

vCash
    I looked at the other two as well, and I listed how I rate them. Sato's version has some artistic merit. Who choreographed it? Sandra Bezic?

1) John Curry
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7) Yuka Sato
    8)
    9) Janet Lynn
    10) Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I regret that you cannot appreciate why even John Curry regarded Janet as the very best example of all that is great in skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    I took a quick peak at Janet's version. 30 seconds was enough to remind me that Curry was in a class by himself. He took the piece back to its ballet roots. He was true to the original. Janet's program was plain old generic skating like we've seen time and time again. Nothing outstanding about it. Boooring.
    You miqht as well quit with the "riling up" efforts.

Like I said, Curry's ice theater interpretation is in a class by itself. He was inspired not only by Nijinksy but also by Lynn's original skate. The fact that Lynn was skating to Afternoon of a Faun in competition is what makes her performance all the more magical and amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ........The fact that Lynn was skating to Afternoon of a Faun in competition is what makes her performance all the more magical and amazing.
    Ah, that would have limited her options. Curry's competition programs were more conservative as well.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I hadn't.

Here's one version of Ilia's Faun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5a8MDtfn8M
    Oh, gosh! Thank you so much for sharing this version. I wish Ilia's version would have been added to the poll.

Yuka's artistic qualities were mesmerizing. She gets my vote.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    You miqht as well quit with the "riling up" efforts.

Like I said, Curry's ice theater interpretation is in a class by itself. He was inspired not only by Nijinksy but also by Lynn's original skate. The fact that Lynn was skating to Afternoon of a Faun in competition is what makes her performance all the more magical and amazing.
    Actually this was her exhibition from 1971 Worlds. She had used the afternoon of a faun as the opening section of her LP the previous season but not at all in the 1971 season. I guess they took her old LP and extended the faun section. She did compete this program at a pro ompetition at MSG in 1983

vCash
    Here's her performance at Madison Square Garden 1983:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvElljzi7rE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast