84 26.01%
  • Mao Asada

21 6.50%
  • Yu-Na Kim

10 3.10%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yu na has a natural ability for artistry. You could see it even when she was just 15. It will be tough to find that level of artistry combined with jumping ability. I don't see it in any of the young skaters, but they could develop it. Only time will tell if they can get there.
    As of right now, I think that Adelina Sotnikova and Julia Lipnitskaia have the propensity for artistry; however, the choreography they have been given is stifling their growth.

Adelina has a smooth flow to her movement, gorgeous lines and extension, great carriage and a lovely presence on the ice. She can bring drama as well as fire when she skates. Her Black Swan Ex as well as Hernando's Hideaway were fabulous. She has the musicality and attitude to pull off choreography but she hasn't really been presented with anything yet to challenge her.

Julia has great ease and control for a 13/14 year old. She has a nice presence on the ice and lots of flexibility BUT her Morosov-brand choreography is awful. Lots of pointless leg extensions and flexibility features that add zero to the overall impact of the program. She's another who would benefit greatly from better choreography.

Packaging is key for skaters. I definitely think these ladies have to potential to be strong artistically but they have to be given the right music and choreography...

vCash
    I think Julia has the most potential personally. She reminds me of a young Sasha Cohen, except with way stronger jumps and competitive nerve. Adelina isnt a strong enough jumper post puberty so I am not sure about her future, although she shows great potential on the artistic side of skating. Elizaveta will always be a bit of a jumping bean, which might lead her to some World titles, but she will never be the most revered skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think Julia has the most potential personally. She reminds me of a young Sasha Cohen, except with way stronger jumps and competitive nerve. Adelina isnt a strong enough jumper post puberty so I am not sure about her future, although she shows great potential on the artistic side of skating. Elizaveta will always be a bit of a jumping bean, which might lead her to some World titles, but she will never be the most revered skater.
    It's funny b/c Julia doesn't remind me of Sasha at all except that she has good ice presence her for her age. Sasha's had impeccable lines and presence in addition to the ability to feel and perform the music. Julia has a great presence for someone so young but she skates through her music sans feeling just like any other 13 year old. I have yet to see any flashes of artistic promise from Julia. I admire her competitive nerve and her flexibility is amazing...but that's all I see right now: a consistent, freakishly flexible skater. Hopefully as she matures she'll branch off into better choreography (ie. anyone but Morosov).

I wouldn't count Adelina out yet. Last season wasn't her strongest but it was also her post-puberty adjustment season yet she still managed to medal at every event minus 4CC (4th)...that makes me hopeful for her future. If she can get her confidence back, she could be a beast in the ladies competition. I really hope she gets good programs this year. Her Bolero SP was different but I liked it; however, her Libestraum was weak. Two strong programs and a little more confidence is all she needs to be gold medal threat at next year's worlds.

Liza T lacks the on ice presence both Adelina and Julia have. I do think she performs with more energy and pizazz than both ladies combined, but I feel like she'll be more of a technician than an artist in this sport.

vCash
    I think if Kwan had won gold in Nagano, she would've stuck around to try to win another gold in her own country. Kwan always talked about wanting to be remembered as a legend in the sport. We know she had high ambitions and I don't think pro competitions would have done it for her. I mean if she wanted to do shows and be a professional skater, she would have done it. However, she hasn't and instead chose a different course in life. Plus, Kwan was lucky in that she was in an era where she was allowed to make money as an eligible skater, and for a star like Kwan, I think the real spotlight and endorsements were in the eligible ranks where she could be marketed as a future Olympian not as a competitor for Ice Wars or Battle of the Sexes.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I am guessing if Kwan had won and turned pro after 1998, pro skating probably wouldn't have died so quickly. (but I can't imagine how much my soul would hurt to see Slutskaya dominate in the eligible ranks)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I am guessing if Kwan had won and turned pro after 1998, pro skating probably wouldn't have died so quickly. (but I can't imagine how much my soul would hurt to see Slutskaya dominate in the eligible ranks)
    Slutskaya was motivated by her rivalry with Kwan. Who knows if she would have even made as strong a comeback if Kwan was gone, after truly hitting rock bottom in 1999. Hughes or Cohen would have also had more political clout from the USFSA which without Kwan , and as Slutskaya and Butyrskaya both rarely skated cleanly at big events as we saw at the 2000 Worlds, 2001 Worlds, and 2002 Olympics, Hughes with her consistency and cheated triple-triples which were credited then might have had a chance of winning with the political backing of U.S #1 (although that would be an even scarier thought).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Kim outcompetes Michelle on... spiral,
    Okay, most people here know I'm about as far from a Kwan fan as it gets, but let's face it: Michelle had an excellent spiral and Yu-Na's is quite poor compared to -- lots of skaters.

(By the way, I have not being voting against Michelle or Yu-Na. Kind of shocked that anyone would be at this point...)
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213