Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    The fact that Sarah Hughes is Olympic Champion with that short program she skated is just sad.
    I became an unapologetic atheist after she skated that program.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    I became an unapologetic atheist after she skated that program.
    Yes, that SP didn't deserve to put her in the final LP group. Butyrskaya, Suguri, and Sebestyen were all better I believe. I guess being reigning World bronze medalist, reigning GPF bronze medalist, and having defeated both Slutskaya and Kwan at Skate Canada that season had given her a certain high level of street cred with the judges that promoted Hughes hype. Her SP ordinals were all over the place though from 4th to 10th I seem to remember. I would have had her in 7th there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
    Michelle or Irina would have won in 00
    Unless, of course, someone like Vanessa Gusmeroli or Viktoria Volchkova or Sarah Hughes herself had the skate of her life and finished first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    It's may be big in size and scale but it really is just one competition in the grand scheme of things.
    I suspect the skaters who have competed at the Olympics and those who dream to one day compete at the Olympics totally disagree with your it's-just-one-competition view of the Olympic games.

And so what that the billions of added viewers aren't "real fans". Which do you think the sport of skating prefers: that only "real fans" watch, or "real fans" plus billions of nonfans to watch?

Anyway, my earlier post was about the added pressure of the Olympics. You lose at Worlds, you can redeem yourself next year. Not so at the Olympics. And, the commentators and background stories inform viewers of the expectations. Nonfans of FS knew in 98 that Michelle Kwan was expected to win the OGM, and Michelle Kwan knew that the billions of people watching knew she was expected to win the OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I suspect the skaters who have competed at the Olympics and those who dream to one day compete at the Olympics totally disagree with your it's-just-one-competition view of the Olympic games.
    I suspect that World class skaters/athletes who never get the chance to go the Olympics for whatever reason would also disagree with you. Being the best in the world doesn't mean "Olympics" to all.

And so what that the billions of added viewers aren't "real fans". Which do you think the sport of skating prefers: that only "real fans" watch, or "real fans" plus billions of nonfans to watch?
    I think the sponsors love it, I think the skaters could care less. Do 'non fans' pay to go to a show. Casual fans are casual fans, or they are too lazy to change the channel. Like I said many people want to see the pageantry, then in two weeks they are over it.

Anyway, my earlier post was about the added pressure of the Olympics. You lose at Worlds, you can redeem yourself next year. Not so at the Olympics. And, the commentators and background stories inform viewers of the expectations. Nonfans of FS knew in 98 that Michelle Kwan was expected to win the OGM, and Michelle Kwan knew that the billions of people watching knew she was expected to win the OGM.
    Not everyone can redeem themselves the next year and skater know they can't take that chance. Also the Olympics are not a one time only for many athletes; S/Z have been 4 times and medaled three times with one gold. Many skaters have been twice and even three times.

Most of the top athletes who go into the Olympics expect to win a medal. Some people only like to watch to see if so-and-so will choke or rise to the occasion. They could care less about the athlete or the sport. No they are not 'real fans'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I suspect that World class skaters/athletes who never get the chance to go the Olympics for whatever reason would also disagree with you. Being the best in the world doesn't mean "Olympics" to all.
    Oh come on! When did I once say best in the world means Olympics? I'm talking about the importance that the Olympic games are to the athletes; that it's the ultimate goal and desire for most, and that there is added pressure when competing at the games.

And, I suspect your dismissive "it's just another competition" view would be different if your favorite skaters won the OGM.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    The pressure!

Surely there is tremendous pressure in winning World gold, but the Olympics is the biggest prize in the sport, it is seen by billions of more people worldwide, and with it happening once every four years, there's less opportunity to win it.
    I agree it's the mental pressure that makes a OGM worth more. Usually people only get one chance for Oly's, and the entire world is watching, but World's are lucky to get broadcast on just cable. Subconsciously, the athlete knows they're under more scrutiny at Oly's.

Anyone who can withstand that kind of mental pressure, and put out their top physical performance, seems to have accomplished a lot more, to me, than just Worlds. That's why I give Sarah credit for doing what she did, even though I was pulling for other skaters.

No, the 1994 Oly's were not "worth less" because it was in two years rather than four. The scrutiny and mental pressure was the same as any other Oly's.

The draw of Oly's adds a lot to an athlete's career. Look at how many athletes have held on and kept themselves in shape for another quadrennial so that they could have a second chance, rather than just having to wait a year for World's. So yes, it does have more value than World's.
    Last edited by leafygreens; 07-02-2012 at 04:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I agree it's the mental pressure that makes a OGM worth more. Usually people only get one chance for Oly's, and the entire world is watching, but World's are lucky to get broadcast on just cable. Subconsciously, the athlete knows they're under more scrutiny at Oly's.

Anyone who can withstand that kind of mental pressure, and put out their top physical performance, seems to have accomplished a lot more, to me, than just Worlds. That's why I give Sarah credit for doing what she did, even though I was pulling for other skaters.
    Hmm, there may be added pressure because of the increased scrutiny, but I still think that in the grand scheme of things calling an Olympic gold *objectively* more valuable than a World Gold arbitrary. There are just too many factors going into what constitutes a difficult competition. For instance, some think that the '06 Olympics was an easier competition than, say the '07 Worlds where Miki, Yuna, and Mao all turned in great long programs.

I guess my main point is that there is a "pressure" quotient that makes any given skating competition more difficult. But there are also other parts such as how competitive the actual skaters are. To say that the pressure always makes an Olympic gold more of an achievement is inaccurate. Yes, you may be more well known, get more endorsements, etc. but sometimes you don't.

In tennis for instance, the Slams have traditionally attract the biggest names at the top of their game while the Olympics have not, although this is somewhat starting to change. Thus, winning a slam is more of an accomplishment than an Olympic gold in tennis. Basketball and soccer are also analogous.

However, figure skating worlds typically attract the top competitors each year, and should not be universally regarded as a bigger accomplishment, although I understand that it may be more subjectively valuable.

vCash
    And, I suspect your dismissive "it's just another competition" view would be different if your favorite skaters won the OGM.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    No, the 1994 Oly's were not "worth less" because it was in two years rather than four. The scrutiny and mental pressure was the same as any other Oly's.
    In light of the large amount of publicity and viewership for the '94 Olys (at least in the US), would it be worth more than something like 2006 Olys, which didn't draw as many?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    In light of the large amount of publicity and viewership for the '94 Olys (at least in the US), would it be worth more than something like 2006 Olys, which didn't draw as many?
    My point wasn't in terms of viewership.

It was said the Olympic medal was considered more prestigious and had more pressure than Worlds because it only happened once every four years. It would only stand to reason the skaters who won their second Olympic medal two years later (in 1994) were less special as the ones who had to wait four years. People can't have it both ways.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567