Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    The chances of Michael going to '16 are infinitesimal. He has always planned for London but even gearing up for this one has been really, really tough for him, training- and motivation-wise. It would take a major change of heart and mind. This whole year has been a "retirement" tour for him - every time he did anything, it was "this is my last ___". "My last short course meet, my last GP meet, my last NBAC training session, etc".

Torres looked fantastic in the semis - I hope she can pull out a spot!
    Yeah I agree. I think others are speaking on what they want Michael to do, rather than what he himself would want. The man has nothing to prove, he is the greatest swimmer ever and probably will be for the next few hundred years atleast. He has even said putting through the grind since Beijing has been a tough haul at times. As for comebacks those rarely work well, unless you are Dara Torres it seems.

vCash
    Dara finished 4th

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    She had a better start and swim in the semis. Didn't want to see Kara Lynn Joyce on the team. I don't expect a thing out of her in London; too bad.

Andrew Gemmell, a Middle Atlantic swimmer, won the mile, good job for him.

I'm not shocked about the decision to drop the 200free for Michael. It makes sense timing-wise, it's going to be hugely competitive both with Lochte and internationally and, out of all of his events, it has the least "legacy" for him; it's the only one he's not 2-time defending Olympic champion in.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Kara Lynn Joyce has done eff-all in her 2 Olympics. She earned her spot but ugh.

vCash
    I'm confused about the relays.

I know top 6 from 100m free make the Olympic team (#3 thru #6 swim in prelims). But if both Phelps and Lochte get chosen for 100m free relay, then what would happen to Jason Lezek (6th place) and whoever was 5th place in 100m free?

Are they kicked off the Olympic team if the selection committee choose Phelps/Lochte over them?

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    About the relays - the top 6 make the Olympic team (in the 100free and 200free), but according to the rules, they're not guaranteed a spot on the relay. Any swimmer who makes the team in any event is eligible to swim the relay if the coaches decide to use them. The coaches make the decision on all available information - past performances, performance at training camp, etc. Also, a country can swim different swimmers in the preliminary and final round, and if the team medals in the finals, all swimmers win a medal, even if they only swam in preliminaries.

So, swimmers 3-6 could swim the morning swim, then swimmers 1,2, Phelps and Lochte could swim the night swim, and if they medal, all 8 swimmers would get a medal. However, usually they don't swim a completely different team at prelims and finals.(But they almost always swim at least a couple in prelims that are different from finals). I don't actually think Lochte will be on that relay anyway.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxRose81 View Post
    Kara Lynn Joyce has done eff-all in her 2 Olympics. She earned her spot but ugh.
    Agreed--she has been a disappointment in both of her Olympics. I would have much rather seen Torres or Magnussen make the team.

About the relays - the top 6 make the Olympic team (in the 100free and 200free), but according to the rules, they're not guaranteed a spot on the relay. Any swimmer who makes the team in any event is eligible to swim the relay if the coaches decide to use them. The coaches make the decision on all available information - past performances, performance at training camp, etc. Also, a country can swim different swimmers in the preliminary and final round, and if the team medals in the finals, all swimmers win a medal, even if they only swam in preliminaries.
    On the women's side, it will be interesting to see whether the coaches throw Natalie Coughlin onto the 4x200 free relay or even find a way to work her into the medley relay in the prelims. She's always been a great relay swimmer, and I could see the coaches throwing her on more than one relay just because of her experience. Plus, if she gets two medals in London, she'll beat Jenny Thompson's record for most medals for a U.S. woman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxRose81 View Post
    She has a four relay silver medals and was 5th in the individual 100 free and 50 free at the 2004 Games, and 6th in the 50 free in 2008. That isnt so bad. Do you expect every single member who makes a U.S Olympic team to win an individual medal.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    On the women's side, it will be interesting to see whether the coaches throw Natalie Coughlin onto the 4x200 free relay or even find a way to work her into the medley relay in the prelims. She's always been a great relay swimmer, and I could see the coaches throwing her on more than one relay just because of her experience. Plus, if she gets two medals in London, she'll beat Jenny Thompson's record for most medals for a U.S. woman.
    I don't think she's on the medley at all - obviously Missy is it for the finals and Bootsma has proven all season she can go no worse than 59 low.

There is precedent for Natalie to be put on the 800 relay without swimming it at all at trials, but who knows if she is in 200 shape at all. In Athens, her relay time would have just missed individual gold. She hasn't swum it in a while though, I don't think. Hoff not being on the team has left a bit of a hole on that relay though.
    Last edited by AYS; 07-03-2012 at 04:25 PM.

vCash
    My guess is that they'll be extensively practicing relays of every possible mixture during training camp, something the track and field folks should probably do more of given the frequency of relay DQs they've accumulated.

I'm more suspicious of Cullen Jones than of Coughlin. His weak leg was a key contributor to Lezak's needing a Herculean performance.

vCash
    I don't think she's on the medley at all - obviously Missy is it for the finals and Bootsma has proven all season she can go no worse than 59 low.
    I think Natalie will be used in the prelims on either the fly leg (if Donahue has a poor individual swim) or the free leg. Franklin (back), Soni (breast), Vollmer (fly), and Hardy (free) will most likely swim the final. Franklin was 2nd in the 100 free, but I'll be surprised if she swims the medley relay prelims. I think it would be good to have Coughlin's experience in the prelims with Bootsma, Larson, and Donahue having their first major relay swim for the U.S.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I agree, there is definitely a greater likelihood of Natalie doing either the fly or free in the medley prelims than the back. I also agree that Missy won't do the medley free at prelims and with your lineup for the medley final. I'll be very surprised if Soni doesn't win the 100breast individually and earn her spot on that final.

vCash
    I didn't realize that Davis Tarwater was added to the team for the 4x200 free relay after Phelps gave up his individual spot. I'm thrilled for Davis since he just missed the team in 2008 and then again last week (or so he thought).

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Speaking of which, here is the full roster:

Men:
    Alex Meyer - 10K Open Water
    Ryan Lochte – 200 Back, 200 IM, 400m IM, 200 Free, 800 Free Relay
    Peter Vanderkaay - 400 Free
    Brendan Hansen - 100 Breast
    Michael Phelps – 200 IM, 400 IM, 100 Fly, 200 Fly, 800 Free Relay
    Ricky Berens – 200 Free, 800 Free Relay, 400 Free Relay
    Conor Dwyer – 400m Free, 800 Free Relay
    Matt Grevers – 100 Backstroke, 400 Free Relay
    Scott Weltz – 200 Breast
    Clark Burckle – 200 Breast
    Nathan Adrian – 100 Free, 400 Free Relay
    Cullen Jones – 50 Free, 100 Free, 400 Free Relay
    Eric Shanteau – 100 Breast
    Nick Thoman – 100 Back
    Tyler Clary – 200 Fly, 200 Back
    Tyler McGill – 100 Fly
    Anthony Ervin – 50 Free
    Jason Lezak – 400 Free Relay
    Jimmy Feigen – 400 Free Relay
    Matt McLean – 800 Free Relay
    Charlie Houchin – 800 Free Relay
    Davis Tarwater – 800 Free Relay
    Andrew Gemmell – 1500 Free
    Connor Jaeger – 1500 Free

Women:
    Haley Anderson - 10K Open Water
    Elizabeth Beisel – 200 Backstroke, 400 IM
    Dana Vollmer - 100 Fly, 800 Free Relay
    Allison Schmitt - 400 Free, 200 Free, 400 Free Relay, 800 Free Relay
    Missy Franklin – 100 Free, 100m Backstroke, 200 Backstroke, 200 Free, 400 Free Relay, 800 Free Relay
    Breeja Larson – 100 Breaststroke
    Lauren Perdue – 800 Free Relay
    Caitlin Leverenz – 400 IM , 200m IM
    Cammile Adams – 200 Fly
    Kathleen Hersey – 200 Fly
    Claire Donahue – 100 Fly
    Chloe Sutton – 400 Free
    Rachel Bootsma – 100 Back
    Rebecca Soni – 100 Breast, 200 Breast
    Ariana Kukors – 200 IM
    Micah Lawrence – 200 Breast
    Jessica Hardy – 50 Free, 100 Free, 400 Free Relay
    Lia Neal – 400 Free Relay
    Katie Ledecky – 800 Free
    Kate Ziegler – 800 Free
    Amanda Weir – 400 Free Relay
    Natalie Coughlin – 400 Free Relay
    Shannon Vreeland – 800 Free Relay
    Alyssa Anderson – 800 Free Relay
    Kara Lynn Joyce – 50 Free

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    I didn't realize that Davis Tarwater was added to the team for the 4x200 free relay after Phelps gave up his individual spot. I'm thrilled for Davis since he just missed the team in 2008 and then again last week (or so he thought).

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Tyler Clary talks about Phelps

The fact that he doesn’t have to work as hard to get that done, it’s a real shame,” Clary said. “I think it’s too bad. You see that all too often, where you get athletes that are incredibly talented that really take it for granted. I think the things he could have done if he’d worked as hard as I do would have been even more incredible than what he has pulled off.”
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    He sounds whiny, bitter, and jealous. I'm sure it sucked for Tyler that Phelps trained the 400 IM for about 2 months before Trials and was able to beat him in Omaha, but Tyler needs to get over it. There's no question that Phelps slacked off on training after Beijing, but I think Tyler's comments about Phelps being lazy prior to 2008 are off base. You don't achieve what Phelps did without working extremely hard, even if Michael didn't work as hard as he could have all the time.

vCash
    Seriously. He clearly didn't pick up much media training while at Michigan. This absolutely does make him look bitter. Not to mention it's not so wise to make these comments on a swimmer known for his love of bulletin board material.

And honestly, Tyler presumes that the same amount of work is ideal for everyone which is ridiculous. Peter Vanderkaay, for example, recently said that he is a better swimmer if swimmming isn't the only thing he focuses on.

Phelps has said that it wasn't his intention to be training all out the last few years but, obviously, whatever training he did for Beijing was correct since he accomplished exactly what he set out to do. You can't do more than win every race you enter.

This statement is a bad move for Tyler. It makes him look bitter and kind of silly.

vCash
    Just shut up and swim Tyler! He's really just being a little drama queen, and messing with the team morale/dynamic. More than anything he just came off as bitter/jealous. He should just stick to worrying about himself...who cares how Phelps trains, and who is Tyler to judge? Even if Tyler dislikes him for his own personal reasons, that's fair enough, but keep that drama private. Phelps has done a lot for the sport of swimming....he should at least be respectful enough to keep his comments to himself, and let his swimming do the talking.

I had quite a few laughs reading the article though...He so came off as "I deserve a huge pat on the back for being the hardworking blue!collar! swimmer!!!!!!1!1!"

vCash
    I don't understand his motives in complaining about Phelps training habit. Does he think he's exposing him or something? Unless he's doping, no one cares what goes on in between competition. Phelps delivers when it counts.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast