Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post

At the Olympics, can you enter the prelims for any race once you've qualified for the games or are you restricted to two per country even in the prelims?
    Two/country regardless.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Two/country regardless.
    That's what I thought but I figured I'd make sure.

And yes, Ryan's never swam the 100 free relay so he'll have to swim it at trials if he wants a shot. Depending on how he looks, he should have a pretty good shot. Last year was a pretty big disappointment for the USA. I'm hoping Lezak is swimming better this year, for sure.

vCash
    I see that Phelps has scratched the 100free today (though Lochte still doing it). I wonder if he already has assurance he's on that relay. I know I heard Lochte is doing it specifically because he wants a shot at being on that relay - he wasn't part of that team in Beijing or Athens; in fact, don't recall him ever being on it in World champs either.
    I am surprised he didnt swim the 100 back with the same intention (to be on the medley relay). As great as he is though matching the 8 golds of Phelps in London, probably even the 7 golds of Spitz, was never going to happen. There are only 4 individual events he could ever win- 200 free, 200 back, 400 IM, 200 IM. He now probably has only 2 relays at most, so it would be 6 golds max. Interestingly if Phelps is doing all the same individual events, he isnt a lock to win even one individual gold, he could win anywhere from 0 to 4, plus there are tons of guys who could win the 200 free.

vCash
    Or Lezak won't make the finals unless Ryan scratches.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I would be really shocked if Phelps doesn't win the 200fly in London. All the other events, who knows, but that one would really surprise me. It would close the circle for his career, so to speak.

I'm happy Kukors making the team.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    I predict Phelps will drop 1 or 2 of the 8 events in London. He did say after Beijing he didnt want to do a program like that (relays included) ever again. I agree it wont be the 200 fly though. A good chance it would be the 400 IM since he probably wont win that.

vCash
    Based on the comments Phelps has made this week, I think he's going to swim all 8 events in London.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Yes, he did state very definitely in the 400IM post-race interview that he is doing that one in London. That's the only one I would have seen him dropping - of his core program, that is - he's already dropped the 100free and 200back here at trials. It's amazing to me that Bowman managed to talk him into doing it.

vCash
    I feel sorry for Natalie not making her event, the 100 back, but Missy is just incredible! I could see her breaking the world record, dont know if in London but will be very near

How many events she intends to add? I can see her doing 100, 200 back (would love to see her double gold) 200 free, plus the 4x200, 4x100 Medley

Could well add the 4x100 free though I would not recomend her to attempt the 100 free individually

vCash
    Grievers and Lochte have both officially scratched the 100 free which puts Lezak and Dave Walters (who is swimming with a broken wrist) into the final.

vCash
    happy to see Lezak in the final.

vCash
    Yes, he did state very definitely in the 400IM post-race interview that he is doing that one in London. That's the only one I would have seen him dropping - of his core program, that is - he's already dropped the 100free and 200back here at trials. It's amazing to me that Bowman managed to talk him into doing it.
    I'm sure Phelps had to be talked into doing the 400IM in the first place, but now that he's at the trials, I think his competitiveness has kicked in big time. I don't think he liked Lochte beating him at anything and we all know that once Phelps has something to motivate him - watch out. The races have been great and I will love watching the races in London.

I sort of hope Lochte beats him - at least once.

vCash
    I also think part of Michael's motivation to swim the 400 IM is to make sure he's the first male swimmer to win the same event at 3 Olympics. If he doesn't swim the 400 IM or doesn't win it, then Kitajima could actually beat Phelps to the record if he wins the 100 breast.

vCash
    I just have this feeling that Michael won't be able to shut Ryan out this year. But that Ryan won't be able to do it to Michael either.

for Shanteau in the 200 back. I was sure he had it. At least he's on the team for the 100.

vCash
    I just have this feeling that Michael won't be able to shut Ryan out this year. But that Ryan won't be able to do it to Michael either.

for Shanteau in the 200 back. I was sure he had it. At least he's on the team for the 100.
    Sucks that Shanteau and Hansen both miss the 200 breast team. I was rooting for both. For Shanteau especialy it sucks as I dont think he is a medal threat in the 100.

If I were to predict the outcome of the Michael vs Ryan races in London this would be mine:

400 IM: Lochte wins
    200 free: Neither wins, I honestly think someone else will
    200 IM: Phelps wins

Kitajima (who I detest) unfortunately will become the first man to win the same event 3 times in the same Olympics, doing it before Michael does.

vCash
    I definitely agree with you for the IMs. I think it'll be a big ask for Ryan to beat Michael in the 200 just minutes after swimming the back.

vCash
    Like many others, I would really, really like to see Kitagima come in 2nd or lower.

vCash
    Why do people dislike Kitagima? Just asking because I don't know very much about the swimming world

vCash
    Everything about that 100 free final filled me with joy. Nathan wins! Cullen makes it individually even though I totally wasn't expecting it! Ricky makes the relay!

vCash
    I definitely agree with you for the IMs. I think it'll be a big ask for Ryan to beat Michael in the 200 just minutes after swimming the back.
    I hope even if he loses the 200 IM to Michael he swims a great race and isnt affected by the 200 back final. He is far enough ahead of the others in the 200 back he can give a bit less and still win, so maybe he will do that, and then be able to swim his best in the 200 I.M and maybe win. There isnt really any competition in the 200 back for him with Piersol gone is there.

I think he is alot fitter and stronger than 2008 though so I actually think regardless how he swims the 200 back he will be able to swim his best race in the 200 I.M, even if he loses. I actually dont think it will affect him much, and it wasnt why I picked him to lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    Why do people dislike Kitagima? Just asking because I don't know very much about the swimming world
    He seems to have a nasty personality, and he used to cheat by doing small dolphin butterfly kicks off the turn(s). He did that to help him win both his Athens golds, and the 100 breast race especialy he likely would have lost without doing it and should have been DQed for doing it heavily. After all the controversy he did it much less in the 200 breast, and still won convincingly with Hansen swimming a poor race.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast