Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    Hang in there!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    So happy for Cullen Jones! And congrats to Anthony Ervin too!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    UPSET!!!!
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I'm watching these for the first time this week. Where are all the Speedos?
    Watch diving if you want to see those.

vCash
    It was so weird hearing Michael say that he swam his last Olympic Trials race ever.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    So happy for Cullen Jones! And congrats to Anthony Ervin too!
    Wheee!!!

vCash
    I loved Anthony Ervin in 2000 and was upset when he retired so young. He always seemed so confused and burnt out. I feel bad for Nathan Adrian...I wish it would have been Ervin and Adrian...I do not like Cullen Jones.

vCash
    Wow - Torres

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Wow - Torres
    She's got grit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    It was so weird hearing Michael say that he swam his last Olympic Trials race ever.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him try for Rio. He may say he's done, but he also said he was done with 400IM. I'd guess he'd take a couple of years off, but the competitive fire seems to start to burn, especially it seems for swimmers, once Olympics time rolls around again.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him try for Rio. He may say he's done, but he also said he was done with 400IM. I'd guess he'd take a couple of years off, but the competitive fire seems to start to burn, especially it seems for swimmers, once Olympics time rolls around again.
    I wouldn't be surprised either, but I would expect home to do a much lighter schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised either, but I would expect home to do a much lighter schedule.
    If he comes back (and I think he will), I wouldn't be surprised if he tries some different events. I could see him doing the 100 free for sure, and maybe he'd keep the 100 and 200 fly and do the relays. He's going to have nothing left to prove after London, but he could still make a lot of money in endorsements in 2016 if he even talks about coming back.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    If he comes back (and I think he will), I wouldn't be surprised if he tries some different events. I could see him doing the 100 free for sure, and maybe he'd keep the 100 and 200 fly and do the relays. He's going to have nothing left to prove after London, but he could still make a lot of money in endorsements in 2016 if he even talks about coming back.
    I thought he was going to do some different events for London.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I thought he was going to do some different events for London.
    That was his original plan, but I don't think he committed the training time in 2009 and 2010 that would have been necessary for him to tackle something like the 100 free. It took everything he had over the last 18 months just to get his Beijing program to the point where he could potentially win all of those individual races again in London.

vCash
    I dont see Michael swimming an event he would never win at. Unless Magnussen has a career ending injury he is never winning at the 100 free so that is an event I would never see him seriously tackling even if he returned at some point. Maybe he would try something like the 200 back which is an event he hasnt been able to fully explore and has the potential to challenge and beat Lochte or anyone else in perhaps.

Seriously though I think the odds of him continuing or coming back are like 5%. He will have smashed every record there is after London, even if he fell well short of his 8 gold haul in Beijing (and it looks more likely he could come very close to it) what would the point be.

vCash
    The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dara try for Rio too!

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    The chances of Michael going to '16 are infinitesimal. He has always planned for London but even gearing up for this one has been really, really tough for him, training- and motivation-wise. It would take a major change of heart and mind. This whole year has been a "retirement" tour for him - every time he did anything, it was "this is my last ___". "My last short course meet, my last GP meet, my last NBAC training session, etc".

Torres looked fantastic in the semis - I hope she can pull out a spot!
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Apparently Phelps is going to drop the individual 200 free from his London program. I'm a bit surprised that he's dropping that race--I think he has a better chance at winning that one than the 400 IM. Then again, the field in the 200 free is so deep that it's the only race in which he could conceivably end up off the podium as well.

This means that Ricky Berens will get to do an individual event in London--I'm really happy for him as he's had a great year and has always been a clutch relay swimmer for the U.S.

vCash
    I'm sad Phelps isn't doing the 200 Free but I'm just thrilled for Ricky. He already has two Olympic gold medals but this will be his first ever individual event at the Olympics.

vCash
    Apparently Phelps is going to drop the individual 200 free from his London program. I'm a bit surprised that he's dropping that race--I think he has a better chance at winning that one than the 400 IM. Then again, the field in the 200 free is so deep that it's the only race in which he could conceivably end up off the podium as well.

This means that Ricky Berens will get to do an individual event in London--I'm really happy for him as he's had a great year and has always been a clutch relay swimmer for the U.S.
    I always figured he would drop either the 400 IM or 200 free, or perhaps both. I didnt see him wanting to do all 8 events again. I wasnt sure which was more likely. The 400 IM he is the underdog to Lochte at this point, but has no other real competition now that the only other real challenger (Clarey) was eliminated at Trials by the stupid 2 per country rule. The 200 free there is a better chance of beating Lochte in, but the field is deeper here with 5 guys who could win, so as you said he could end up (although unlikely he would have) as low as 4th or 5th too. So the 200 free makes slightly more sense to drop. Plus the 400 IM gives him the chance to beat Kitajima to the record if he wins it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast